Springfield Express - 1889

Springfield, Missouri


January 4, 1889

Died at the family home 6 miles south of the city last Saturday afternoon, Sarah M. Crabtree, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Crabtree, aged 19 years. Her death resulted from injuries received when a team was frightened and ran away, throwing her out of the wagon on the 5 December 1886. Her remains were interred Sunday in the Nowlin graveyard.

From the Buffalo Reflex: On last Tuesday, Henry Pendergraft, in company with a young friend, started home from Buffalo. Darkness overtook them before they arrived at the ford of  Greasy creek. The creek was full and when Pendergraft tried to cross his horse must have fallen over a bank and probably threw him off. The friend called for Pendergraft, but not getting an answer returned to Ike Rains and gave the alarm. It was so dark nothing could be done. The following day the horse was found and the neighbors search diligently. The body was found on Thursday, lodged in a drift about ¼ mile below the ford. Mr. Pendergraft was an intelligent young man, sober and industrious. He was teaching and wanted to be at his post of duty next morning else this sad event would not have happened.

Died at the family home about 8 miles southwest of the city last Monday morning, William Walter Franklin, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. James C. Franklin, aged 34 years. His remains were interred in the Dollison cemetery a few miles southwest of the city. He was a native of the county.

Last Saturday, Miss Mary Nelson, aged 25, accidentally took an overdose of laudanum at the home of Mr. Williamson, North Campbell street, the effects from which she died about noon on Sunday. The circumstances showed the overdose was purely an accident.

Charles T. Smith, a brakeman on the Gulf line while coupling cars at Bois D’Arc last Friday slipped and fell, and his left leg was caught by the engine pilot and crushed below the knee. He was brought to this city, but the unfortunate man died the same day. His remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery. Mr. Smith was an Englishman, aged 25 and unmarried.

January 11, 1889

It is with profound regret we chronicle the death of Mr. C. Maxson, the well-known contractor and stone-mason. He died of pneumonia at his home in the southwest part of the city yesterday. Deceased was 34 years of age and leaves a wife and one child.

January 25, 1889

It is with profound sorrow that we announce the death of Mr. L.A. Newton, one of Springfield’s most worthy and highly esteemed citizens. After an affliction with consumption for several years, he died last Sunday morning, surrounded by his devoted family at his home on North Campbell. Following the funeral, he was interred in Maple Park Cemetery.
          Lewis A. Newton was the son of Henry W. and Mary (Coleman) Newton, and was born June 16, 1832 in Caroline county, Virginia. He was reared upon the farm and attended Richmond College for three years. In 1859 he removed to Lawrenceburg, Ky. where he taught school two term and then went to Owensboro, Ky. He returned to Lawrenceburg and on 30 September 1860 married Miss Eliza V., daughter of Edwin Martin. Their union was blest with nine children, four bays and five girls. He came to Springfield in October 1860 and soon went to Cassville, Barry county and followed his teaching profession. In the spring of 1862 he returned to  Springfield and accept the position of first clerk in the quartermaster’s dept. which he held until November 1865. In January 1866 he went with Capt. R.B. Owen to Fort Riley, Kansas, and took charge of the abstract dept. In November 1866, he returned to Springfield and engaged in prosecuting claims against the government. He was elected on the Democratic ticket to the office of county collector in 1874 and served two years. In 1860 he was county assessor and a member of the council in 1871 and has been a member of the school board. Mr. Newton was a Mason, and he and wife are members of the Baptist church. His father died in 1852 and his mother in 1876. They had seven children, four boys and three girls, of whom Lewis A. is the oldest.

February 3

From the Lebanon Rustic: A sad accident occurred 2 miles east of Lebanon yesterday afternoon from which Joe Fulbright, a young man living on the Allen place, will probably lose his life. He was out hunting and stopped to rest. He rested his double-barrel shotgun on the fence. The gun fell and discharged striking Mr. Fulbright in the hand and face, seriously wounding him. His right hand was entirely blown off and his face power burned.

Mr. H.A. Redmond died at his home on Robberson avenue last Sunday night, aged 73 years. His death resulted from injuries sustained by a fall on the ice over a year ago.

February 8

Long, descriptive article about a terrible train wreck on the Frisco track near Anchor mills when the trail derailed. Men mentioned were John Reynolds, slightly bruised, Val Mason and James O’Brien, who escaped unhurt. Killed were Charles L. Nason, switchman, aged 35, leaves a wife and one child (his remains interred at Maple Park Cemetery), George Lowery (of Walker, Mo.), aged 30, also left a wife and child in a delicate condition. His parents arrived here Monday morning and took the remains to Sedalia. Also killed were Wm. Miller, yard man, aged about 30, single and Ed McLane, the engineer, about 45 years and leaves a wife and two children, Chas. O. Browning, about 35, a man of fine appearance from East St. Louis, where he left a wife and three little ones. The body was returned to St. Louis. Injured were Frank Crawford, who had both legs amputated below the knee and John King, brakeman, aged 26. An inquest was held.

February 15

W.E. Westbrooke is standing his second trial for the killing of William Gross, at Bluemound, January 2, 1887. He was convicted at the last trial and sentenced to death.

Frank Crawford, yardman, who was in the terrible wreck the 3rd inst., died of injuries on the 7th. Deceased was about 45 years old and left a wife and 8 children. The interment was in Maple Park Cemetery.

Sunday morning Mrs. Mary Elder, recently from De Witt, Neb., was found dead in his bed at the residence of her brother D.D. Kerr, in Carthage, whom she was visiting. She was 64 years old. She suffered from heart disease.

February 22, 1889

Cabool, Mo.: February 14 — J.W. Kyle, a prominent citizen of this county, living near Houston, fell from his horse today and was instantly killed. During the war he received a scalp wound at the famous Gettysburg battle, which has caused him to become unconscious at time, and the supposition is that one of these spells came upon him and he fell from his horse, causing instant death. he was a member of the Masonic order and G.A.R.

March 1, 1889

Mr. R.W. Levan, superintendent of the alms house, and wife have met a sad bereavement in the death of their son Robert Elmer Levan, who died last Friday, aged 17 years and 18 days. His remains were interred in Hazelwood Cemetery. Robert was an unusually bright youth and very popular among all his acquaintances. When he realized he was bound to die he asked his father to convey his words of gratitude to his teachers and schoolmates.

Ozark, Mo., Feb 23: Two members of the anti-Terry faction of the Stone county feud, Frank and William Ambrose were brought to Ozark for safekeeping, charged with murder on A.C. Garrett on 1 December 1887. They were indicted for murder in the first degree last week. Both are young men, Frank being only 23 and his brother William 20.

Col. James A. Wood, one of three survivors of the Alamo massacre, died recently at his home in Bloomfield, Ky. aged 74 years. Col. Wood, in his account of his escape said that when Santa Ana ordered to prisoners to be shot, he dropped to the ground as if he had been killed at the first discharge. He began to roll over and continued rolling until he reached the river, when he sprang to his feet and never stopped traveling until he reached Kentucky.

Mr. James Rains, the oldest white citizen of this county, died of old age last Saturday at the home of son-in-law, Mr. James W. Boren, aged 90 years. Deceased was a native of Kentucky and removed from Maysville, that state to this place 50 years ago, and resided her continuously since. His remains were interred in Hazelwood Cemetery. He leaves only one child, Mrs. Boren.

Died at the family home in Boone county Ark. on 20th ult., Mrs. Bettie Young Fulbright, wife of Ephraim Fulbright, aged 79 years. Deceased was the mother of Hon. John Y. Fulbright of this county and resided near this city prior to the war.

March 8

Died at the family home in this city February 28, 1889, Leo, son of Mr. and Mr. R.E. Everett, aged 4 years and 22 days. The funeral took place Saturday and his remains were laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery west of the city.

The 18-day-old infant of Mr. and Mrs. E.G. Wadlow, residing on the North side, died Monday and was buried at Cave Spring the following day.

Mr. W.S. Norfleet, formerly an old and well-known citizen of the county, recently died of consumption at his home at Weatherford, Tex. He was a brother of Mr. G. Norfleet, living in the west part of the county.

March 15, 1889

The dead body of William Henlan living in the south part of Henry county, Missouri, was found on the roadside near his home Monday. There is no suspicion of foul play.

Exum, the 8-year-old son of Dr. R.M. Stancill died last Saturday at the family home on East Elmwood after a protracted illness. His remains were laid to rest in Maple Park Cemetery.

Mrs. Esther Barton, mother of W.J. Barton, died last Friday at her home on North Campbell street, aged 72 years.

March 22, 1889

Hon. W.P. Porter, member of the legislature from Dallas county, died at his home in Buffalo on 14th inst. aged 38 years. He left a wife and 8 children. His funeral took place under the auspices of the A.O.U.W. Mr. Porter took sick shortly after the election and was unable to attend the legislature at any time since it convened.

The funeral of Mrs. Henrietta E. Hainer took place from the Cumberland Presbyterian church at 10 o’clock Wednesday, the impressive services being conducted by Rev. J.W. Laughlin. Deceased was 58 years old and a native of Waterford, Virginia. She leaves three daughters and one son, Conductor Haines of the Gulf line.

Capt. Le Grand Morehouse died at his home in this city yesterday morning, aged about 76 years. Deceased was the father of Mrs. John A. Stephens and removed here a few years ago from Iowa.

A dispatch was received from Altoona, Fla. announcing the death of Col. James Dumars, aged 66 years. Col. Dumars was born in Pittsburg, Penn., and engaged in journalism man years in Memphis, Springfield and other points. He was receiver of the land office in Springfield until the election of Cleveland. Two years ago he removed form Springfield to Altoona on account health. He was the founder of the Daily Republican of this city.

Tuesday night at a dance 6 miles northeast of the city Freeman Myers attacked Jas. Kistler with a knife, stabbing him in the shoulder, breast, arm and head, inflicting wounds that the physician says will prove fatal. Myers fled and at least accounts was still at large. The trouble was on account of Kistler using disrespectful language about a sister of Myers.

Last Saturday night at Hardy, Ark. the local Gulf freight broke and while still in motion, J.F. Thomas, a brakeman, attempted to step from one care to the other and fell between them. One car ran over and he was terribly mangled. His head was cut off, his breast and left arm crushed, the left leg broken in two places and the right in one. The corpse was shipped to Chillicothe, Ill., where the parents of the deceased reside.

March 29, 1889

Two young daughters of James Hall of Stone county were thrown from their horses, and becoming entangled in the stirrups, were dragged through the woods until one of them was dead. The other was unhurt.

A horrible casualty took place on 19th inst. at Whinery’s mil on Sac river, about 18 miles west of here. A young man named Whinery, while oiling the machinery in the basement of the building was caught by the fly wheel and whirled around, his brains dashed out and his body terribly mangled.

Died at his home 5 miles southwest of the city last Saturday of cancer, Baker Russell, aged 57 years. Deceased was one of the oldest and best known citizens of this township and leaves a wife and eleven children, besides a large number of other relatives and friends.

April 5, 1889

Leroy M. Allen, aged 21 years, recently suicided at his home near Buffalo. He sat down on the bedside and placing the muzzle of a rifle at his breast, touched the trigger with his foot and sent a bullet through his heart. The young man left a note saying to his parents, “Be not grieved, as I have grown tired of life and its labor; I die because I see nothing worth living for.”

Died at his home in this city last Tuesday, of typhoid pneumonia, Mr. A.B. Walker, aged 38 years. Deceased was a brother of Mayor Walker and a bookkeeper for the C.H. Heer dry goods company. He leaves two little children, a son and daughter. His wife died about 8 months ago.

Mrs. J.W. Boren died Tuesday evening at the home on North Jefferson St. Her funeral took place from the South street Christian church yesterday and her remains were interred in Hazelwood Cemetery. Deceased was a daughter of the late James Rains and leaves a husband and six children.

William Johnson was arrested and lodged in jail on the charge of killing Harry Dean at Coal Hill, Johnson county, Ark. December 20, 1887. Johnson is a young man of good address and is 29 years old. When arrested he had just arrived here from Joplin. Johnson admits he killed Dean, but it was self-defense. He and Dean were partners engaged in teaming. They argued over a mare and Johnson said Dean was drinking and attacked Johnson with his shotgun. Johnson warded off the blows and broke his gun over Johnson’s head killing him. He then left the area and has spent most of his time in Texas and Kansas. He will be taken back to Johnson county for trial.

The remains of Henry W. West, who died in Kansas last Monday, were brought to Republic last Wednesday for interment.

April 12

Last Saturday Mike Moore fell from the loft of Stewart’s livery stable at Neosho, and received injuries from which he died in a few minutes. He was drunk and started to go up to the loft to sleep and fell. He was arrested some weeks ago at Aurora by Deputy U.S. Short on a charge of selling liquor without a license.

From the Bolivar Herald: Benjamin Tuck was found dead in a cave on the Michael McGuire place, one mile east of Brighton, yesterday evening. The cave has been used to store sweet potatoes. Mr. Tuck went to the cave after his potatoes, leaving his 12-year-old son at Brighton. About sundown the son became alarmed and found his father 200 feet from the mouth of the cave, dead. The sack of potatoes and a lantern were found with him. He must have been overcome by the foul air. He was fifty years of age and leaves a wife and seven children.

Terrible casualty in Henry Co. from the Clinton Democrat: Jacob Kneisely, who lives a few miles from the Jackson ford on Grand River called today to give some details of Sunday’s lamentable accident in which four children of Sterling Boyles were drowned. The family was returning from visiting his mother who lives on the Renfro place. They were crossing the deepest water and the swift current overturned the wagon. Lonvilla, aged 13 next May, was holding Frances, aged nearly 3 years. Calvin, aged 7 next July was also sleeping and these three were caught beneath the closing fitting wagon box and never seen again. Huston, aged 9 years next July was struggling in the water and then disappeared. Zella, aged 5 years, caught to a limb and was rescued. Mr. Boyles assisted his wife who carrying a baby. All methods were used by neighbors, but the bodies were not found by Tuesday. Twenty three years ago next September, Mr. Boyles fatter and brother were drowned by a sudden freshet in the creek between Sedalia and Georgetown in Pettis county. Mr. Boyles lives half a mile from Rudolph Snyder, who suicided by drowning in a well a few months ago, and two miles from the late resident of Geo. Hillegas, who met his death from a boiler explosion.

From the Ozark Republican: Mr. S.S. Lawing’s wife and children were visiting at her father’s, W.P. Cox on last Thursday April 4th, the little boys went out east of the house, where the leaves had been burned off. The oldest boy, seven years old, finding some wood still on fire, left the two little boys near the fire and went further down the hill. The youngest boy, four years old, was playing around the fire when his clothes caught fire. He ran toward the house where his mother took him in her arms and carried him to the house. Dr. Fulbright was sent for, but the little fellow died in a few minutes after the doctor arrived. The remains were interred in the Weaver cemetery.

A 15-year-old son of David Barnhart, near Seymour, was out duck hunting Wednesday when the contents of the shot-gun accidentally discharged in his abdomen. Dr. Tefft was summoned and fears the wound will prove fatal.

Died at the family home in Brookline last Tuesday morning, Mrs. John Westenberg, aged 40 years. She leaves a husband and five children.

The funeral of Rev. Edgar Pitts took place last Sunday afternoon and was largely attended by the colored people. Deceased has been a well-known colored minister at this place for more than thirty years.

Mrs. Olivia Bent died at her residence on Elm street last Sunday, aged 85 years. Deceased was the mother of the Rev. J.M. Bent. Her funeral took place from the first Baptist church, the interment being at Maple Park Cemetery.

April 19

After a brief illness with quick consumption, Miss Fannie A. Holsclaw died at the home of brother-in-law Mr. M.H. Kelly on Harrison street on Tuesday morning. Interment was at Maple Park Cemetery. She was born and raised in Howard county, this state and removed to this city about five years ago.

Mrs. S.A.D. Owen died yesterday morning at the family home 3 miles north of the city, aged 22 years. She leaves a husband and three little children one of which is an infant only a few days old. The funeral took place yesterday afternoon.

Miss Mattie Bent, sister of Rev. J.M. Bent, died at the home of her brother after a brief illness with pneumonia, last Sunday. The funeral took place Tuesday from the First Baptist church, the interment being in Maple Park Cemetery. The mother of the deceased died just a week before.

After a long illness with consumption, Larra Crane died last Monday at his home on North Jefferson aged 46 years. Funeral services were at St. John’s Episcopal church in the evening and remains sent to Boston, Mass, the home of his father, for burial. They were accompanied by his wife, who will return and continue to make this city her home. Mr. Crane had lived here for several years and was a member of the A.O.U.W. and the Knights of Honor, from which orders his wife will receive the benefit of $4000.

Last Wednesday Allen Norman and T.W. Johnson, aged respectively 19 and 18 started in a wagon from their homes in Christian county to Ozark. Each had a revolver. As they reached Highlandville, Norman handed his weapon to Johnson and it accidentally discharged, the bullet lodging in the left side of Norman’s stomach. Dr. Collins was called but pronounced the wound fatal.

Yesterday afternoon Brakeman Jas W. Adams fell from a Gulf freight train just west of Ash Grove and was horribly mangled by the wheels. He was brought to this city and died of his injuries last night. His home was Ft. Scott.

April 26

Young Allen Norman who was accidentally shot by T.W. Johnson died the following morning. The young men were on their way to Oklahoma.

A horrible tragedy in Bates county happened early Tuesday morning when Frank Wright, a large and prosperous farmer of Elkhart township, three miles west of Adrian fired into a charivari party of neighborhood boys, killing one and wounding two others. M.L. Burnett and a daughter of Frank Wright were married last Wednesday. The boys treated the couple to a charivari Thurs and Fri. the purpose being to make Mr. Burnett treat. Failing, they returned Mon. night. This came to the ears of the father-in-law, Mr. Wright, who took matters into his own hands. Armed with a shotgun he went to his son-in-law’s home and when the neighbor boys arrived, he ordered them off the property. When they refused to go, he fired, first striking Jesse V. Christoleer, a young man living near, about 23 years of age. The charge tore several ribs and he was taken tot home of Mr. Johnson, where he died in great agony. At first fire, the boys began to run. Ed Russell, age 18, was badly wounded in the neck, side and arm and his life is despaired of; Otis Peebles received a flesh wound in the right side. There were eight young men and they claim between six and eight shots were fired.

The funeral of Mrs. R.W. McChesney took place Wednesday at the Second Baptist church. Her remains and those of her son who died a few days before were taken to Shady Grove, Ky. their former home for interment.

Last Friday Mrs. J.A. Snyder, living seven miles northeast of here, left her little 7-year-old by, who was an invalid, in a chair by the fire while she went out to attend to her work. When she returned she was horrified to find the boy burned to death. His clothing had become ignited by a spark.

May 3

From the Ozark News: Mrs. Bud Ray of Sparta, who was so severely burned on the 8th inst. died of her injuries last Saturday morning.

A Memoriam to Rev. J.M. Cheasman by his Sabbath school workers. A copy of the resolution was sent to Prairie View Union Sabbath School [in Republic] and a copy furnished to the widow.

Mrs. David Walker died yesterday at her home on North Campbell St., aged 75 years. Her remains will be interred in Hazelwood Cemetery.

May 10

On May 3 for fine residences were burned at a loss of about $20,000. An infant child of J.M. Kinney was burned to death in one of the houses.

Long article about the executions of David Walker, his son William Walker and John Matthews, three of the baldknobbers. They were convicted of killing Charles Green and William Edens near Sparta on March 11, 1887. The men were hanged in Christian county Sheriff Zack Johnson.

One day last week Simon Kenski aged 17 years was found dead by the roadside south of Peirce City. His neck was broken and it is believed he was thrown from his horse.

Dixon, Mo., May 7: Great excitement prevails in this vicinity over the murder of Thomas McMichael, a deaf mute, who came to this locality last November and made his home with his friends, Mr. and Mrs. Hard, also deaf-mutes. Some time ago McMichael stopped at the home of Jacob Rector and the latter charged him with stealing $20. Rector, with the assistance of Andrew Martin and W.M. Jennings forcibly took $50 from McMichael and ordered him to leave the country or pain of death. The three men were arrested and indicted by a grand jury and are now awaiting trial. On the night of April 27 an unknown man visited the home of Mr. Hard and compelled McMichael to go with him. Three days afterward McMichael’s body was found a mile from the house, his head being nearly blow from his body. Constable Murphy has been compelled to resign owing to his inability to apprehend the murderer, for whose arrest $750 has been offered.

A few minutes after noon on Friday, fire brook out in a 2 story frame dwelling on Pacific street, occupied by John R. Shell and family. Mr. Shell is a carpenter and was away at work and his wife had just gone to a neighbor’s to get some milk, leaving her 7-month-old boy babe in his little carriage in the kitchen. When she returned the flames had completely enveloped the interior of the house and the little one was burned to a crisp. At the inquest, the mother testified she had been ironing and the stove had been very hot, but there was only one stick of wood left in it.  How the fire started is a mystery.

May 24, 1889

On Wednesday of last week John Collins, aged 18, went out with his gun to watch a deer lick on Bull creek in the northwest part of Taney county. When he did not return, friends searched and found him dead by a fence with a bullet hole in his head. While in the act of climbing the fence, he must have accidentally discharged his gun.

After a long illness with consumption, Mrs. Ollie E. Raymond, wife of Mr. B.S. Raymond, died at the family home in this city on May 16th, aged 31 years. Deceased was born in Marion, O., and leaves a husband and one son, aged 11 years and a large circle of friends. Her remains were laid in Maple Park Cemetery.

After a long illness Mrs. J.M. Patterson died last Sunday morning at the home of her son-in-law, Mr. A.Z. Chambers. Her remains were followed by a long procession of friends to Maple Park Cemetery.

May 31

After an illness with typhoid fever of over two months, Samuel R. Vaughan died last Saturday at the home of his brother, Judge James R. Vaughan, on East Walnut street. Deceased was born on his father’s farm in Christian county twenty-two years ago last September. After his father’s death in 1880 he came to this city and resided with his brother and attended school. Later he worked for a time as reporter on the Leader and was subsequently connected with the wagon company. He was one of the most talented and popular in this city. The interment was Maple Park Cemetery.

June 7, 1889

From the Neosho Times: On Sunday morning last as Mrs. Hattie Corbett, Mrs. Phelps and Miss Peddie Stewart were coming up North Wood street on their way to church in a buggy the bridle slipped from the horse’s head; the animal became frightened and dashed off at a breakneck speed, throwing the three ladies out with great violence, Mrs. Corbett’s head striking the railing of the fence, burying an inch bar into her skull. She continued to breath for 23 hours when at 9 o’clock Monday morning death mercifully came to her relief. The remains were interred in the Odd Fellows’ Cemetery. Mrs. Corbett was a Miss Wills and formerly lived in Iowa. She was a widow and leaves a little 12 year old boy. Miss Stewart and Mrs. Phelps were not seriously injured.

The remains of Judge George Hale, who was stricken with apoplexy and died in this city on the 29th ult. were taken back to his home in Douglas county for burial.

Mr. R.A. Clark died quite suddenly about 2 o’clock this afternoon, his death being caused by congestion of the lungs.

Mr. Washington Merritt died last Sunday at his home in this city and his remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery. Deceased was one of the pioneer citizens of this county, having come here in 1840 from Williamson county, Tennessee., were he was born Jan. 30, 1809. He was the father of twelve children.

From the Pineville News: Last Wednesday morning Mrs. Lavina Chenoweth, relict of the late Dr. H.S. Chenoweth and mother of the late Dr. A.W. Chenoweth, dropped from a chair in which she was sitting and expired in a few minutes. Her remains were taken to the Neosho cemetery for burial. She was in her 77th year and was loved and respected by all.

June 14

A young man by the name of Chandler, who was employed as engineer at a pump shaft in the Joplin mines, was shot and instantly killed Wednesday night. He was found dead by the engineer who came at midnight to relieve him. The ball entered the murdered man’s head at the base of the brain. Chandler was a most popular and exemplary young man and no reason can be assigned save for robbery as the man’s fine gold watch is missing.

Early last Sunday morning the dead body of Gus Nelson was found on the track of the Gulf railroad in the east pat of the city, where it had been run over and horribly mangled by the cars. Deceased was about 45 years old and since last March worked as a moulder in the car foundry. Saturday evening he drew a month’s pay and said he was going to St. Louis to visit his people in St. Louis. Later in the evening he purchased two pints of whisky and was also drinking beer and one glass of wine. with Wm. Richardson with whom he boarded on the North side. About midnight, Richardson sates, Nelson came to the house and left some things and that was the last seen of him alive. Coroner Paxson began the inquest and the jury returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased came to his death at the hands of a party and parties unknown, and that after he was killed, Nelson’s body was placed on the track to be mangled by the cars in order to hide the crime.

The funeral of little Helen Thoms, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Thoms, took place last Friday forenoon from the family residence, and her remains were laid to rest in Maple Park Cemetery.

After a protracted illness with Bright’s disease, Dr. Geo. M. Cox died early last Saturday morning. The remains were followed to their last resting place at Maple Park Cemetery. Dr. Cox was a native of Dixon county, Tennessee, and was 54 years old. He resided in this city and practiced his profession for nearly 25 years and served two terms on the local pension board. His wife, a daughter and son survive him.

The funeral of Hon. Robert A. Clark, who died of congestion of the stomach last Friday took place Sunday from his late home in the city. The interment was in Maple Park Cemetery. Deceased was born in Pennsylvania 55 years ago, but resided in Southwest Missouri since before the war. He engaged for some time in merchandising at Dadeville and represented Dade county one term in the legislature. He removed to this city in 1876, and was in business here up to the time of his death, then being president of the Queen City milling company. He was a consistent member of Calvary Presbyterian church and one of Springfield’s most enterprising and progressive citizens. His wife, two daughters and a son survive him. 

June 21

Nevada, Mo., June 16: Peter Kloutz, aged 25 years, a prominent farmer and stock raiser of Deerfield township stepped from his barn during a violent electric storm yesterday and was struck by lightning and instantly killed. His clothes were almost entirely consumed by the flame. His beard was burned to a crisp on the left side and not a single hair was left on the right. He leaves a wife and one child.

Lebanon, Mo., June 16: At a meeting of the wheel at Turner school house last night Thomas Bohannon, a wealthy farmer, shot and instantly killed Martin Fulbright, one of his neighbors. Bohannon was tried by the authorities of the wheel on charges made by Fulbright, but the charges were not sufficient to warrant his expulsion. The members went to Bohannon and Fulbright and asked to drop their quarrel and become friends. Bohannon agreed, but Fulbright refused, at the same time accusing Bohannon of having sworn a lie against him in the circuit court here. Bohannon told Fulbright this was false, when Fulbright advanced upon him, with a knife and Bohannon shot him. The ball entered the head just above the right eye.

Last Monday Wm. Whipple, age 35, foreman for Capt. Davis, fell from the top of a 3 story building on Commercial street and sustained injuries from which he died yesterday morning. His remains were buried yesterday. He leaves a wife and child.

Died at the family home in Brookline, last Tuesday, Mrs. Julia A. Sumner, aged about 65 years.

June 28, 1889

Mrs. McAdoo, wife of Dr. Joseph McAdoo, died quite suddenly of rheumatism of the heart at the family home, 1007 Union street last Saturday night. The funeral took place Monday and the remains were interred at Hazelwood Cemetery.

After a long illness with consumption, Bert, eldest son of Mr. C. Hamontree, died at the family residence in this city last Saturday morning. The funeral took place the following day and his remains were laid to rest at Cave Spring.

About one o’clock Wednesday morning Everitt Montgomery, aged 21 years jumped from the eastbound freight train going at full speed at Turner’s station and his head striking the ground, dislocating his neck. The coroner ruled he came to his death from his carelessness. The young man’s remains were forwarded to Buffalo, Mo. for interment, where his mother resides.

C.L. Perry, father of Agent E.J. Perry of the Memphis road, died at his 637 College street Sunday, aged 73. The cause of death was cancer. The remains were shipped to Sweetwater, Wis.

From the Bolivar Herald: Dr. W.W. Ellis died suddenly at his home in Morrisville last Friday the 14th of apoplexy. He retired Thursday night apparently his usual health, but soon became unconscious and expired at 6 o’clock the next morning. He was born in Robertson county, Tennessee, June 4, 1842. He was educated at Bethel College, Kentucky and followed the profession of teaching for several years in Tennessee and Springfield, Mo. He pursued his medical studies at Nashville and Vanderbilt universities and was graduated in 1874. After practicing at Fair Grove for several years he moved to Morrisville, which has since been his home. He was married to Miss Florence Woodward, or Robertson Co. in 1869 and with her leaves two daughters and a son surviving. Dr. Ellis was a high-minded Christian gentleman, a successful physician and an enthusiastic student. He was president of the Polk County Medical Society, trustee and treasurer of Morrisville College and was universally respected.

Miss Irtie Arnold, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G.W. Arnold, died at the family resident in the city last Wednesday morning, aged 19 years. The funeral took place from the Church of the Immaculate Conception and interment was in the Catholic cemetery. Deceased was one of the most popular and accomplished young ladies in the city.

July 5, 1889

Thos. Turner, a young man, was drowned in Beaver Creek, Taney Co. last Sunday.

Cuba, Mo., June 30: Capt. Upchurch, son of J.J. Upchurch found of the A.O.U.W. was drowned today in the Meramec River.

Ozark, Mo., July 4: News has reached here that the eldest son of Wash Middleton has killed detective Jim Holt on the Arkansas border. A year ago this month Holt killed Wash Middleton at Mount Partheon, Newton Co., Ark. at a picnic. Middleton had escaped from the Taney county jail nine months previous, having been convicted to a long term in the Missouri penitentiary for the murder of Sam Snapp through a bal knob feud. Middleton’s sons swore they would have Holt’s life in exchange for their father’s and within two or three weeks of the anniversary of their father’s death one of them had made good the oath. Jim Holt was 25 years old and the eldest son of Esq. W.H. Holt, of Lead Hill, Boone county Ark. He was well-known in Montana and Idaho, where he had worked for the Pinkertons’ and killed a man or two in the discharge of his duties. Middleton shot him from the bush.

Mr. J.W. Eaton, who lived on Atlantic street, died quite suddenly last Saturday afternoon, aged 74 years.

Last Saturday afternoon Isaac Ward, aged 22, while bathing in the lake near Ash Grove got into deep water and was drowned, despite the efforts of his companion, S. Merritt to save him. The young man’s remains were taken to Webster county on Sunday for interment.

July 12, 1889

Long story about the double homicide at Kirbyville, Taney Co. on 4th July. Victims were Sheriff G.E. Branson and Ed. Funk, an alleged detective. Wm. Miles and brother Jim, age 17, were the killers. Wm. Miles surrendered to Sheriff Dodson in Springfield last Tuesday. He was under an $8,000 bond on the charge of killing Capt. Nat N. Kinney at Forsyth last August. His cousin R.W. Cline, a merchant at Forsyth was his bondsman.
      According to Wm. Miles, Ed Funk pulled a gun on him and leveled it as Miles’ head; it was then that Jim Miles shot Funk, who as he died, shot Jim in the thigh. Sheriff Branson then opened fire and Wm. Miles shot Branson through the head. Another brother Manual Miles was present, but did not get involved in the shooting. They left Jim at a farm house. Wm Miles said he went to Springfield for protection because the Bald Knobber friends of Branson were so bitter against him in Taney co. The Miles are anti-Bald Knobbers. He claims he killed Kinney in self-defense.
      Funk, who claimed to be a detective, went to Taney Co. from Eureka Springs a few years ago to investigate certain alleged postal robberies. He was accompanied by Jas. E. Dennis, another alleged detective who was killed by Albert Coombs on June 20. Coombs is in jail in Taney Co.

The Bald Knobber friends of Branson claim the Miles boys had been displaying pistols at a dance stand and that Branson was trying to arrest them.

Last Saturday afternoon Pearl West, the 12-year-old son of Marion West, was shot through the head and instantly killed by Herman Scheiking at the street car barn on Boonville street. At the coroner’s inquest, Scheiking stated he was 15 and was change boy of the Citizen’s Railway company. He placed a pistol, which was in an odds and ends drawer on the counter to get some change. When he replaced it, it accidentally discharged and killed West. Scheiking had not conversed or quarreled with the deceased.

July 19

Last Saturday Owen Fisher, a prominent farmer of Taney Co. aged 65 years, attempted to get the mule he was rising to cross the White River a few miles from Forsyth. The animal became stubborn and back up against a tree, crushing Fisher so that he died of injuries the following day.

Important developments re: the killing of Sheriff Branson: there has been a rumor that Rufus Barker, a cousin of the Miles boys took part in the affair and actually shot Branson. It is said that Barker was concealed behind a tree and fired on Branson as the officer approached the Miles brothers. The Barkers have always been active in anti-Knobbers activities. Samson Barker, an old citizen of Taney county was Deputy Clerk under Tom Layton when the Bald Knobbers hanged the Taylor boys. Two boys named White, not more than 15 and 17 respectively were also arrested were near the Miles boys when the shooting occurred but no other fact implicates them.

Mrs. Mary Cannefax, widow of Chesley Cannefax died of heart disease yesterday at her home five miles southwest of the city. Mrs. Cannefax was sister of Messrs W.M.A. and T.B. Townsend of this city and mother of Mrs. E.D. Ott. She leaves three daughters and three sons, all grown.

The little son of Mr. and Mrs. James W. Johnson died at the family home in Thayer on the 9th inst. The remains were brought to this city and interred in Maple Park Cemetery.

July 26

Last Friday afternoon, Luther Genovle, the step-son of J.H. Faunce, died from the effects of poison he drank his coffee that morning at the breakfast of the boy’s mother and brother. The other two recovered. The coroner’s jury was not able to determine if the poisoning was accidental or on purpose. The boy’s parents deny having any knowledge of the affair.

Died at the family home near Junction City last Tuesday, Dorsey Biggs, son of Mr. and Mrs. L.A. Biggs, aged 20 months. The funeral took place the following afternoon.

Mr. Wm. A. Townsend, while walking in his yard, was suddenly stricken with a paralysis and he fell to the ground unconscious. He never regained consciousness. He had returned only a short time before he was stricken from the burial of his sister Mary Cannefax. The remains were laid to rest in Maple Park Cemetery. Mr. Townsend was born in Logan county, Ky. September 5, 1832,  came with his parents to this county. He went to California in 1856 and resided there until 1872 when he returned to this city. For several years he has been on of Springfield’s leading business men. He was a Mason and a consistent member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. In 1855 he was married in this place to Miss Nancy Rainey; his wife and four children survive—Mrs. Sarah V. Skene, Mrs. Mary E. Newhall of Franklin, Ky. and Messrs W.N. and George Townsend of this city.

From the Billings Times: Last Friday Silas Schnider, living with his father in Stone county, about 6 miles south of Billings, went into the lot to ring a bull that he has been attending all season; from some unknown cause the bull became enraged and gored him badly. He lingered until Saturday when he died.

After a protracted illness, Mr. W.A. McElhany died last Monday afternoon at his home ten miles southwest of the city. His remains were interred at Lindsay chapel graveyard. Deceased was one of the eldest and most highly esteemed citizens of this county, where he has resided the past half century. He was born in Grainger county, Tennessee. 67 years ago and came here with his parent before he was grown. Among his brothers is Maj. R.J. McElhany of the First National Bank. He leaves a wife and three children, two daughters and a son Geo. L. McElhany, besides a large circle friends. Correction Aug. 2: Mrs. McElhany died several years ago.

August 2, 1889

Last Monday Jas H. Faunce was arrested and lodged in jail on the charge of murdering his 10-year-old step-son, Luther Genovle. Faunce’s wife was also arrested on the same charge, but was released the following day. It will be remembered that the boy died from poison that he drank in his coffee about two weeks ago. The boy’s older brother, William, also drank the coffee and became very sick, but recovered. Since Faunce and his wife made statements about the matter which led to an investigation by the grand jury. Faunce said he bought the poison, Rough on Rats at the request of his wife who wanted to kill a dog and that he saw her put something in the coffee. Her object was to get ride of the two boys so that she and he might live more together. The boys made trouble between them. The prisoner is rough ignorant sort of man about 30 years old and was married to the woman at Bolivar nearly ten years ago. His wife is about ten years his senior.

Gracie, the babe of Mr. and Mrs. A.Y. Ross, died at the family home in this city last Friday, and her remains were interred the following day at Maple Park Cemetery.

Carthage, Mo., July 26: A year ago May Volney Fullerton, a young farmer, was bitten by a mad dog. A few days later her was taken to Kansas City to have a mad stone applied. It was supposed that all the poison was withdrawn, although Professor J.M. Stevenson, a cousin of the afflicted man wanted him to go to Paris to be treated by Pasteur. Last Friday, after working, in the field, he became overheated and seemed feverish. Later he suffered in his arms and throat and when water was offered him he strong a strong aversion to it. He also exhibited other signs of hydrophobia. He died yesterday at noon in great agony. He was to be married next month.

On Monday of last week, Jesse Royal’s little one-year-old child was lying in the doorway of his home when wind forced the door against the little one’s head, crushing its skull and killing it almost instantly.

Lamar, Mo., July 27: Willie Hamilton, aged 9 years, accidentally shot and killed his 6-year-old brother, Jesse, yesterday. The boys, while playing, discovered an old musket, which Willie pointed at his brother, with the remake, “Look out. I’m going to shoot you.” The gun was discharged and the little victim fell dead.

August 9

Mrs. Jolly of Lebanon fell from a porch Sunday and died form the effects Tuesday. Her husband was only recently killed by a fall from a wagon.

Newton Byers, aged 20, committed suicide by shooting himself at his home in Jasper county a few days ago because his father refused to let him have a team to go to town.

August 16

After a protracted illness with paralysis, Mr. J.B. Webb died at his home in this city July 25th, aged 42  years. In accordance with his request his remains were buried in the National cemetery, he having been a Union solder. Deceased was a native of Illinois and leaves a wife and one son, Leslie.

Mrs. J.P. Stover, mother of Mrs. W.E. Eddy, died Tuesday morning of asthma and other troubles at her home on East Elm Street.

August 30

F.O. Larson, whose team ran away with him on Boonville street last Saturday, died from his injuries last Monday. He lived near Mt. Grove, this state.

Mrs. F.H. Shipman died last Tuesday at the family home on East Walnut street, aged 25 years. She was a native of Iowa and a niece of Judge Jas Baker. The funeral took place Wednesday at Christ Episcopal church, the interment being in Maple Park Cemetery.

Last Monday morning, Mr. M.E. Bunger of the Bunger and Dalger Stove Co. received a telegram with the said intelligence his wife had suddenly dropped dead at Bloomington, Indiana wither she had gone to the attend the funeral of her mother. Mr. Bunger and his only daughter, Miss Haddie, left for Bloomington, where his wife’s remains were buried by the side of her parents and brother. Deceased was an estimable lady, aged 41 and had made a host of friends since she became a resident of this place.

About 10:30 last Wednesday morning, Mrs. Emma Huff, wife of policeman H.B. Huff, suicided by shooting herself through the left side of the breast at the family home 936 North Main street. She lived after firing the fatal shot nearly five hours. The cause of her act is said to have been suffering from heart troubles and headaches. Her husband had gone to Mrs. Noblett’s a neighbor, to retrieved their only child, a little 2 ears old girl. When he returned and found her, he said, “My God, Em, what did you do this for?” She only replied, “You are the only man I ever loved.” Details of the suicide given. Mrs. Huff was 39 years old and was quite good looking. She and her husband were married at Palmyra, Mo., in 1873 and came to this eight years ago.

September 6

Died at the family home in this city on Saturday, Gertrude, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Walker, aged 11 years and six months. The funeral took place Sunday afternoon and a large gathering followed to Maple Park Cemetery where she was interred. Gertie was one of the brightest and sweetest girls in the city and will by sadly missed for a long time to come.

Deputy U.S. Marshal Burns arrived in the city and from him we learned of a horrible affair near Chadwick last Monday. Mary Hale, a lady of about 25 years who had been living divorced from her husband, for some time was cooking for the men of the railroad. She had been staying at the city hotel. Monday she reportedly went into the woods and was followed by the landlady who saw her burying something. It turned out to be an infant girl and still alive. The infant, however, died from injuries it has sustained. An inquest will be held. The mother is said to be the daughter of Squire Brundige of Ozark.

September 13

Last Monday ex-Sheriff W.S. Ryan, a prominent businessman of Mt. Vernon was killed by a drunken colored man named Bill Lewis. The two men had a dispute over an account in Ryan’s drugstore and Ryan told the man to come back when he was sober. Receiving an offensive reply, Ryan threw a hatchet at Lewis. Lewis went out, picked up half a brick, and striking Ryan in the side, effects from which he died the following day. At last accounts, Lewis was still at large.

The wife of Andy Savage was shot and killed in Stafford Wednesday morning. Accounts say that John Davis, who lived in a little house near Savage asked to stay the night. Savage said he was not prepared to keep him where upon he began shooting into the house, the third shot hitting Mrs. Savage in bed and killing her instantly. A few hours later Davis was arrested and to keep him from being lynched was brought to the Springfield jail. When he was taken back to Strafford for a preliminary hearing, old man Ford, father of the murdered woman, rushed him with an axe. Ford’s son also made a futile attempt to get at Davis with a club. Davis was then ordered back to jail. Mrs. Savage leaves her husband and four little children, the eldest just eight years old. Davis, the murderer, is about 40 years old and apparently about half demented. He has studied law some and has written a great deal of trashy stuff, some of which he says has been published. The only cause for the shooting is because Savage’s brother had poisoned Davis’ dog.

Charles Lirnig, a farmer living near Hickory Barren, committed suicide Tuesday by shooting himself in the head with a 38 caliber revolver. Disappointment in love is thought to be the cause as he was devotedly attached to a young lady who had recently jilted him.

September 20

James M. Hyde, a carpenter, suicided at Bolivar last Tuesday night by taking Rough on Rats. General despondency is the cause assigned.

Miss Jennie Roberts, daughter of Mr. St. F.C. Roberts died of typhoid fever Tuesday morning at the family home in this city, aged 20 years. The remains were laid to rest in Maple Park Cemetery.

Mr. Neville O. Mercer, who for a long time has been employed in the abstract office of Jas R. Bell, died quite suddenly Tuesday night, aged 32 years. His remains were interred yesterday in Maple Park Cemetery. Deceased was a native of Louisville, Ky. and leaves a wife, but no children.

Died at his home 4 miles south of the city, September 6, 1889, John H. Boyts, aged 49 years. Deceased was born in Somerset Co., Pennsylvania and has been a resident of this county for a long time. He was a whole souled gentleman. He leaves a wife and eight children, the eldest being 17 years of age and the youngest a baby.

Brookline, Sept. 16: Mr. Westenberger has returned from Fulton whither he accompanied his little son who was rendered deaf from spinal meningitis two years ago. Mr. W. lost four of his family by the same disease that winter.

Harry Bennett is very low with typhoid fever and is recovery is doubtful.

September 27

Mr. David Steele recently died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Barnett in Stone county, aged 82 years. He was born in Williamson county, Tennessee and came with parents to Greene county 57 years ago and settled on the farm in Wilson township. He was married to Elizabeth Cannefax, sister of the late Chesley Cannefax and always voted the Democratic ticket. He was a brother of J.P. Steele, formerly of Brookline, now residing in Marionville, uncle of Mr. W.F. Steele of Brookline. Mr. Steele was highly esteemed by all who knew him. He leaves four children. He was a brother of Rev. Wm. Steele, one of the pioneers ministers of the C.P. church.

Alberton A. Button died at his home 3 miles east of Springfield last Tuesday night, age 81 years. Deceased was for many years a citizen of St. Louis and came to this county some five years ago.

Newt Herrell, charged with killing Amos Ring in Taney County was released on bond from jail after about five years imprisonment. His friends are confident he will be acquitted.

October 4

Capt. J.T. Hubbard, after a short illness with typhoid fever, died Sept. 29 at his home south of the city, aged 68 years. He was born in Rutherford County, Tennessee, and came to this city soon after the war, and for many years was one of the leading in insurance here. During the war, he was captain of the 46th Missouri Infantry and for several years a member of the Capt. John Matthews Post of GAR. His remains were interred in Hazelwood Cemetery. He leaves a wife and four children, two sons and two daughters.

It is with profound regret that we chronicle the death of our old friend Capt. N.E. Kingsbury at his home in Ft. Scott last Saturday. On the previous Monday he swallowed a splinter from a soup bone which lodged in the lower part of his throat. It passed down, but not until in injured parts extending into the bronchial tubes which resulted in death. Capt. Kingsbury was an old resident of Ft. Scott, a Union soldier and had filled various positions of public trust. Before going to Ft. Scott, he was a sea captain. He was a genial whole-souled gentleman.

Wednesday morning, Willie Wilkerson, the 17-year-old son of N.T. Wilkerson was driving into the lumber yard of S.A. Brown & Co. when the pole of his wagon broke, and the wagon ran rapidly down the decline. Young Wilkerson fell forward to the ground and two wheels passed over his legs and body causing the injuries from which he died.

The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. J.K. McConnell recently died at the home near Republic.

October 10

Last evening Oliver Cobb, age 16, met sudden death by an accident on Main and Phelps avenue. He was assisting Wm. Hall in hauling brick. Both were riding on the front end of the wagon when the wheels struck the high street railway and the jolt caused the gate to fall out. Both young men fell to the ground and the wheels passed over Cobb’s body causing his death in 20 minutes. His remains were taken to the home of his parents on Billings and Phillips streets.

Mrs. Margaret Sayers, an old and highly esteemed citizen of this county died last Wednesday at her home about 13 miles southeast of the city, aged 71 years. She was a devout member of the M.E. Church South and located in this county 49 years ago.

October 18

The funeral of U.S. District Attorney E.E. Kimball took place yesterday.

Joplin, Oct. 14: New was brought from Zincite, a mining camp six miles northwest, of the mysterious murder of Walter Dorn, aged 15 years. Young Dorn left home Saturday on a hunting trip with a shotgun. When he did not return, a search was initiated, resulting in the discovery of his body in a thicket 11/2 miles from home. The skull was broken in several places and his features unrecognizable. Knife cuts were distinguished as flesh wounds. The gun was gone. No clue has been ascertained as to the perpetrator.

Carthage, Oct. 13: George N. Horn, a grocery store keeper who lives in the southwest part of the city was shot three times by some unknown person. He had just closed his store for the day and was going to his home about 300 yards away. When he was found, his money and pocketbook were still on him. Indignation was strong. The deceased had lived here several years.

Lebanon, Oct. 16: Deputy Sheriff Jones reported a terrible fight between two farmers, J.W. Hardy and S.S. Lawson. Hardy’s daughter had been seeing Lawson against her father’s will. Hardy found her with Lawson and demanded that she go with him. Lawson objected and the fight ensured (description of wounds). Both men will probably die.

Mr. Frank Drake died at his home in Republic last Saturday, aged 31, and his remains were interred in Evergreen Cemetery. He leaves a wife and four children.

J.B. McDaniel committed suicide “in a nervy manner” on the Frisco railroad about 3 miles west of here on Tuesday. He was walking on the track until the westbound train was less than 50 yards of him, when he lay down with his neck on one of the tracks and the next instant the train passed over him. McDaniel was 21 years old and a printer. Among his papers was a card which read: “Perhaps ‘tis my lot, just to remembered and then to be forgot. Hope you get there. Your friend, J.B. McDaniel, Cassville, Mo. He had sent a registered letter the day before to Mrs. E.B. Allmon at Rock Comfort, McDonald county. The remains were buried at Hazelwood Cemetery.

October 25

Death Miss Mamie Haines, one of the most popular and amiable young ladies of this city at the home of her brother Harry Jaines. Her remains were taken to Maple Park.

Died yesterday afternoon at the family home on East Walnut St. after an illness of several weeks, Susie Vaughan, d/o of Judge James R. Vaughan, aged 13 years.

Last Sunday Coroner Paxton received a letter from E.B. Allmon of Rocky Comfort about inquiries regarding J.B. McDaniel saying, “he came to my house from Springfield two years ago. His brother was in Springfield clerking in a grocery store and from there went to Kansas City and the 10th of this month was killed by a boiler bursting. J.B. McDaniel left my house and worked in the Republican printing office then to Cassville. He was a poor orphan, and had no friends living that he knew of. He was 20 years old and a good Christian boy.”

Capt. H.C. White died of Bright’s disease at his home in the city yesterday morning. Deceased was a graduate of Annapolis naval academy and a gentleman of fine culture. During the war he served in the Navy. For 22 years he lived largely on the ocean, visiting every point of the compass. For about a year he has been the general agent for Equitable Life Insurance of New York. He carried a $10,000 life insurance policy on himself. Interment will be made in Maple Park Cemetery.

The trial of Jas. H. Faunce, charged with poisoning his step-son last July terminated in criminal court yesterday. The jury could not agree.

November 1, 1889

Lebanon, Mo., Oct. Marshal John O. Estes was shooting dogs here when his pistol accidentally exploded, the ball striking the knee. He was a veritable Hercules, and while badly crippled walked to away to secure medical attention. Today he died, mainly from the wound, but also from an attack of rheumatism of the heart. He was a member of several orders which will take charge of the funeral.

Elder J.Z. Taylor died a few days ago at his home in Kansas City. He was at one time pastor of the Christian church at this place.

November 8, 1889

Last Friday afternoon John M. Gear was stricken down with apoplexy and died about an hour later, being unconscious from the first. Deceased was born in Wilmington, Delaware, August 2, 1824. Subsequently he lived in Monroe co., Illinois, whence he came to this city soon after the war. He was elected justice of the peace in this township in 1886, but resigned the office soon after assuming his duties. He was buried in Maple Park Cemetery under the auspices of the Masonic fraternity.

Mrs. Honora Foley died Wednesday evening at the home of her son, W.E. Foley on East Elm Street, aged 73 years. Deceased was a native of Ireland and left three children.

Mrs. E.R. Raymond died of stomach cancer at her home 680 South street on Tuesday morning. Mrs. Elizabeth R. Raymond was the widow of the late J.P. Raymond, aged 71 years. Deceased was a native of Niagara county, NY and came to this city nearly 25 years ago. She leaves five children, a daughter and 4 sons, all grown. Interment was in Maple Park Cemetery.

November 15

At Fair Play, Polk county, last Tuesday, Miss Rebecca Reeves, the 17-year-old daughter of R.J. Reeves suicided by hanging. Her shocking act is said to have been caused by a love affair.

Billings, Mo., Nov. 13: John Brannon, shot and instantly killed Walter Jones, the 14-year-old son of Summerfield Jones last night. Brannon is an employee in the livery stables of Summerfield Jones. Walter had gone to the stable and began handling a gun there, which was thought to be unloaded. Brannon took the weapon and playfully snapped it at Walter, when it discharged, the bullet entering the boy’s head just over the right eye, causing immediate death. Brannon was exonerated as the coroner’s jury ruled it was an accidental death.

November 22

H.V. Phillips who recently shot and killed himself in Carthage was at one time foreman in the office of the Leader in this city.

Carthage, Mo., November 17: H.V. Phillips, for many years city editor of the Carthage Daily Banner, accidentally shot and killed himself at his home in the city this afternoon. He was cleaning the revolver and was warned by his wife that it might accidentally discharge and hurt someone, whereupon Mr. Phillips went to the kitchen to finish the task. Only a few minutes had passed when Mrs. Phillips and the children heard the report of a pistol and found her husband dead upon the floor with a bullet hole through his heart. Mr. Phillips was very popular in the city where he has resided for the past fifteen years. He leaves a wife and two little girls.

From the Ozarks News: On Wednesday morning of last week, Thomas Bayliff met with an accident that caused his death. He was engaged in recovering the roof of D.M. Cowan’s residence, near Sparta, and while attempting to adjust some of the timbers, one of them broke loose, striking him and throwing him from the top of the house to the ground breaking his right hip. He was brought to Ozark, where everything was done for his comfort. On Thursday it was apparent he had received serious internal injuries and he sank rapidly, expiring that night.

November 29

Saturday night a young man named Benjamin F. Hilland, while under the influence of strong drink, attempted to step from the passenger train on the gulf line at Nichols station, but fell in front of the wheel and was killed outright just as the train was coming to a stop. The unfortunate young man was a native of Iowa and had been living here about five years. He had been working at the nursery at Nichols Junction. He was 26 years old and his mother and step-father reside in this city. His remains were interred in Hazelwood Cemetery.

Mr. John G. Garnett died last Sunday morning, his death resulting from injuries he received when his team ran away with him near the national cemetery on the 11th inst. His remains were taken to St. Louis and interred in the family plot at Bellefontaine Cemetery. Mr. Garnett was born in Richmond, Virginia, 59 years ago. For several years he had been a highly successful businessman of this city. He leaves a wife, but no children.

Resolution of Respect by the Central Point Farmer’s Alliance No. 1001 in Wilson township on 21st inst for Pony Moore who was called to the heaven of rest Nov. 4, 1889.

December 6, 1889

Clarence, the bright little one-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles S. Yates, died Wednesday night of diphtheria at the family home in this city. His remains were laid to rest at Maple Park Cemetery.

Last Saturday morning the body of a well-dressed man was found lying by the railroad track near Gates on the Chandler branch. His throat was cut to the ear and an open pen knife was lying by his side. On his person was found a pawn ticket for $1.75 given the day before, showing the unfortunate man was L.M. Cooper, that he formerly lived in Tuscumbia, Ala. where he was the telegraph operator, and that more recently he was employed as the railroad agent at Sedgwick, Ark. on the Gulf line. He had been discharged because of his love for strong drink; the only natural conclusion is that the fellow became despondent and took his own life. Tuesday, S.J. Cooper,. a prominent citizen of Tuscumbia, Ala. and brother of the deceased, arrived and took the remains back to Tuscumbia.

December 13, 1889

At Norwood, 59 miles east of here on the Gulf line last Wednesday, Dan Woolf attempted to get aboard the caboose of a freight train that was moving, when he accidentally fell underneath the wheels and was killed. Deceased formerly lived here, but at the time of his death was traveling for the clothing firm J.L. Woolf & Bro. of St. Louis, to which his remains were forwarded. Deceased was about 50 years old and leaves a wife and several children.

From the Ava Herald: Last Wednesday evening, the 20th, wile two of Jim Letsinger’s boys and two of Bill Letsinger’s boys were out hunting in the woods near their home on Bryant, Johnnie, son of Bill Letsinger, was shot and instantly killed. From what we can learn, the boys were out squirrel hunting and had one treed at the time. Marion, who had the gun was preparing to shoot it, when Johnnie backed up against the muzzle of the gun. The gun was discharged by the jar and the contents received in the skull, uncapping it and blowing it about 30 yards. The deceased was about 14 years of age.

Wesley Wadlow, one of the pioneers of this county, died at his home near Willard Wednesday morning, aged 92 years. He was a native of Tennessee and settled the homestead where in he died in 1833. He was consistent member o the M.E. church and leaves a wife and seven children and one grandchild. His funeral took place yesterday.

A very sad casualty occurred at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Schweitzer 3 ½ miles southeast of the city last Monday afternoon. Mrs. Schweitzer was washing clothes in the house and the cistern had been left uncovered, the first time perhaps in many weeks. All at once she missed her 4 ½ year old boy, Willie, and hastening to the cistern, she discovered his body in the water. She then let a box down in the cistern and descending herself picked up the lifeless body of her children and handed it out through the opening to her little 6 year-old daughter, Daisy. Mrs. Schweitzer remained in the cistern unable to get herself out for more than an hour until a neighbor Ed Caulkins came and assisted her. The little boy’s remains were interred the following day in Hazelwood Cemetery.

Miss Julia B. Vaughan died of pneumonia last Saturday at the home of a nephew, Judge James R. Vaughan, in this city. She was aged 63 years.

December 20

After an illness of several months, Mr. Z.M. Rountree died December 18, 1889 at his home southwest of the city in his 78th year. His death was due to pneumonia that resulted from a severe cold. His funeral took place and he was interred in the family grave on the homestead where he died and where the remains of his parents and relatives lie. Zenas Marion, familiarly known as “Uncle Buck” to a large number of the citizens of this city, was one of the pioneers of this county. He was born June 9, 1812 in Orange county, North Carolina. At the age of 7, he removed with his father, Joseph, to Maury county, Tennessee, from where the family came to this county in 1831 and settled the homestead where he died. In 1837 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Massey, daughter of Capt. James Massey, the presiding minister being Elder Joel Haden who organized the first Christian church, which was the first in Southwest Missouri.
      Rountree was clerk in the state land dispersal office. The last office he filled was that of justice of the peace of this township. His wife and nine children, 4 daughters and 5 sons, all grown as well as 12 grandchildren, survive him. They are all residents of this city and were present at the funeral.

Wash Adams, colored, a brother of Councilman Alf Adams, died at his home in the city last Saturday morning.

December 27, 1889

Last Friday night a woman was found unconscious near the Frisco railroad track about 3 miles east of the city. She was about 50 years old and died soon after she was found. Investigation showed that she has been visiting relatives near Van Buren, Ark. and was one her way back home to Dixon, Mo. She was a passenger on the east bound train and it is supposed that she accidentally fell off the car or jumped from the train with suicidal intent. Her baggage, brought back from Dixon, showed she was Nancy Moon. The inquest found that she had died in accordance with the foregoing.

Mr. James Burgess died last Tuesday night at his home in Wilson township, aged 45 years. Deceased was a native of Kentucky and has lived here two years. He leaves two children, a daughter and a son.