Springfield Express - 1888

Springfield, Missouri


January 6, 1888

Died of pneumonia at the family home in Wilson township last Sunday, Newton Hampton “Babe”, the youngest son of Mr. J.A. Hampton, aged 19 years. Deceased was a most worthy young man and his early death is deeply mourned. His remains were interred in the family grave yard.

Maj. Josiah Zink, after a long illness, died early last Monday morning at his home five miles west of the city, aged 65 years. Deceased was one of Greene county’s most respected and successful farmers, and leaves a wife and six children, two daughter and four sons, all grown. He was a native of Pennsylvania and removed to this county twenty years ago. His remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery.

Died t the home of her daughter, Mrs. C.P. Wright in this city last Friday forenoon, Mrs. W.E. Lee, aged 74 years. Deceased was a native of England and came here about twenty years ago. She was a highly esteemed lady and leaves three children, all grown. Her remains were laid to rest by the side of her late husband in Maple Park Cemetery.

The remains of Mr. C.M. Bennett, Sr. were removed from Havanna, N.Y. and interred last Friday by the side of his wife in Hazelwood Cemetery. Deceased was the father of our esteemed fellow citizen Lyman G. and C.M. Bennett, Jr.

The case of Newt. Harrell, charged with murdering Amos Ring, four years ago the 7th of last October, is occupying the attention of the circuit court. A large number of witnesses from Taney county are here for the trial. [Later. He received 15 years in the penitentiary.]

Elder J.P. McCorkle, a prominent minister of the Christian church and a brother of Mr. N.A. McCorkle of this county, died at his home in Santa Maria, Cal. Dec. 14th, 1887, aged 62 years 5 months and 29 days. Deceased, in the company with Wm. Campbell of Polk county, went from here to the Pacific coast 34 years ago and successfully preached in California and Oregon from that time until about ten months since when he was stricken with paralysis from which he never recovered.

January 13, 1888

It is with profound sorrow that the express chronicles the death of Dr. John Ray at his home in Cassville on the evening of the second instant. Dr. Ray was one of Barry county’s most prominent and highly respected citizen, for many years the editor of the Cassville Democrat and a tried and trusted leader of his party in that county.

Mr. James Smith, one of the oldest if not the oldest inhabitant of Webster county, died at his residence near Niangua, on Wednesday, Dec. 28, 1887, aged 92 years. Mr. Smith was a native of South Carolina and settled in Webster county in 1853 at the place where he died.

Mr. Chas. Austin, son of Mr. L.B. Austin who lives east of the city a few miles, died last Wednesday, aged 24 years. His funeral will take place today. Deceased leaves a young wife.

The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas A. Layton died on the 1st inst. at the family home in Kirbyville.

Tribute of respect for Major Josiah Zink by the Greene county Horticulture society.

Died at his home on South street in this city, last Saturday morning, James P. Raymond, aged 67 years. The funeral took place under the auspices of the Masonic fraternity and interment was in Maple Park Cemetery. Mr. Raymond came here from Ohio about 20 years ago.

January 20, 1888

E.H. Nichols of Springfield, aged 50 years, manufacturer of brooms, blew his brains out with a revolver at 9 o’clock this morning in the presence of his 18-year-old wife. He remarked to her just before committing the act, “I’m disgusted with life and tired of your lovers.”

Martin Ewing, a negro, supposed to be 127 years old, was buried in Keytesville the other day. Martin was born in Virginia and taken to Clinton county by his master, Col. Ewing, many years ago. If Col. Ewing had lived until now he would have been 114 years old. He always said that Martin was a grown man when he (Ewing) was a small boy.

Sylvester S. Siler, formerly of this city, died of consumption on the 12th inst. at his home in Marionville, age 28. He leaves a wife and one child.

The funeral of Charles Green Austin, who died of spinal meningitis at the home of Job S. Rose, nine miles southwest of the city on the 11th inst. took place Friday and his remains were laid to rest in the family graveyard in the east part of this township. Deceased was a highly esteemed young man, aged only 24 years, and was born and raised in this county, being a son of L.B. Austin. He was married only five weeks before his death to Miss Lulu Hubble, daughter of Mr. L.M. Hubble of Wilson township. His bereaved wife and parents have the sincere sympathy of a large circle of friends and relatives.

Died of paralysis at the family home in this city lat Monday forenoon, Frank Hayes, son of Mr. and Mrs. James Hayes, aged 5 years. The funeral took place last Tuesday.

Mrs. Martha Gibson, wife of the late John M. Gibson, died last Friday at the home of her son-in—law, Mr. John P. Steele in Brookline. Deceased was born in Tennessee June 30th, 1807 and came to his county with her husband in 1854.

Died at the home of his father David Anderson, near Brookline, last Saturday of spinal meningitis, John Anderson, aged 13. Deceased was an unusually bright and industrious youth. He was born in Dundee, Scotland, and came to this county with his parents some five years ago. This is the first death in the family.

Mrs. Jane Phillips died at her home about 8 miles southwest of the city last Saturday. She was the widow of Nathan Phillips who died several years ago.

January 27

There is a grim monument erected in the Atchison (Kan.) public cemetery, placed there by Mrs. Richard Harris, who still resides in the city with her two children, and who seems to have wished to make the peculiar death of her husband a lesson to all young men who might visit the place of burial. The monument is a dull red granite shaft and stands on a slope some 15 feet back from the main road. The image of a snake, about as large as a man’s arm is wound about it from the base of the apex. On the four sides is engrave “Richard Harris, Died Feb 13, 1877, of Delirium Tremens, aged 41 years.”

Last Monday the U.S. Supreme Court rendered a decision in the case of Hugh M. Brooks, alias Walter H. Lennox Maxwell, under sentence to hang for the murder of Charles Arthur Preller in the Southern Hotel at St. Louis in April 1885. The judgment of the lower court was affirmed.

Brookline, Mo., Jan. 25. The fell disease known as cerebro spinal meningitis or “spotted fever” prevails to an alarming extent. Five deaths have occurred in as many days. Johnie, age eight and the babe of Mr. and Mrs. Westenberger were buried in the same grave Saturday and their daughter, Maggie, age 14, died the same day. Mrs. Westenberger and the remaining four children are ill with the same terrible disease.

Miss Laura Gibson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S.F. Gibson, died Sunday morning, aged about 25, and her remains were interred in Cumberland Union cemetery.

The last victim was Miss Lillian McMurray, daughter of Mr. A.J. McMurray, who died Monday, aged 17 years.

Mrs. S.F. Gibson was taken ill yesterday and is reported speechless today.

About noon Wednesday, Mr. R.J. Adams, who lived about 7 miles east of the city, suddenly fell to the ground from his wagon as he drove along South street. He was taken to the Kelley house where he expired in a few minutes. His death is supposed to have been caused by heart trouble. He leaves a wife and four children.

Will of Franz Kentlin published. He committed suicide. Named children Rex and Maud and mentioned estate from German and brother-in-law Nevlin Hayes in Highlandville, Christian Co. He gave specific items to friend and roommate Thomas Douglas and appointed him to see that provisions were carried out.

Died on the 20th inst. at the home of his parent, N.M. and Cornelia Southern, 7 miles south of this city, Robert Southern aged 8 years. His remains were buried in the family graveyard at Mr. A. Hamblen’s.

February 3, 1888

Died at his home in Brookline last Sunday night of abscess of the stomach, Jacob Keller, aged 70 years.

Mr. Joseph Sumner died at Brookline last Sunday, aged about 60 years.

Ed Keet, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. J.T. Keet, died Wed. aged 20 years. The funeral will take place from the family home on St. Louis street today.

Last Saturday evening Arthur Lovings, a mulatto barber, aged 36, who worked in the shop near the post office, while under the influence of liquor, fell backward over the railing along the platform in the rear of Kirby’s saloon. He was picked up and carried into Taylor Smith’s “Black Crook” across the alley and laid on the dirty floor where he died from the effects of his fall and whisky early Sunday morning.

Died at the family home in this city last Monday of inflammation of the bowels, Mr. Wm. T. Jones, aged 68 years. His remains were conveyed on the following day to Clinton county, his state, his former home and laid to rest by the side of his wife who died there in 1880. Deceased was born in Fleming county, Ky., and moved to Missouri in 1843. The following year he was married to Miss Elizabeth Ellen Reed. In 1883, he and his sons moved to Springfield. He was a man of unblemished character, a sound Democrat and raised a large and highly respectable family of children, nine of whom are living. Several of his sons are resident of this city, among the number being Hon. J. Ed Jones, J.R., Geo. and Lee Jones.

February 10

Died at the family home in Brookline on 27th inst., of cerebra spinal meningitis, aged about 65 years. Her remains were interred in the Cumberland cemetery at Brookline. Deceased was a highly esteemed lady and sister of the late Jasper W. McDaniel of this city. She leaves a husband and two daughter, Mrs. W.W. Coover and Mrs. Will Zink.

From the Hartville Republican: On Sat. last Sylvester Durbin of Elk Creek township, aged about 45 years, with his wife, attempted to cross the  Gasconade on the ice; the ice broke and they went into the water. Mr. Durbin drowned. His wife was rescued and resuscitated with great difficulty. The few warm days had no doubt rotted the ice without changing its appearance of stability.

Died at his home near Bois D’Arc on the 26th ult., of pneumonia, Geo. W. Demore, aged 29 years. deceased was a highly esteemed citizen and leaves a loving wife and three children.

Mrs. Margaret Hodnett, wife of Mr. James Hodnett, died Wednesday morning of congestion of the lungs, at the family home on North Campbell street, aged 39 years. Mrs. Hodnett was ill only a few days and her death was a shock to her many friends. Her remains were laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery. Deceased was a most estimable lady, and her bereaved husband and four little children have the sympathy of the entire community.

Nancy Ramey was born in Montgomery county, Virginia November 1, 1796 and departed this life January 26, 1888. When about 14 or 15 years of age, with her parents, Adams by name, she moved to Clark county, Ky. where she united in marriage with John Ramey, March 26, 1818. They removed from there to Caldwell county in 1822 and in 1836 moved to Greene county, where she since resided. On May 17, 1865, she buried her husband and since that time has lived with her children, principally her daughter, Mrs. A.S. Cavin, with whom she was living at the time of her death. For the last 18 years she has been blind. She leaves one daughter and three sons, of which R.L. Ramey of Springfield is the youngest. Her remains were laid to rest in the cemetery at Union Grove, by her husband. She was aged 91 year, 2 months and 25 days.

February 17, 1888

It is with profound sorrow that we announce the death of Hon. S.R. Bridges which occurred after a brief illness with pneumonia at his home on North Jefferson street last Monday evening. Deceased was a native of Kentucky and came to Southwest Missouri when a boy, and has lived here since that time. He was married to Miss Connell, a niece of ex-Sheriff Donnell, in the northeast part of the county and shortly afterward removed to Cassville, where he successfully practiced law until he removed to his city a year ago. In 1882 he was elected to the state senate in which body he served with distinction for four years. His untimely death at the age of 35 will be a shock to his numerous friends throughout the state. His funeral took place from Cumberland Presbyterian church Wednesday forenoon under the auspices of the I.O.O.F and his last resting place is Maple Park Cemetery. His bereaved wife and three children have the sympathy of the entire community.

Died at the family home in this city last Monday of cerebro spinal meningitis, Mr. A. Banks, aged about 55 years. Deceased was most estimable lady and a consistent member of the Methodist church from her childhood. She was a native of Illinois and came here in 1873. She leaves a husband and six sons, among whom are Will A. and James Banks. Her remains were laid to rest in Hazelwood Cemetery.

Died at the home of her mother in this city about 3 o’clock last Tuesday morning, Mrs. Matie Johns, aged 33 years. Deceased was a highly esteemed lady, a sister of Drs. C.F. and Cy Wright and leaves a large circle of friends, who deeply mourn her loss. Her interment was in Maple Park Cemetery.

February 24

Mr. Isaac Julian, a merchant at Halltown, Lawrence county, suddenly fell dead in his store last Monday, aged about 65 years. Deceased was a brother of our esteemed citizen Capt. A.M. Julian.

Willard, Mo., Feb. 22: Mrs. Virginia Gilmore, wife of H.F. Gilmore and daughter of Harrison Steen died this morning after an illness of several months. The deceased leaves a kind and devoted husband a child two years of age.

Wash Middleton, the Bald Knobber, who killed Sam Snapp at Kirbyville, Taney county, and was convicted and sentenced to fifteen years in the penitentiary at the last term of circuit court at Forsyth, but escaped two nights later has been heard from again. He shot and killed Charles Richardson, who with other men had been trying to capture him at his home near Burlington, Boone county, Ark. Richardson was a resident of Boone county engaged in stock raising, and a former neighbor of Middleton.

From Peirce City Empire¸21st: Mrs. Barry, most of W.J. Dent of this city was burned to death this afternoon. she resided opposite King’s livery stable on Commercial street. She was found burned in her yard and is supposed she had been raking and burning leaves and trash when her clothing took fire.

March 2, 1888

In the circuit court at Galena last Friday, Thos. D. Mathes was convicted of manslaughter in the second degree and sentenced to two years in the penitentiary. He killed his brother-in-law John Harris in Stone county on 8 Sept. 1886.

Mrs. Parrish died at the home of her son-in-law, Hon. O.H. Travers, the 23d ult. and was buried last Saturday. Deceased has been a resident of this county and city many years and died on her 71st. birthday anniversary. She leaves three daughters, Miss Ophelia Parrish and the wives of Messrs O.H. Travers and W.M. Kirby and one son, Payton Parrish.

Died at his home in this city last Sunday, after a brief illness with pneumonia, Wm. H. Means, aged about 38 years. Deceased was a son of the late Dr. J.T. Means, and leaves of wife and three little children. His remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery.

George Warren was fatally stabbed on Saturday night near Forsyth, Taney County, by Claude Layton. It was a result of a quarrel at Cherry Grove Church. The young men were paying attention the same girl. Layton disappeared.

March 9, 1888

Died on the 1st inst. at the family home in Brookline of cerebro spinal meningitis, Mary Ellen Potter, daughter of Mr. Nick Potter, aged 20 years.

Died at the family home in this city last Tues. Nora Gideon, daughter of J.J. Gideon and wife, aged 13 years. The funeral took place from the family residence on E. Elm street.

March 16, 1888

Died of consumption at the home of her mother in this city last Sunday, Mrs. Maggie Smith, aged 28 years. Her remains were interred in Hazelwood Cemetery. Deceased was a highly esteemed lady, a consistent member of the Baptist church, and leaves two little boys. Her father was the late M.M. Smith who was shot and killed at Lamar a few years ago.

Mr. Wm. Massey, who has been a citizen of this city and county for the last 40 years, died of pneumonia Wednesday morning and his funeral took place from the residence of Mr. N.M. Rountree.

Marion Kirby of Dadeville, who was found insensible on the street Sunday night with several wounds in his head, died Monday. It was supposed he was assaulted by thieves.

March 23

Andrew Dill, a farmer of St. Clair, committed suicide Thursday by placing a load of shot in his mouth. No cause assigned.

From the Lebanon Rustic: News reached Lebanon Tuesday of the horrible death of John R. Massey, a well-known and prosperous citizen living near Grove Spring just over the line in Wright county. On Tuesday Mr. Massey and his little nine-year-old boy left home to go after a load of hay. With a large load on the return Massey had to walk up a long hill. Reaching the top he lost his hold, fell over the double-tree at the heels of the horses, frightening them. When they took off at break-neck speed, Mr. Massey was thrown against a tree and received injuries from which he died in less than an hour. His brain were dashed out and his body horribly mangled, which is little boy witnessed. He leaves a large family to bear the sorrow of great affliction.

It is with profound sorrow that the express chronicles the death of Mr. M.H. Mack, a citizen of this community for 40 years. He died of pneumonia Saturday in the southwest part of the city, aged 57 years. He was a native of Tennessee and leaves a wife, four daughters and four sons, besides a large circle of other relatives. His remains were interred in Hazelwood Cemetery.

After an affliction with tumors for several years, Mrs. Geo. D. Emery died at the family home in this city Wednesday, aged about 45 years.

April 6

Hon. Isaac Stapleton, a leading prohibitionist of Barry County and ex-member of the Legislature, at Exeter, died Wednesday in his 49th year.

Rolla, Mo., April 2; A most sad and unexpected death occurred here this morning. Mrs. Hattie B. Bland, wife of Judge Charles C. Bland, died in child-bed at her late residence in the eastern part of this city, aged 38 years, 10 months and 3 days, having been born at Piqua, Miami Co. Ohio May 30, 1849. The deceased was married to Mr. Bland May 25, 1871 in Rolla and leaves besides her dear husband and numerous friends, a daughter and six sons, including the infant, a fine boy who is doing well. The remains will be buried in a spot chosen for the family cemetery on the grounds belonging to Judge Bland’s suburban residence.

Died at the family home 4 miles east of the city last Saturday, Mrs. Jane Austin, wife of Mr. L.B. Austin, aged about 42 years. Deceased was  most estimable lady, and besides a devoted husband and four children, leaves a large circle of friends and relatives to mourn her loss.

Mrs. Kelley, wife of the late Nicholas Kelley, died at her home in this city last Sunday and her remains were interred Monday by the side of her husband in the Catholic cemetery 1½ miles west of the city. Deceased was a most estimable lady and will be sadly missed among her many friends.

April 13, 1888

S.G. Applebury committed suicide a few days ago by hanging himself to the limb of a peach tree near Eglinton, Taney county. No cause assigned for his rash act.

Thos Merritt died in Melissa, Texas, a few days since, aged 21 years. Deceased was a grandson of Mr. Washington Merritt of this city.

Mrs. Frances Webb died at her home in this city last Sunday night aged 62 years. Her remains were interred at Ozark Tuesday. Deceased was the mother of Mrs. F.A. Hecker.

The nine-month-old child of Mr. and Mrs. Joel Haden, near Galloway, died last Monday and was buried the following day.

About 4 o’clock P.M. on the 5th inst., J.L. Rogers, a brakeman on the Frisco line in uncoupling cars at Brookline, accidentally fell on the rail and the wheels cut off the right arm and leg, brushed his skull and bruised the right side of his body, killing him instantly. The unfortunate man was about 28 years old and leaves a wife and one child. His remains were taken to Ash Grove for interment last Friday.

April 20, 1888

Died at his home four miles east of the city on the 12inst., John J. Corbin, aged about 45 years. His remains were interred in Hazelwood Cemetery, whence they will probably be removed to the  Confederate cemetery nearby. Deceased leaves two children, a daughter, aged 12 and a son, aged 10 years besides a large circle of friends. Mr. Corbin was a gallant Confederate soldier, enlisting as a private when only 17 years of age and served during the war. He participated in the battle of Wilson Creek and others, receiving numerous wounds and on account of meritorious conduct was promoted to the rank of captain. He was born in Atlanta, Ga.

April 27, 1888

At Licking, Mo., a few days ago, James Smalley, who had become possessed of an insane idea that his family would go to the poor house, thought he was well off, killed his two young children and cut his own throat.

May 11, 1888

Recently Mrs. John Reynolds, living a mile and a half south of Plato, Wright county, met her death in a singular manner. It was supposed she was standing in a chair to look into the loft, and fell. When found by her husband she was lying her face, dead, with her neck broken.

May 18, 1888

It is with profound sorrow we chronicle the death of Mr. Andrew Hanna, which occurred at his home in this city last Sunday morning. Deceased was a prominent stockman and highly esteemed by all who knew him. He leaves a wife and three children, two daughters and a son. His last place is in Maple Park Cemetery.

May 25, 1888

David Steelman of Lamar, a brother of the deputy sheriff, was drowned Friday at West Fork. He was in a fishing boat which capsized.

Carthage, Mo., May 21: About 5 o’clock Saturday night of the family of Pat Denning missed little Charley, aged about three years. After a search his body was found in the cellar under the home, where about two feet of water was standing. He had fallen head foremost unobserved the family.

Willie, the eldest son of Hon. S.R. Bridges, died Monday night at the family home in this city, aged 13 years. The funeral took place Wednesday from the Cumberland Presbyterian church and his remains were laid to rest by his father’s in Maple Park Cemetery. The bereaved mother has the sympathy of the entire community.

June 1, 1888

George Silvey, one of the convicted Bald Knobbers, died Saturday in the Cole County jail, after an attack of pneumonia.

Mrs. Jennie Truesdell disappeared from her home at 1837 North Jefferson street. Her husband, formerly an engineer on the Frisco, but has been ill with consumption and confined to his house. As soon as his wife was missed, neighbors and police began a search. Monday morning her lifeless body was discovered floating face down in the city reservoir. Evidence showed that Mrs. Truesdell’s mind had been affected for several weeks. She was 38 years old and highly esteemed. She had no children. Her neighbors say that her mind became unbalanced under the influence of “Christian Science” teaching. A doctor named James Reed from Kansas City convinced her that she could cure her sick husband, but disappointed and brooding dethroned her reasons and resulted in her untimely death.

June 8, 1888

A dispatch from Houston, Mo, last Friday says that George Brown, living about 4 miles west of that place, shot and killed Charles Pierce, his son-in-law that afternoon. Pierce had seduced Brown’s daughter and had been forced to marry her. He was threatening to leave.

June 15, 1888

On Wednesday of last week, Wm. Arnheart was plowing in a filed ,ten miles southeast of Bolivar when he and his horse were struck by lightning and both killed outright.

From Billings Times: Louis, the 14-year-old son of George Baum, living 3 miles southwest of town, while plowing in the field last Friday was struck by lightning and instantly killed. His younger brother was stunned and knocked senseless, his clothes taking fire. His condition is precarious. Louis was buried Sunday at the German Lutheran cemetery.

A short time ago William Owens, a farmhand in the employ of Wm. Graves, residing near Sarcoxie, suddenly dropped dead. Owens was apparently in good health, and had never complained of an ailment of any kind. At the coroner’s inquest, it was ascertained that Owens had a needed run into his back just below the shoulder blade sometime since, which gradually worked itself inward until pierced the heart, causing his death.

June 22, 1888

Clay Johnston was killed Monday afternoon by a fall from a horse in Nevada. He was kicked in the abdomen.

Joe Coe, a barber at Cedar Gap, was arrested at Mansfield on Saturday for an attempted criminal assault upon a woman. A constable who assisted in the arrest declared his belief that Coe is in really Lane Britton, a desperado who killed A.N. Davis and Gideon Davis in Jas County in June 1883. He denies the statement but will be held upon to warrants for murder.

John Sevier, a cousin of Maj. A.M. Sevier of the Neosho Times was recently shot and killed by Wm. Drew at Webber’s Falls, I.T. There was an old feud between the two men and on the day of the homicide Drew found Sevier in Harris’ store, but before he could defend himself, Drew shot him six times and killed him. Both men were Cherokee citizens.

Lebanon, Mo., June 19: Judge Bland, presided over a special session of the circuit court to try the Anderson murder case—Henry and mother Hannah. It came to an abrupt end this morning by the state dismissing the case as to Mrs. Anderson and asking for a continuance as to Henry. Brother Ed was convicted and is on appeal to the Supreme Court.

George Wiley died at his home 8 miles west of the city Tuesday and was buried the following afternoon. He was about 60 years old and had lived nearly all of his life in this county. His death was caused by a cancer with which he was afflicted for nearly 30 years. His wife and several grown children survive him.

Died at the family home 8 miles southwest of the city last Monday, Mrs. Betsey Rose, wife of Ellis Rose, aged 63 years. Her remains were buried in the family grave yard 3½ miles southwest of town.

June 29, 1888

Lebanon, June 23: Yesterday a stranger got off the east-bound Frisco passenger train and went to the Ozark Hotel at once, stating he was tired and sleepy, having come from the mountains in Colorado. That afternoon he called for mail and purchased 4 ounces of alcohol and 1 ounce of tincture of cinchona. Failure to respond to a breakfast call, the landlord investigated and found his body in bed lifeless. A 4 oz bottle of laudanum was found. At the post office he called for mail for S.B. McLellan, and at the drug store signed the prescription S.M. McLellan, M.D.; also the name was found in a small book in his pocket.

Mr. and Mrs. C.L. Wright of Webb City went to Carthage to attend the Tournament and were guests of B.F. Brown, who resides near the park. They were accompanied by their two-year-old son, Grover. He succeeded in getting hold of some matches and slipped out into the backyard. He ignited them and set his clothes on fire. The family burned the body of the poor little fellow almost to a crisp. He died last night.

July 6, 1888

Flossie, the little daughter of Wm. Patton of Verona, while with her mother recently visiting at the house of Mrs. Daniel McDonald, her aunt 5 miles north of Mt. Vernon, accidentally fell in a well and drowned.

Lebanon, June 29: About dusk last evening, Mr. John Smith, residing at Grove Spring, in Wright county was gored to death by a bull. Mr. Smith, who is about 70 years old, went to the lot to turn the bull out and was attacked. He died his morning.

From Cassville Democrat: Charles W. Harper living near Pioneer, Barry county, went west and was gone some six months, and left his family at home. A few days ago he returned home and it seems everything was not so pleasant and agreeable as it should be. Last Saturday Harper told him family that he would not be alive ten days, and walked out into the yard, pulled out a pistol and hot himself dead and was buried Sunday. Harper was a rather peculiar and erratic man and was thought by some not to be right.

July 13, 1888

Will Merritt was killed at Walnut Grove, being struck with a bottle by Henry Claypool and falling under a horse, which kicked in his skull.

Pink Fagg, who killed Maj. Doran, the noted desperado, at Ft. Smith about a year ago was recently placed in the penitentiary at Little Rock to serve a term of 21 years for the crime. Fagg formerly lived in Springfield, where his brother, Lon Fagg, was killed by Sam Means, the latter being acquitted on trial.

A little child of Mr. and Mrs. D.B. Savage died last Tuesday and was buried in Maple Park Cemetery the next day.

The funeral of Mrs. A.B. Walker took place last Sunday from the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Rev. Father Porta officiating.

Jas. Edwards, a young man living in the southwest part of Brookline township was killed in the abdomen by a mule last Sunday morning. The unfortunate man died from the effect of the injuries Tuesday morning. At the time of his death he was employed on the far of Mr. W.L. Gamble. his mother and several sister and brothers all reside in Wilson township, where they have the sympathy of the entire community.

July 20

From Ava Democrat: Last Saturday at the McGee ranch on Swan, Mrs. Ida Terlinday committed suicide by shooting herself through the head with a 38-caliber Smith & Wesson pistol. Mrs. Terlinday and her husband had been away from home on a visit, and on returning home she went upstairs and deliberately shot herself, dying instantly. No cause is assigned for the rash act. She leaves two children a boy and a girl. Deceased was about 30 years old.

From Marshfield Chronicle: Ed Rowden, son of Lige Rowden, lost his lie last Monday while working in a well at Mr. Gennett’s a few miles west of town. A heavy blast and just been discharged in the well and the young man went down before the well  had cleared of the foul air and he was overcome by the gas.

From the Billings Times: This community was started last Tuesday by the announcement that N.P. Angle, had the night before taken “Rout on Rats” and lay dead at his home in the edge of town. Mr. Angle had been in s state of dementia for some time on account of family troubles and about 6 months ago tried to take his life in the same way. Mrs. Angle, wife of deceased, was arrested this morning as accessory before or after the fact.

The funeral of C.W. Ellenburg, youngest son of Maj. L. Ellenburg, who died a few days ago at Maniton Springs, Col. took place yesterday from St. Paul’s M.E. Church, South.

J.L. Holt attempted to arrest Wash Middleton at a picnic fives miles from Jasper, Newton Co., Ark. and when Middleton resisted, he shot him dead on the spot. Middleton was a Bald Knobber and killed Sam Snapp at Kirbyville, Taney county in May 1886. He was convicted and first sentenced to forty years, but Judge Hubbard reduced it to fifteen. Middleton as about 55 years old and had the reputation of being a hard case. He was a union scout during the war and then lived n Taney County. After his sentence was reduced, the prisoner walked out of jail and it alleged that he was assisted by his son John.

Died at the family home in this city of consumption of the bowels on July 15, 1888, Mrs. Marceldie Smith, wife of Mr. Will Smith Nick Smith, aged 31 years and 4 months. Mrs. Smith realized her death was inevitable, and was calm and resigned. Deceased was a native of Union county, Tennessee, where she was born March 15, 1857 and removed with her parents, Pleasant and Margaret Dyer to this county in April 1860. He father will be remember by our older citizen, died two years later, and her mother still resides on Benton avenue. Mrs. Smith’s remains were laid in Maple Park Cemetery. Mrs. Smith was highly esteemed by all who knew her.

July 27, 1888

At West Plains last Monday, Oberly Gray, an aged farmer living near Moody, was thrown from his wagon and killed, the horses running away. His 10-year-old daughter, who was in the wagon was rescued.

Willow Springs, July 18: Peter Renfrow [also called Renfraw] shot and instantly killed Charlie Davis, constable at Summerville, Texas county, thirty miles from here, yesterday evening. Renfrow made his escape.

Monett, July 21: Today, J.W. Crocker, a switch-man in the Frisco yards, while making a coupling was knocked down and run over. He lived only a few minutes. He leaves a wife, but no children.

Mr. Jas. Hodnett’s little 10-month-old daughter, Nellie, died Tuesday at the family home on North Campbell and her remains were interred in the Catholic cemetery.

August 3, 1888

Died at the family home 2 miles southeast of the city last Friday of peritonitis, Carrie May Bennett, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lyman G. Bennett, aged 19 years. Her remains were laid to rest in Hazelwood Cemetery. Deceased was a most estimable young lady and graduated with high honors from the high school one year ago.

From the Houston Herald: Charley Dorris was killed while trying to put Renfrow under arrest. Dorris was a very quiet young man and was said to the be the best constable the town ever had. Will Renfrow, brother of the shooter, had a lawsuit in the afternoon and became angry at one of the witnesses. The two brothers were walking along not far from McCaskill’s store when John Hughes, the witness came up and Will Renfrow struck him over the head. Pete drew his pistol when Dorris tried to arrest his brother and shot Dorris in the eye. He lived about an hour. The Renfrows were both drunk. Renfrow escaped, but surrendered to Mr. J. McCaskill, Dr. Dunlap and DeWoody on Monday.

Last Friday, Wm. Klein, a German farmer living on the Crenshaw farm 4 miles south of the city, committed suicide by placing the muzzle of a revolver to his right temple and sending a bullet through his brain. Klein was afflicted with consumption which, together with financial troubles, is supposed the cause. Klein came here three years ago and was 26 years old. He left a wife, but no children. He was buried in Maple Park Cemetery.

August 10, 1888

On Tuesday of last week, Lucy Sullivan, know here for a long time as a kind of mendicant, afflicted now and then with hysterical fits, killed herself by taking carbolic acid near Fair Play in Polk county. After extreme suffering she died Wednesday morning. Her clothes were all marked L. Sullivan, City Hospital, St. Louis, but she claimed her name was Sidney Green. She was taken care of by citizens and given a decent burial.

John Truesdell, one of the oldest conductors on the Frisco line, died of consumption Monday at his home in the city and was buried in Maple Park Cemetery. Mr. Truesdell’s wife drowned herself in the city reservoir a few weeks ago while in a state of mental aberration due to the influence of studying Dr. James Reed’s so-called “Christian Science” theories.

Two young negro men, Si Bearden and Newt Edmondson quarreled at a dance, Bearden drawing a pistol and threatening the life of Edmondson. Newt swore out a warrant and Offices F.J. Palmore and Clay Roberts went with him to arrest Bearden. He was in the bed of Mattie Huddleston. Although Palmore took the pistol, Bearden grabbed it from him and struck him on the head. Huddlestone extinguished the light and Bearden fired two shots, both hitting Palmore, making a wound that will probably prove fatal. Roberts fired at Bearden; one hit him in the face, but Bearden escaped. Bearden came her about two years ago with a bad reputation. Some believe he killed a sheriff at Van Burn Ark. three years ago. Office Palmore is in very critical condition. He is a worthy officer and has a wife and several small children.

August 17

Office Palmore, who was a week ago shot by Cy Bearden, died of his wounds later yesterday and will be buried today. He leaves a wife and five children. Bearden, who was shot and arrested last Friday is in jail. [He was convicted of murder in the 2nd degree and sentenced to 99 years on 14 Feb. 1889.]

Capt. Nat N. Kinney, the famous chief of the Taney county Bald Knobbers, was shot and killed by Wm. Miles Jr. in J.S.B. Berry’s store at Forsythe last Monday afternoon. Miles, who is about 23 years old, was employed as clerk in the store until Kinney became receiver and discharged him. Capt. Kinney was a native of Scotland and came to his country when quite young, first living in Virginia, where he enlisted in the Union army during the war, subsequent to which he came west and was an employee of a railroad in Kansas and Colorado. He engaged in saloon keeping in Taney county and then located on a ranch near Kirbyville. He leaves a wife, son and daughter. Long, detailed story.

August 29, 1888

Mr. Harry Hammond, a young architect in the employ of Mr. W.E. Foley, died very suddenly last Sunday afternoon at Mrs. Graber’s boarding house on East Walnut street. He was in usual health until dinner after which he had a chill. In a few minutes, he was dead. He was 23 years old and highly esteemed. His father lives in Frankfort, Indiana, to which the remains were forwarded.

The horribly mangled body of Henry  C. Wilson was found last Saturday on the Gulf train tracks. He came here from Pittsburg, Kan. with George Kirkpatrick and his family of wife and four children. Sunday evening Kirkpatrick was arrested, the theory being that he threw his comrade’s body on the tracks. Kirkpatrick says he is innocent. The public administrator took charge of his team, wagon, watch, saddle and some other property.

Bill Miles, the slayer of Capt. N. N. Kinney was in Ozark today and caused a sensation. He is a small man, weighing only about 30 pounds and is only 22 years old. He was born in Virginia and has lived in Taney county only a few years. The only marked feature is a pair of deep set, vigilant eyes.

September 14, 1888

James P. Thompson of Springfield met with a curious and perhaps fatal accident. While rising from a keg of nails on which he had been sitting the blade of a sickle entered his back, penetrating his kidneys.

Wednesday, Mamie, the little 10-year-old daughter of Albert Harmon, a boiler maker at the Gulf shops who lives on West Mill street, was sent by her mother on an errant to neighbor Mrs. Hessinger. The little one climbed the yard fence and fell into the cistern left open on the opposite side. Her body was found an hour or two later.

Miss Lizzie Kelley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Kelly, after a 2 week illness died Tuesday at the family home on South street, aged 18 years. Her interment was in Maple Park Cemetery.

September 21, 1888

Joseph Evans, one of the oldest and most highly esteemed citizens of the county, died of heart disease Wednesday in Robberson township and was buried yesterday. Deceased was 85 years old and leaves several children all grown. Among them are Mrs. E.E. McDaniel and Mrs. Dr. Geo. M. Cox of this city and Messrs. D.M. and Alex Evans, prominent farmers of Robberson township.

Lewis Davis was taken from jail where he was awaiting for trial on a charge of murdering his neighbor and friend, David Miller on 2nd January last. He was hanged a half mile north of Steeleville on the Cuba road, immediately over the grave of Pat Wallace, who was hanged by a mob October 4, 1886 for the murder of the Logan family. The jury had been selected and there is no doubt Davis would have been convicted of first degree murder. No doubt the mob was enraged by the acquittal of Elbert Clounts, who was tried here last week for the murder of his father three years ago.

September 28

Died at his home 3½ miles west of the city last Tuesday, Junius M. Rountree, aged 79 years. Deceased was one of the oldest and most highly esteemed citizens of this county and leaves a large circle of relatives and friends, including his wife and several children. His remains were laid to rest in the grave yard at Pleasant Springs, Wilson township last Wednesday.

October 5

From Walnut Grove Bulletin: The first of last week a little child of Smith Lemmon living near Morrisville, was burned so badly that it died on Wednesday after a week of terribly agony. The little one was left with an older brother and sister while the mother went to the orchard and by some means, its clothes caught fire.

Little Ella, the 6-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.N. Clark, died at the family home a few miles northeast of the city on the 27th ult.

Mr. Marsh Echelberry, son of Dr. Echelberry of this city, died of congestion of the stomach at Williamsville, Mo., Saturday night and his remains were brought here and interred in Maple Park Cemetery Monday. Deceased was 39 years old and formerly engaged in business here.

Died of diabetes at his home in the city last Monday, John F. Atzert, aged 38 years. Deceased leaves a wife and four children. His remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery, the funeral being under the auspices of the United Workmen and Knights of Honor.

October 12, 1888

The wife of Mr. J.H. buffalo, who lives in Ruth Township, Stone Co. met with a terrible and probably fatal accident Oct. 3. A man named Gordon had packages of blasting powder which was with the Buffalos and had been forgotten. Mrs. B. started a fire in the stove. She left the room for a moment and returned. The powder exploded, and the stove was blown to atoms. She was thrown with violence against the side of the room, her clothes took fire and she was horribly burned. The chances of recovery are slight.

October 26, 1888

David Smith, one of Cooper County’s oldest pioneers died at his home four miles southeast of Boonville Thursday morning. Mr. Smith was born in Boonsboro, Madison County, Kentucky, in January 1805. He came to Missouri n the “thirties” living first in Boone, then in Howard, and for the last half century in Cooper. He married Mss Sophie McMichael of Boone, who at an advanced age, with ten children, survives his death.

November 2

Geo. S. Rathbun, Jr. one of the most popular young attorneys in the city, died at his home early Tuesday morning, aged 27 years. His remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery. Deceased leaves a wife and one child.

November 9

Died at his home in Brookline last Tuesday, Mr. S.F. Gibson, aged about 73 years. Deceased was one of the most highly esteemed citizens of this county and leaves numerous relatives and friends. His remains were interred with Masonic honors at the grave yard near Brookline.

From the Pineville News: A sad accident occurred north of town yesterday in which Willie Testerman, a son of Marshall Testerman lost his life. Young Testerman, aged about 17 years, brought a load of lumber to town for the erection of the Baptist church. He was traveling up  Dog Hollow just above where H.C. Prater lives on the Chenoweth farm, when the team became frightened and ran away throwing young Testerman from the wagon and possibly passing over his body, badly bruising him and rupturing a blood vessel at the base of the brain.

November 16

W.H. Kindrick died of pneumonia at his home 8 miles west of the city last Monday, aged about 35 years. Deceased leaves a wife and four children.

November 23

From Galena Oracle: A young man, Joe Brown, who lived with Mr. Ewing on the James River below Redding in this county drowned in the river last Sunday. H was crossing in a small boat with Mr. Ewing and another man when the boat ran on to a snag and capsized. The others had to swim for the lives and Brown could not swim. The body had not been found.

Mrs. Irene Bagby, wife of the foreman of the Herald press room, died Friday. The funeral took place form the residence, 622 North Main street, and the remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery.

While coupling cars at Yokum, Texas, last Saturday John Lydon, Jr., a brakeman was killed. His uncle, Conductor John Lydon of this city, went after the remains, and the funeral took place on the north side Wednesday afternoon.

November 30, 1888

William Pruitt, an old citizen of Taney county, who lived on Bull Creek for nearly 30 years, returned home yesterday, finding his two daughter, Maggie and Ellen, aged 11 and 12 years respectively, lying on the floor, unconscious and shockingly mutilated on the head and face. A bloody hatchet was lying on the floor nearby. The mother of the girls, Mrs. American Pruitt, who had been at home earlier, could not be found. She was tracked a quarter of a mile and found in the woods with her throat cut from ear to ear, the lifeless hand still grasping the razor that did the fatal work. No cause for the unnatural horror, except the sudden frenzy of the mother can be suggested. When Mrs. Pruitt was left at home with the girls all seemed well and she was rational. Maggie is dead and Ellen is considered hopeless. [She died on the following Friday.]

December 7, 1888

Last Saturday night, Mr. William Cornelison, a young man 24 years of age, who lived with his father on the Brown farm six miles east of the city was driving a wagon on Phelps avenue when the Bolivar train approached. His team became frightened and dashed in front of the locomotive. Cornelision was struck in the head and rendered unconscious. He lingered until Monday 2when he died. He leaves a wife and two children.

Mrs. Martha J. Orr, wife of Mr. Elias Orr, departed this life December 1. She was the mother of 7 children, 6 girls and 1 boy, who with her husband mourn her departure. The funeral was at the C.P. Church in Brookline.

December 14

Mr. G.W. Huff, formerly a citizen of this county, died at his home in Ponce de Leon, Mo. on the 30th ult., aged 51 years. His remains were interred on the 3d inst., in the old graveyard in Franklin Township. He left a wife, but no children. He was a brother-in-law of Mr. M.O. Bedell.

Mr. Martin S. Alsup, a prominent man of West Plains, Mo. who died at his in this city on the 3rd inst., was also a brother-in-law of Mr. Bedell. He was born in Greene County Sept. 13th, 183– [smeared ink] and on the 11 of February 1858, was married to Miss Sarah L. Bedell. They moved to Howell County in 1867.

Mrs. O.P. Gray died at the family home on Locust street last Saturday and her remains interred at Hazelwood Cemetery.

Isaac Dyer died at his home in Franklin township last Monday, his death being due to injuries received by being knocked from the railroad track by a Frisco train last August.

December 21

John W. Robertson, a farmer living 12 miles south of Lebanon, accidentally killed himself not long since by the discharge of his gun. He leaves a wife and four small children.

From the Ava Democrat: Little Everett Ellison, the two-year-old son of James Ellison, was drowned in Beaver creek Wednesday, Dec. 5th. Mr. Ellison went to the field to cut some wood early in the morning and it was supposed the little fellow followed him. The children soon discovered that Everett was missing and found his lifeless body in the creek.

From the Mt. Grove Prospect: Wednesday morning Wm. A. Franklin of Wood Township, shot his cousin Thomas Franklin,. Dr. Spytes extracted the bullet, and considered the young man has a fighting chance for life.