Springfield Express - 1887

Springfield, Missouri

January 7, 1887

From Forsyth News: Mr. John Steeley, who lived about 3 miles south of here, choked while eating his breakfast Friday morning and died in a few minutes. Mr. Steeley had been subjected to smothering spells and it is though that one of these spells came on him while eating. Mr. Steeley was seventy some years old at his death and is one of the oldest settlers in the county.

January 14

Eugene Clark died last Sunday at the home of his father, Mr. R.A. Clark, in this city, aged 24 years.

J.C. Relyea, the fireman on the Gulf line who was recently injured in a wreck near Willow Springs, died last Tuesday, aged 50 years. He leaves a wife and five children. His remains were forwarded to his former home in Fulton, Illinois for interment.

January 21

From the Forsyth News: It is with regret we announce the death of W.H. Pollard, which occurred this morning. He had long been a sufferer and is at last released from the pains and cares of this life. He was an attorney of acknowledged ability, having held the office of prosecuting attorney of Christian county. He has been a resident of this county for two years and had won an enviable reputation as a lawyer and gentleman. He was a member of the GAR post as well as an Odd Fellow. He was a gallant solider and served with distinction in the 13th Indiana Regiment, as his record and crutches will prove.

Peirce City Democrat, 17th: The many friends of Conductor Tim Guinney, who has faithfully served the Frisco road for several years past, were pained to learn of his death, which occurred at Oswego, Kas., about 3 o’clock this morning. He was engaged in coupling the engine of his train to an ore car, and while lifting up the heavy draw bar the engine, which was attached to a number of other cars, came back with such force that he failed to make the coupling and the engine ran into the car, throwing it upon the cow catcher, and catching him between the engine and car, about the waist, badly mashing him, causing internal injuries from which he died. His remains were brought to this city and turned over to his family. Mr. Guinney leaves a wife, three small children, three brothers and loving mother.

Lamar, Missouri January 18: George Jeffries, aged 60, and a resident of Barton county before the war committed suicide at his home near Milford 12 miles northeast of here about 5 o’clock this morning. Deceased rose about 5 and went to the barn to do his feeding, while his wife prepared breakfast. After waiting an unusual time she became alarmed and found him suspended from a beam above the granary door. Financial trouble is supposed to have the cause of the rash act.

Mrs. Betty Turner and Isaac Miller were recently arrested in Douglas county on the charge of infanticide.

January 28

Died of pneumonia, at the home of her son-in-law, N.W. Farris, on North Jefferson street, this morning, Mrs. Nancy A. Rose, aged 57 years, 2 months and 17 days. The funeral will take place tomorrow and interment in the Cumberland Union Cemetery near Brookline.

Died at the family home on West Walnut street last Tuesday, after an illness of 56 days, David Burnee Noe, only son of Mr. and Mrs. D.M. Noe, aged 4 years. The remains were laid to rest in Maple Park Cemetery.

February 4, 1887

Died of pneumonia at the home of Mr. Will P. Stewart at 7:30 last Monday morning, J.L. Alexander, aged 32 years. Deceased was a most exemplary young man and had the highest confidence and esteem of all who knew him. He was a native of Lowell, North Carolina, where his widowed mother lives, his father having lost his life at the battle of Gettysburg. His funeral took place from Westminster church and his remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery.

From Ava Record; On last Friday afternoon the little seven year old son of J.M. Lyons was kicked by a horse and killed. The little boy had received permission to go home with his grandma who was at Lyons. They started, the boy riding a young, and as it seems, a rather fractious horse. They had not gone far when the woman, noticing the actions of the animal, proposed that she walk ahead. Soon after this the horse gave a sudden plunge throwing the boy off and kicking him as he fell.

February 11

D.V. Harrison died at Springfield Saturday. He was an old and prominent man.

From Ash Grove Commonwealth: An attempt at suicide was made Monday night by Mrs. Allie Brown (also known as Williams) while at the boarding house of S.M. Campbell. The cause assigned was on account of not being notified of the death of her daughter, which occurred at or near Walnut Grove last Saturday morning. Her daughter had been married about 4 months. She took chloroform and ether while making a noise in the room she occupied upstairs was heard by Andy Smith. He went up to the room and discovered she had saturated a handkerchief with the drugs and applied them to her face. She was discovered in time to be saved from any great injury.

Mrs. T.J. Wallace died at Republic Wednesday.

Robt. W. Haswell, aged 1 years and 7 months, son of Hon. A.M. Haswell, died at the family home on Benton ave. last Sunday afternoon and funeral took place Monday afternoon.

February 18, 1887

John Pruitt, a convict in the penitentiary from Lawrence county, died Monday night of consumption. He was a school teacher by profession and was convicted about a year ago of forging a school warrant for $30 and sent up for ten years.

February 25, 1887

In the circuit court of Neosho last week, Wm. Smith, colored, who killed Levi Tinnon, also colored, was sent to the penitentiary for two years. Had he stolen a horse what would have been the verdict?

The lifeless body of Wm. Hall was recently found in a branch ten miles east of Cassville. A dispatch states that young Hall and his mother had a quarrel, which ended by him leaving saying he was going to Arkansas. Nothing was thought of his absence until as his mother and step-father, David Eady, were returning home from church by a little used path, they discovered first the hat and then the body of young Hall lying on its face in the water. Whether he fell from an overhanging tree, which he had climbed after a squirrel, or committed suicide, remains undetermined.

From the Wheatland Democrat: One of the most distressing and hear-rending accidents befell a little 17-month-old child of Mr. and Mrs. Buck Russell, who reside in Speedwell township, St. Clair County, Missouri, on Friday of week before last. The little one walked into a 10 inch bored well, and before the mother could recover her presence of mind sufficient to jump and catch the little one, it began slipping down and continued to descend until it reached the bottom a distance of 47 feet beneath the surface. All efforts to fish the child out proved futile and for 48 hours the poor little child could be heard crying “mamma, mamma,” when death hushed its cries forever. Up until last Friday the remains had not been recovered.

Died at the family residence on Webster street last Tuesday, Mr. C. Carr, aged 56 years. The funeral took place yesterday from the Church of the Sacred Heart.

Last Saturday night Jesse L. Williams, aged 30, who boarded at the Central Hotel, took a dose of nux vomica and 40 grains of quinine that he bought at the drug store and in less than an hour was a corpse. It is said that he suicided on account of a love affair between himself and a young and dashing grass widow at Carthage. Deceased was a native of Ohio, where his parents still live. He came here from Carthage first of last month, since when he was employed at the Woolen Mills. His brother-in-law, J.C. Hodson, is bookkeeper f the Carthage bank. Remains of the deceased were shipped back to his former home in Ohio for interment.

From the Neosho Miner: A.T. Edgington of Granby on Saturday last, while being let down in a 50-foot shaft on the hill opposite the old bakery. When half way down the rope broke and he fell a distance of 25 feet, sustaining injuries from he died on Wednesday last. The shock of the fall probably would have not been fatal except the deceased was an old soldier and his fall shattered his old wound. He was member of the A.O.U.W. and his life was insured for $3,000 for the benefit of his wife and children. He belonged to the Neosho lodge and brotherhood.

March 4, 1887

An old man named Eads was brutally murdered with a club at his home near Thomasville, Oregon county, this state, one night recently. His head was beaten into a jelly. His nephew, Geo. Eads, was arrested and jailed charged with the crime.

March 11, 1887

Died last Saturday, Mary Hattie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. Sander, aged 2 years, 8 months.

Died at the home of his brother, James Abbot, in this city, after an illness of about two years, Joel Abbott, aged 54 years. The funeral took place Sunday afternoon and his remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery. Deceased came to this place with Gen. Lyon’s army in 1861 and lived here from the close of the war until his death.

March 18, 1887

Long story from Ozark, Mo., about the murder of Charlie Green and Wm. Edens near Sparta. Warrants were sworn out for 22 men. Five of them were under guard: Sam Preston Sr., Sam Preston Jr. Wm. Roberts, Bud Ray and James Preston. Joe Inman turned state’s evidence was held in Springfield jail for his safety. Others arrested were John and Wiley Matthews, Dave Walker “Bull Creek Dave” and C.O. Simmons. On March 17, more were arrested including J.W. Robison, Lew and Pete Davis, Andrew Adam, Gil Applegate, Jim McGuide, etc. Many newspaper articles follow this one. [Various articles and books have been written on the subject of the Bald Knobbers and are readily available.]

Died near Bois D’Arc, last Sunday, Mrs. Eliza McGinnis, aged 63 years. Deceased was a niece of Dr. McAnnally, editor of the St. Christian Advocate. She leaves six children.

The second trial of Mark Harner, for shooting to death David Boswell on the 18th of July 1885, was ended at Mt. Vernon last Saturday, the jury finding him guilty of manslaughter in the fourth degree and assessing his fine at $600. There was much excitement in the court room with Harner jumping at least three feet high and yelling with all his might. Harner’s young wife fairly threw her baby into the first pair of arms offered and sprung upon the jurors, hugging every one of them. He had been in jail since July 1885 in spite of the efforts of his friends to secure his release on bail. He immediately paid the fine and went home with his wife.

Billy Dongan of Leadville, shot and wounded an elk upon Grand river and followed it. At dusk he tracked it to a clump of timber, and thought he saw a mountain lion crouched over the elk’s body. So he fired and killed Dave Heinman, a well-known hunter, who had come upon the elk, killed, and was in the act of skinning the carcass.

March 25, 1887

Sheriff J.Z. Johnson of Christian county took James S. Payton to Jefferson City to serve out his life sentence for the murder of Bud Matthew’s 2-year-old boy. Payton appeared very much affected when he told the other prisoners at the jail goodbye and when he shook hands with Sheriff Dodson his emotions overcame his speech.

April 1, 1887

The dead body of an infant was found last Saturday wrapped up in a piece of cloth and buried about three inches under the ground in a pasture just southeast of the city limits. Parents are unknown.

St. Louis, March 30: Hon. Thomas C. Reynolds committed suicide at the custom house this afternoon by plunging down the elevator shaft from the third floor. In his pocket was a letter to his wife stating that two years ago he contracted malaria at Aspinwall and had failed to recover, the disease settling in his spine. Recently he had been troubled by insomnia and frequently nervousness. Fearing that he would become a burden to his wife by becoming a lunatic he put his affirmed in order and determined to end his life.                    Thomas C Reynolds was born in Charlestown, S.C. in 1821. He studied at the university of Virginia and continued his education in Germany, graduating at Heidelberg in 1842. [Long biography.] He was elected Lt. Gov. on the ticket with Claiborn Jackson and sided with the confederacy. After the war he went to Mexico and returned to St. Louis in 1868. In 1858 he fought a duel with B. Gratz Brown and shot him in the knee. Gov. Reynolds was married twice years ago and leaves his second wife, whom he married three years ago all his property.

April 8, 1887

Died at his home in Cass township April 1, James Boston, aged 80 years. Deceased has been a citizen of this county for 31 years and leaves a wife and large family of children, all grown.

John Mack, a saw mill engineer, was fun over and killed by a Gulf train at Black Rock, Ark., Monday evening. He had been drinking and lay down on the track to sleep.

Wednesday night as the east bound Frisco train entered the depot at the north side, a man, who got on board at Fayetteville with a ticket for St. Louis was found dead n hi berth in the sleep. It is supposed that his name was J.R. Newcomb, and the evidence showed he was a consumptive and died from natural causes.

From the Bolivar Free Press: The six-year-old child of C.C. Greer, near Goodson, was terribly burned last Tuesday morning and died from its injuries the same evening. The mother was out milking at the time, leaving the little one alone in the house. In a short time the mother was horrified at seeing her darling running towards her wrapped in a sheet of flames. She wrapped her in her dress, but not until the fire had done its dreadful work. The little on lingered in great agony until evening.

A dispatch from Bolivar states that John Roland, a farmer in the east part of Polk County was called out of bed last Sunday night and when he opened the door and stepped out some unknown person struck him on the head with a blunt instrument, killing him instantly. The coroner held an inquest over Roland’s body and the verdict was that he died of apoplexy.

Horrison Lorsythe died at his home in Pierce City Saturday last.

April 15, 1887

From the Democrat, [Peirce City] 9th: About 2 o’clock this morning watchman Lute Howel was attracted to the eastern part of the city by the report of a gun. At or near the old cemetery he met Fred Goss and Will Sheets, two employees of the Frisco Railroad company. When Howel informed them thy would have to accompany him to the city prison, they refused and a fatal short was fired by Howel, sending the soul of Fred Goss to meet a merciful Creator. The sad affair has cast a gloom over the city and none speak of it but with deep regret. Lute Howel has been on the police force several months and has made quite a reputation for efficiency. The man was a stranger to us, but we are told was a man of noble impulses. He was an engineer on the Kansas branch of the Frisco railroad. He was a single man. His parent, who live in Franklyn, Mass., were duly notified of the tragic ending of their son.

The funeral of Jos. P. Adams, brother-in-law of Mr. H.R. Gehrs, who died Tuesday evening, too place from the Church of the Sacred Heart yesterday and his remains were laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery.

Col. Chas. E. Moss of this city died at Eureka Springs last Saturday and his remains were taken to Cape Girardeau and interred Monday. Deceased was a native of Vermont and served in the Mexican war, and was also a Lt. Col. in the last civil war on the Union side. He published the Missourian at this place in 1863 and in 1885 in connection with B.R. Brewer, Esq. was engaged for a short time in the publication of the prohibition paper here known as the National Standard.

April 22, 1887

Long article about execution of Ed F. Clum of Walworth, New York. He had killed J.J. White and Ella Bowe. White was also from Fairport, N.Y. and had eloped with Clum’s wife in 1885. She had died and was buried at Peirce City. Clum had pursued Ella Bowe, but she had rejected him in favor of White. The double murder was committed July 1886.

Died of pneumonia at the family home in this city, April 20th, Walter Young, the bright little son of Mr. and Mrs. W.Y. Smith, aged one year. The remains were interred at Wesley Chapel, near Willard yesterday.

April 29, 1887

Last Saturday night a freight train on the Frisco road was partially derailed two and a half miles east of Marshfield. Four cars were smashed into kindling and sixteen other thrown partly off the track. A man, Thos. C. Burks, of Richland, was killed outright and several head of stock were also killed.

From the Mt. Vernon Herald: The cause of Lute Howell charged with killing Fred Goss at Peirce City was continued. Also last Thursday, Gore Davis was found ear the school house in the agonies of death resulting from a large dose of “Rough on Rats” which he took with suicidal intent. When found he was conscious but died in a short time. He came here last fall from Rogers, Ark. He was slave to drink, had no business or occupation but it said to have once been in good circumstances. A letter was found where he said he was tired of life and further existence was unbearable.

May 6, 1887

Linn Creek, Mo. April 28. About 11 this morning William Johnson, a son of Calahill Johnson, one of Camden county’s oldest and wealthiest citizens, met with a terrible accident which resulted in instant death. Mr. Johnson and three other men were cutting and hauling saw-logs. They had cut down a large tree, sawed it up and loaded one of the logs on the wagon when a large limb fell from another tree, striking Mr. Johnson, crushing the skull. Mr. Johnson was a promising young man, sober and intelligent with good moral habits and was liked by all who knew him. He was 23 years of age and leaves a young wife who is prostrated over the sad affair.

Mr. E.A. Jarrett, father of Mrs. J. W. Johnson and Mrs. H.M. Heckart, died at his home in Marionville last Wednesday.

Died at the home of his brother, Judge W.D. Hubbard, in this city early last Friday morning, John H. Hubbard, aged 36 years. The remains were interred in Hazelwood Cemetery. Deceased leaves a wife and one little one.

May 13, 1887

From Seligman Sunbeam: A.J. Dye shot and killed John Morris over a cow trade, six miles west of Seligman, on Sugar creek, on 3rd inst. at the residence of Dye. They argued and Dye pulled a pistol and fired hitting Morris about the umbilicus and he died within fifteen minutes. Dye gave himself up and is under arrest.

Publication of typical Bald Knobber: Gill Applegate. He is the man who killed young  Fulbright during the late war under circumstances that were particularly distressing. Mr. Fulbright, who was in the Southern army, had come into the neighborhood of his old home to see friends. Being captured near here by a party of militia, he asked Mr. James Hollingsworth and Mr. Robert B. Porter to carry him to the regular forces of the U.S. Army so he would be treated as a prisoner. They were conducting him to the Union camp, when the crack of a musket and the sinking of their prisoner told them that the assassin had followed them. turning they saw immediately behind them Gill Applegate, who belonged to no military organization, fire a second time, this time killing his victim with a bullet through the head. Regard for their own safety caused them to leave him there, and simply inform his relatives, who afterwards came and buried the body.

The funeral of Mrs.  E.J. Bourquonot took place Wednesday from the family resident on Dollision street.

It is with deep regret that the express chronicles the death of Mrs. Flora Harrison, wife of Mr. G.G. Harrison, which took placed at the family home on Leeper prairie at 6:00 p.m. last Sunday, May 8th. Her remains were laid to rest n the cemetery at John’s chapel. Deceased was born in Monroe county, Illinois, Nov 11, 1837 and was married to G.G. Harrison of the same county in September 1853. They family moved to this county shortly after the close of the war and have resided here since. Mrs. Harrison was a lady of noble qualities and was held in the highest esteem by all who knew her. Her bereaved husband and only son, Curtis M., have the sympathy of a large circle of friends.

Butler, Mo: Times 4th inst. April 28th 1887, S.B. Newbill, one of our best known citizens, after a long and protracted spell of sickness with a complication of diseases, lade down the cares, trials, and troubles of this life and passed away. Mr. Newbill was about 37 years of age and man of energy and usefulness and it is to be greatly regretted that his life was so prematurely cut short. He was an official member of the Christian church. Eider O. Spencer, the preacher, baptized him, married him and preached his funeral.

May 20

In Wright county one day last week a colored man named Thomas Whitley, who was suspected of improper relations with his daughter, on pretence of going out to hunt squirrels left the house with a gun. Shortly after two shots were heard, and when a search was made it was found he had shot his daughter and himself. Both were dead.

Resolution of respect for Col. Charles E. Moss by the G.A.R.

Uncle Jesse Foster, who has lived at the head of the James river in Webster County since 1836, died last Saturday, aged 75 years. His native state was Tennessee.

While returning from Cassville last Sunday evening, Mr. W.G. Hobbs noticed two young men on horseback near the depot just as the train pulled out of Purdy. One of the horses became frightened, threw his rider and ran, the rider’s foot hanging in the stirrup and his head striking the ground and rocks until both were out of sight. In all probability the young man’s remains when found were lifeless and mutilated beyond recognition.

Uncle John Breedlove died at his home ten miles southeast of the city last Saturday morning, aged 73 years. Deceased was a stanch Democrat and one of the oldest citizens of this county, having come here from his native state of North  Carolina in 1839. He leaves a wife and six children, all grown and married.

May 27, 1887

Charlie Huffman, a brakeman on the Gulf line, got one foot fastened in a switch frog at Burnham last Sunday and was fun over by the cars and horribly mutilated, both legs being cut off. He died shortly afterward and his remains were buried at West Plains.

Dr. Z. Van Hoose, one of the oldest and most highly esteemed physicians of this city, after a protracted illness, died at his home on West Walnut street at 2 o’clock last Monday morning, May 23rd, aged 64 years. He was born in Floyd county, Ky. and when but a child removed with his parents to Washington Co., Ark., where his brothers J.H. and G.W. Van Hoose still reside. After graduating at the Louisville medical college, Dr. Van Hoose came to this city in 1859 and since that time has resided here continuously and practiced his profession. In 1882 he was elected coroner of this county on the Democratic ticket and re-elected in 1884. He was prominent member and one of the trustees of St. Paul’s M.E. Church, South. His wife is a sister of Dr. B.A. Barrett, and they were married in 1868. Four children were born to them, one of whom is dead. The remains were followed by a procession of people to Maple Park Cemetery.

June 3, 1887

Frank Durbin was drowned recently while fishing in Sugar creek, McDonald county.

Mr. Sidney Anderson, father of Councilman L.K. Anderson of this city, died at his home in Morrisville on Wednesday of last week. Deceased was a native of Tennessee and aged about 80 years. His funeral took place under the auspices of the Masonic fraternity of which he was an honored member.

June 10

Bob Meadows was shot and killed in Taney county last Monday afternoon while he and his wife were on their way to visit a sick neighbor. His wife testified at the coroner’s inquest that Bud Matthews, a Bald Knobber, committed the crime.

A dispatch states that John Applegate, a married school teacher, was arrested and lodged in jail at Cassville on the charge of committing a rape on Mrs. Ryder. Applegate is said to be 22 years old and a son of Gilbert Applegate, one of the Bald Knobber prisoners in jail here under indictment for murder in the first degree of the atrocious murder of Charles Green and Wm. Edens in Christian county on 11th of last March.

Word was received at Nevada of a sad accident at the home of Mr. Cordovia, living in the northern part of the county. a 14-year-old son of Mr. Cordovia was in the yard with a 22 target gun which it accidentally discharged, the ball going through an open window and killing his 6-year-old brother.

June 17, 1887

W.A. Milstead, a young man of 24 years, was fatally injured on Friday last. He was engaged with Mr. Leonard getting up a bunch of cattle for shipment for his brother B.F. Milstead on Cowskin prairie 25 miles southwest of Neosho. He was in swift pursuit cutting out a steer when at the height of his horse’s speed the steer attempted to turn and both animals collided with such force that young Milstead, although a fine horseman, was sent spinning high over the horse’s head and striking the ground on the left side of his face with a fearful force and inflicting a terrible blow, from which concussion he was left insensible and expired at his brother’s house on Sunday. Deceased came on from his home Humphreys, Sullivan co. Missouri in January last and was living with his brother. The funeral was attended from the Southern Methodist church on Monday and the body was laid to rest in our cemetery.

Long story about the wife of Wm. H. Clarkson being killed by Jim Phillips. It took place Monday at the home of Clarkson on North Main Street. Jim Phillips shot Mrs. Clarkson through the heart, killing her instantly. Miss Josie Landers, a young woman employed by the Clarkson family, was the only one at the house besides Mrs. Clarkson, her little 4-year-old boy Harry and Phillips. Landers said he had been a visitor at the house many times before “They appeared to be talking friendly and about 12 o’clock Mrs. Clarkson told Phillips to go. She got a pistol—it seemed to me in fun—and told him to go. She stepped into the wood house. He followed her and the door was shut…. I heard a pistol fired and I opened the door. Mrs. Clarkson was falling and in three minutes she was dead.         Phillips had the pistol and could not be found.” Little Harry Clarkson said he saw Phillips leave and go west across the street.         Mrs. Clarkson was 28 years old and the second wife of Mr. Clarkson, who is an old citizen here, aged 55, and well known as a worthy hard-working miller. They were married eight years ago in Christian county and one child was born to them. At times since her marriage she has acted in such a way as to cause considerable gossip, once attempting to run away with a Carthage sewing machine agent, whose wife appeared just as they were to board the train and prevented it. She became acquainted with Phillips nearly three years ago. They were friendly until last February they fell out and since she has requested him to stay away.                    Miss Allie Hilton, sister of the deceased, was at the funeral and talked to the express reporter saying that Phillips told her he would kill her sister sooner or later. The funeral took place from the family. The aged parents came from their home in Christian county and were bitterly weeping on one side of the coffin while the grief-stricken husband with his motherless little boy on his lap were on the opposite side.
           Jim Phillips is a dissolute fellow, about 28 years old, heavy set and a hard case generally. He served 2 terms in the penitentiary for robbery, one for forging an order for whisky and a jail sentence here for assaulting a young woman at the home of Mrs. Clarkson. His mother lives east of Fair Grove in this county and a bother died or will killed while a soldier in the Union army. Since Phillips’ prison experience he has loafed most of the time about North Springfield.
           He was arrested late last night and brought here early this morning.

Yesterday evening, Fred Jeffries, aged 15 and George Ray about the same age, engaged in a quarrel near the Frisco shops, when the latter struck the former on the left temple, fracturing the bone and rendering him senseless. The injury may prove fatal. Ray was arrested and put in jail.

June 17, 1887

Last Tuesday night the west bound passenger train on the Gulf line when about 10 miles east of this city ran over John McCormick, horribly mangling his body and scattering it along the track a distance of 183 feet. McCormick kept a country store in the neighborhood of Turner’s station near where the casualty occurred. He was in the city the day before buying goods and left for home on the evening train, which he left at Turner’s station to walk home, but it is supposed he was under the influence of liquor and lay down on the tract and went to sleep. The unfortunate man was 28 years old and leaves a wife and two small children.

June 24, 1887

The death of John E. Rains, one of the best known citizens of Polk county, occurred at his home in the city at 10 o’clock last night. Mr. Rains was one of the earliest merchants of Bolivar. He was County Treasurer from 1863 to 1867.

Lebanon, Mo, June 21: William Miller, a farmer on the Gasconade, was shot and killed yesterday by his father-in-law, W.A. Jackson. There had been a disagreement about the management of the farm and Miller went to the Jackson residence during his absence, abusing the girls in the family. Jackson came upon the scene and shot Miller in the breast. He afterwards surrendered to the sheriff.

Died at the family home in this city, June 20, Jerome C. Kinney, aged 45 years. Deceased has been a highly respected citizen of this city the past 18 years, and was a prominent Knight of Labor as well as of the A.O.U.W. and other orders. He leaves a wife and six children to mourn his untimely death.

Jim Phillips, the murderer of Mrs. Clarkson was arraigned before Justice Evans Monday night and his preliminary examination progressed until the case was abruptly dismissed Wednesday evening, when the prisoner was re-arrested to answer in the circuit court to an indictment for murder in the first degree found by the grand jury the day before.

July 1, 1887

Died at the family home on North Campbell last Sunday morning, Mrs. Margaret Kintres, wife of Mr. James Kintres, aged 40 years. The funeral took place Monday and her remains were laid to rest at Maple Park Cemetery.

July 8, 1887

Lamar, Mo., July 4: During a thunderstorm today at Nashville, twenty miles southeast of here, where citizens of the surrounding country were celebrating the Fourth, a stroke lightening instantly killed four persons, considerably shocking several others, and killing one span of horses and one span of mules. The parties killed are Mr. Jas. Munson and wife, and Mr. Wm. Bath and wife, all honored and respected citizens.

From the Joplin Herald: A man supposed to be A. M. Kelley, a well-known tramp printer, died at Hutton Valley, Howell county, a few days ago, after drinking twelve bar glasses of whisky in rapid succession. Kelley was a guzzler from guzzlerville and when a man whom he had importuned until his patience was exhausted, instructed the bar-keeper to give the bum all the whiskey he could drink, at his expense, Kelley used the license to the extent of killing himself. He was the typical tramp and vagrant.

July 15, 1887

From the Cassville Democrat: Last Wednesday W.O. Evans rode over to Exeter and took the train to Springfield and returned by the night train. When he got in three quarters of a mile from his house, some person jumped him and fired a rifle or small pistol at him, the ball striking him in the stomach. The noise of the shooting soon brought help and he was taken to his house where the wound was dressed.
           Mr. Evans, who was the brother of Mr. D.M. Evans of this county, died from the effects of his wound early last Sunday morning. Before he died, he stated he recognized the man who shot him as Steve Webb, his brother-in-law, who lives on the same farm. The two had not been on good terms. Webb denies he was the one who committed the murder.
           Mr. Evans was a prominent and highly esteemed citizen of Barry county. He was county clerk at one time and appointed coroner in 1882.
           Cassville, July 12: The coroner’s inquest over the body of Wesly Evans reported that he came to his death from the effect of the bullet wound “and we do find further that S.D. Webb was principal in the perpetration of said felony.” The accused, age 24, is taking the matter coolly and is languishing in jail, refusing to make a statement.

L. T. Matthews, charged with the murder of Robert Meadows, was brought here on writ of habeas corpus. Matthews was taken back to the Forsyth jail on Saturday.

Died at his home in Pond Creek township last Monday night of inflammation of the bowels, G.W. Guyette, aged about 42 years. His funeral took place under the auspices of the Republican Post G.A.R. His remains were interred in the Brittain cemetery. Mr. G. leaves a wife and children.

On Thur. evening, Mrs. J.M. Quinn died at her residence about 5 miles south of Lebanon. She had passed her 62d birthday, having spent 21 years in the county. The remains will be laid in the Catholic graveyard. She had been in poor health for some time.

July 22, 1887

One day last week James S. Allen committed suicide at his home in St. Clair Co, the rash act, it is supposed being due to a deranged mind. He climbed a tree, fitted his neck in the forks of two limbs and swang off and was soon strangled. He was about 75 years and well-known.

The father of Brooks, alias Maxwell, who killed C. Arthur Preller at the Southern Hotel [St. Louis] two years ago, is now on his way from England to St. Louis. The execution is set for August 26, and it is thought that the old gentleman’s presence may secure for the doomed man at least a stay of execution. His attorneys expect to take the case before the United States Supreme Court, but desire first to consult the father.

Lamar, Mo., July 17: Miss Alice Murphy, an excellent young lady of Washington, Mo. was visiting her relative, Mrs. T.D. Ball, of Lamar, and when leaving church services partially fainted. She was taken to Mr. Ball's residence and in less than an hour went from perfect health to a corpse. Her remains were shipped to Washington, Mo.

July 29, 1887

At Buffalo a few days ago while Wm. Gammon, a leading citizen and a soldier in the Mexican War was hitching his team to a vehicle, one of the horses kicked him in the abdomen, inflicting injuries from which he died.

Fort Smith, Ark., July 26: Examination of Pink Fagg, charged with the murder of Maj. A.S. Doran was completed last night. He was bound over for murder in the first degree. Mike McCulloch and Charlie Christian are held as accessories. Christian came here a few days before the killing form Cleveland, Tex. He had been sent to the Missouri Penitentiary form Boone, Mo. for a term of fifteen years for the killing of a young man named Sidney Smith; he served seven and was pardoned last year by Gov. Marmaduke. A young man named George H. Mathews, who testified for the defense, made a very crooked and apparently concerted statement and today was arrested on perjury. Fagg was raised at Springfield, Mo. and for years has been engaged in card playing and gambling.

Milo Plank, living on the James River near Springfield, was thrown by a bucking mule about 10 days ago. The horn of the saddle struck him in the abdomen, inflicting injuries which culminated in peritonitis from which he died Tues. night.

August 5, 1887

From St. Louis Post Dispatch: Telegrams were received yesterday announcing the death of Mrs. Stephen M. Edgell at Magnolia, Mass. Mr. Edgell, who died three years ago, was for a generation a prominent and successful business man in St. Louis. Mrs. Edgell had been in failing health for some time and her death was not wholly unexpected. She was about 75 years old. She had resided in this city nearly half a century. She leaves a son and a daughter—George S. Edgell of New York, late of this city and Mrs. S.P. Jocelyn, wife of Capt. S.P. Jocelyn, U.S.A. The remains will be brought here for interment.
           It will be remember that Mr. Geo. S. Edgell is one of Drury College’s staunchest friends.

Capt. J.W. Robertson, one of Christian county’s most prominent and influential citizens, died at his home near Ozark lat Monday, and his funeral took place from the Christian church the following day. Deceased leaves a wife and seven children.

August 12, 1887

Mrs. J.H. Penland died at the home of Edward Miller, seven miles south of the city, last Saturday evening, aged about 35 years.

Last Tuesday Sheriff Dodson and Deputy W.B. Hindman arrested David Douglas on the farm of Joseph Squibbs [sic] near Bois D’Arc and the same evening Deputy Sheriff L.J. Huntly of Pike county, Ill. left here with the prisoner. Douglas stabbed a man named Riley Kelly to death in the west part of Pike county and escaped. Most of the time since he has been working on the farm near Bois D’Arc.

Ozark, August 6: A fatal boiler explosion occurred at Reno, twenty miles south of Ozark yesterday afternoon in which engineer, Jesse W. Hissenand, met a most horrible death. The engine was running a saw and grist mill belonging to John Knox and had been in service about twenty years. A hole surrounding the steam pipe was blow out and the engineers frightfully mangled and scalded. He lived in the most excruciating pain for about seven hours. He was about 40 years old and leaves a wife and several children.

Friday night, John Roesch, who lives in the suburbs of East Joplin, was shot by some unknown person. He was lying asleep on a pallet on the front piazza of his residence. Two rowdies who were known to have driven out by that neighborhood were arrested in Webb City. Their names are Cliff Cook and Sam Schalk. They acknowledge having fired a shot in the suburbs, but deny malicious intent. They are in jail.

August 19

Dixon, Mo., Aug.14: Allen Powers, a lad about 18, was shot and almost instantly killed last night by William Nichols. There was a dance going on at the time, and Jeff Powers, a brother of the deceased, John Wallace and Tom Burns, who were all drinking wanted to go up to the dancing hall. The deceased was trying to keep them down and get his brother to go home when Nichols came up and apparently without motive, struck Wallace two or three times with his fist, then fired his pistol once in the air. Allen Powers and Burns then turned toward Nichols, who caught Powers by the arm and fired the ball into his left temple. Nichols then struck Burns with his pistol, left and has not been seen since.

Died at his home in this city last Friday, Otto Herring, aged about 60 years. Deceased has resided at this place almost continuously since 1859. He was a half-brother of John Schmook and by economy and close application to business accumulated property estimated to worth $40,000–50,000.

J.M. Gaba was down in a well on the place of T.S. Wilson, 5 miles north of the city Tuesday morning and was overcome by damp and fell back into the well. George Bayers, a young man, at once descended to bring Gaba out, but was also overcome and lost consciousness. A few moments later Mike Caplinger went down and brought Bayers out, then went back for Gaba. When they were drawn up about 18 feet the bucket got fastened to the side of the well, and by the two men were hoisted to the top, Gaba was dead and Caplinger unconscious. Bayers and Caplinger were revived in about half an hour. Mr. Gaba was an industrious citizen, about 37 years of age and leaves a wife but no children. His remains were buried at the grave yard on J.S. Owen’s place four miles north of the city.

August 27

Pleasant Hill, Mo., August 19: About noon today Maj. C.C. Dawson, an old and much respected citizen of this place, was shot and instantly killed by a man giving his name as Charles Tabor. They had just concluded a game of pool in which Tabor was defeated but did not have the money to pay for it and asked Dawson to do so, which he did. Maj. Dawson was heard to say in a joking manner, “I guess I’ll have to lock you up” and upon hearing his Tabor instantly drew a revolver, firing two shots into the heart of Maj. Dawson. When taken into custody a kit of burglar’s tools was found in his possession and he must have believed Dawson was a detective and feared arrest. There was some talk of lynching the murderer and he was at once taken to Harrisonville.

August 26, 1887

St. Joseph, Mo., Aug. 20: Robert N. Laws, a horse thief who escaped from jail in Webster county some time ago, was shot and fatally wounded by one of the deputy sheriffs about 11 o’clock last night [long article about the killing].

September 2, 1887

William Graham was instantly killed in mine No. 12 Friday at Rich Hill by a lot of slate falling upon him. He leaves a wife and four children. A rather curious fact in connection is that the Constable who summoned the coroner's jury had papers to committ deceased to jail for refusing to pay a fine for disturbing the peace.

September 9, 1887

Newt Harrell, charged with killing Amos Ring in Taney county, who escaped from jail here on 2nd of last November, was arrested Tuesday at Golden City and lodged back in the jail here tonight. The man he killed was his step-father. [Later he was sentenced to 20 years.]

September 16, 1887

From Cabool Record: Jesse Sumpter who lived near here some three years ago was arrested in Springfield for murder. It is charged that he killed his brother-in-law in Jefferson county some six months ago, but the deed was probably done near Cabool three years ago. A little girl says that she saw him cut the man’s throat while his wife held her hand over his mother. Officer Dameron took Sumpter from the jail here to Cabool or Houston last Tuesday for trial.

Died at the family home in Los Angeles, California, last Monday night, Sept. 12th, 1887, Miss Kate Mansfield, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Mansfield, aged about 22 years. The sad news was received with profound sorrow by the man friends of the deceased in this city where she resided for many years and was highly esteemed.

September 23

Seymour Enterprise: Louis Kellogg, a young man who was digging a well east of town, fell to the bottom of the well and received injuries from he died in about an hour. Kellogg had been working in the well early Thursday morning and fell a distance of about 55 feet. The young man was a stranger here.

It is with profound sorrow that we chronicle the death of Prof. George W. Sittler, which took place at his home on St. Louis street last evening. His death resulted form a bruise on the head received by accidentally jumping against a stalactite while taking views in the Knox cave about ten days ago, which terminated in meningitis.
        Deceased was 40 years old and came here seven years ago from his native place, Shelbyville, Ill. He was on the leading photographers of the state and one of Springfield’s most prominent and popular citizens. He leaves a wife and one little girl.

Jim Hanks, colored was returning home from work in the east part of the city last Saturday evening when Jim Morton, another colored man, assaulted him with stone, one of which struck Hanks on the head and knocked him down. Morton continued the assault; Hanks drew a rusty pocket-knife and cut Morton several times in the breast, from which he died about midnight. Hanks turned himself in and was released on Tuesday on the grounds of justifiable homicide.

September 30

John Kirby, who was sent to the penitentiary from McDonald county, some two and a half years ago, for killing his brother-in-law, Joe Goodwin, has been pardoned by the governor and is home again.

The funeral of the late Prof. Geo. W. Sittler took place Sat. forenoon and his remains were followed by a large concourse of people to the last resting place in Maple Park Cemetery.

October 7, 1887

Last Saturday forenoon the little four-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. James Tuney died at the family home on Jefferson street from the effect of burns received the day before. He had opened the stove door to take out some coals and had a paper kite in his hand which took fire and then caught his clothes about the waist and neck. The mother, who was in the next room, hurried to the rescue, but he could not be saved.

Wed. night sheriff J.J. Moore of Keytesville, went to the jail with some water for the prisoners. One named T.H. Baker seized him by the throat. Two others, Fred Maddox and Wilson came to Baker's assistance. The sheriff managed to draw his pistol and shot Baker through the heart and lungs. He dropped dead on the floor. Wilson, Maddox and a man named Martin made their escape, but Wilson and Maddox were recaptured. Baker was arrested on a charge of horse stealing. He was about 30 years old and formerly lived at Brookfield

October 14, 1887

Mr. John B. Beiderlinden, one of our oldest and most highly esteemed citizens, died Monday night at his home one mile southwest of the city, aged 73 years.

In the circuit court at Forsyth last Monday, Geo. W. Middleton, charged with the murder of Sam Snapp at Kirbyville, May 9, 1886, was found guilty and sentenced to 40 years in the penitentiary.

Died last Saturday morning, after a protracted illness at the family home near Henderson, Mo., Mrs. Ellen Bouldin, wife of Capt. A.C. Bouldin. Her remains were interred Sunday at Mt. Oliver cemetery. Deceased was a sister of Col. T.C. Love of this city.

October 21, 1887

Monday afternoon a west-bound freight train ran over a man lying on the track killing him instantly. Investigation showed the crushed fellow was Burt Chandler, a printer, aged 21, who for several weeks had been working at the Leader office. He had been drinking and it is supposed that he became unconscious and lay down on the tracks. The unfortunate young man’s parents live at Ottawa, Kans, to which place the remains were forwarded.

Cassville Republican: A girl of Mr. Tabor of Rock creek who was bitten by the same dog that bit her brother who died of hydrophobia a few days ago is having spasms, but was some better, apparently at last accounts.

On Thursday of last week, Harry A. Jackson, a brakeman on the Gulf line was fatally injured while coupling the cars at Everton.

Died of diphtheria at the family home on Clay street last Friday, Clara Estelle, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A.Y. Ross, aged 9 years. Her remains were laid to rest at Maple Park Cemetery.

October 28, 1887

From Willow Springs Index: Sensation at West Plains: About three weeks ago an infant child was found in the bottom of a well. An investigation showed it had been there several months. Finally, Miss Bettie Hogan and her brother Robert Hogan, county clerk of this county, were arrested charging them with the crime. They are under a bond of $2000 each. Bob was one of the most popular men in the county and was elected to the office with a large majority.

Rich Hill Review: A child of James Russell of Papinville, aged 2 years and 2 months, recently fell into a well and died several hours later. The mother was frantic and crazed with grief as she had inadvertently left the well uncovered.

Peirce City Democrat: Ed Hager of a Frisco bridge gang, was run over by the cars and killed at Monett the 18th. He moved to get out of the say of a passenger train and stepped onto a side track and was struck by some freight cars being backed down. He was between 40-50 years of age and leaves a wife and family in Springfield.

homicides in Springfield during the past seven years:

June 16, 1881, the trial ended of John W. Vaughn indicted for murder in the first degree for the shooting to death of Herman Robert, in his saloon on the north side. He was acquitted on the grounds of insanity and a few months later discharged from Fulton as a sane man.

September 16, 1882: Peyton Parish fatally cut Mike Ahern with a knife in a row in a saloon. The grand jury failed to indict on the grounds of justifiable homicide.

December 26, 1882: James A. Dameren fatally shot Henry Herndon while the two were engaged in a fight at Kinney’s saloon near the northwest corner of the square. Dameron was discharged on the grounds of justifiable homicide.

October 4, 1883: Jacob Walter died at Scott & Good’s saloon on Boone street from the hands of J.F. Atzert and Fred Winkle. The grand jury did not find sufficient evidence to warrant an indictment.

February 28, 1883, Jack Griffin, a notorious saloon loafer, shot and instantly killed young John P. Conroy, standing in front of the bar in Kirby’s saloon on College street. Griffin was convicted and is now serving out his 50-year sentence in the penitentiary.

June 23, 1884: T.C. Asbridge fatally cut W.L. Chapman in Kinney’s saloon. He was discharged on the grounds of justifiable homicide.

September 22, 1884: Chas.  T. Noland shot and mortally wounded Samuel O’Dell near Kirby’s College street saloon and was acquitted the following January.

June 13, 1887, Jim Phillips, a notorious saloon loafer and ex-convict, shot and killed Mrs. W.H. Clarkson, at her home on North Main street. Phillips is in the county jail awaiting trial for murder in the first degree.

The remains of Mr. C.M. Bennett, Sr. were removed from Havanna, N.Y. and interred last Friday by the side of his wife in Hazelwood Cemetery.

Elder J.P. McCorkle, a prominent minister of the Christ church and a brother of Mr. N.A. McCorkle of this county, died at his home in Santa Maria, Cal., Dec. 14th 1887, aged 62 years, 5 months and 29 days. Deceased, in the company of Wm. Campbell of Polk county, went from her to the Pacific coast about 34 years ago and successfully preached in California and Oregon from that time until about ten months since, when he was stricken with paralysis and never recovered.

November 4, 1887

It is with profound sorrow that we chronicle the death of Dr. De Robinson, which occurred at his home in Bois D’Arc a few minutes after one o’clock last Monday afternoon. His death resulted from Inflammation of the stomach, and was a great shock to his large circle of relatives and friends. He was interred in the family cemetery in Robberson township.

Dr. Robinson was a popular and skillful young physician of great promise. He was born in Chillicothe, Mo., November 2, 1854 and grew up in the town of his birth. Subsequently, he attended Central college at Fayette, Mo., in 1875 commenced the study of medicine under Dr. Ross of this city. In 1877 he graduated at the St. Louis Medical college and located afterwards at Bois D’Arc. In 1882 he graduated from the Bellevue hospital medical college in New York. He had a large and successful practice in Bois D’Arc, where he enjoyed a large and successful practice. About a year ago he was united in marriage with Miss Maggie Yeakley the accomplished daughter of Mr. Thomas Yeakley, who resides in the west part of the county.

Another Sad Suicide: Early last Tuesday morning, Miss Sallie W. Hopkins, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.M. Hopkins suddenly disappeared from the family home in the first ward. A vigorous search was made. Early Wed. morning Louise and Robert Gilmore, two boys employed at Doling Park found the lifeless body of Miss Hopkins in a recumbent position in the little steam pleasure boat. She had wound the half inch cord attached to the boat around her neck and resting on her knees, inclined her body forward until death ensued from slow strangulation. Miss Hopkins was about 30 years of age and had been ill for some time. Her family are highly esteemed citizens and have the sympathy of the entire community.

United Lodge, A.F. & A.M. adopted appropriate resolutions on the death of the late John B. Beiderlinden, who died at his home 1½ miles southwest of the city Oct. 9, 1886. Mr. Beiderlinden was born April 11th 1814 in Winkle, Prussia and came to America in 1842. In the spring of 1843 he came to this city and has resided her since. He was married in 1845 to Miss Nancy Smiley, daughter of Hugh Smiley, who removed here from Kentucky in 1840. He left a wife and five children, four of whom are living with their mother. His eldest daughter, Mary C., resides with her husband, A.K. Wilson, near Salem, Oregon. In 1861 Mr. Beiderlinden was appointed Deputy U.S. Collector of Internal Revenue and was assistant county assessor and later on served three or four terms as Justice of the Peace. He was a sound Democrat and one of Greene county’s most worth citizens.

James Erskine Ward, only beloved son of T.B. and Margaret Ward, died Oct. 30, 1886, at the family home in Taylor township, aged 17 years, 11 months, 29 days. His funeral took place the following day from Providence church, the impressive services being conducted by Rev. A.C. McGinty. The deceased was a bright and dutiful boy and much beloved by all who knew him.

Died at the family home in this city at 1 o’clock last Saturday morning, Charlie Ross, only son of Mr. and Mrs. A.Y. Ross, aged nine years. His remains were laid to rest in Maple Park Cemetery.

The funeral of Mr. W.E. Loyd’s two-year-old son, Charlie, took place from the family home in Brookline on Thursday of last week.

Mrs. Leroy Noble died at the family home in this city Wed. afternoon and her remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery.

November 11, 1887

From Forsyth News: Died of erysipelas, Oct. 29th, Elder H.C. Everett, aged 62 years and 6 months. Uncle Clay, as he was commonly known, was born in Clay county this state and removed to this county in 1871, where he has continually resided up to the time of his death. He has filled several positions of trust, among which were that of Probate Judge and postmaster of this place. He leaves a wife and large family of children, several of whom are grown. All the family were at his bedside when death came.

Died at the family home in this city Nov. 3, 1886 of diphtheria, Hattie Ross, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A.Y. Ross, aged 12 years. The funeral took place Friday. This is the third child in the family to die of the same disease in the past five weeks.

Last Sunday Missouri Inyard, colored, went out on the war path after Sarah Duncan, a young colored woman, who was walking the street with her husband, Toney Inyard. Missouri came across the couple at the corner of S. Campbell and Mt. Vernon and in a rage of jealousy attacked Sarah, plunging the long blade of a pocket knife into the right side of her breast, killing her instantly. The dead woman was taken to Paxson’s undertaking room and the murderess was arrested.

November 18, 1887

Carthage, Missouri: Nov. 14—Saturday Jesse Thatcher, aged 60, was kicked by one of his horses and today at noon he died from its effects. He had been a resident here twenty years and owned a large hardware store in the city, in addition to about six thousand acres of farm land in the county. Last night a hunting party returned to the city from Arkansas, bring home one of the party, John Thatcher, who died of chills.

From the Houston Herald: Laura Sutton, the little girl who was so badly burned on 30 ult. died of her injuries Friday morning at 7:30. She suffered terribly until breath left her body. Almost before this child had been dressed for the coffin her little fourteen month old brother was taken with membranous croup, and died Sunday. Both children were buried in the same grave. To the record of this family published last week, may be added the death of these two, leaving only two of the nine children born to N.B. and Nannie Sutton.

Died of cancer of the face at his home in this city Nov. 15, 1887, Mr. J.P. Gray, aged 54 years. James Price Gray was born in Williamson county, Tennessee, Jan. 10 1832, and came with parents to his county in 1840 where he lived almost continuously until his death. He was married Jan. 19, 1859 to Miss Sallie Gilmore of Cass county, this state. His wife and six children—5 daughters and one son—survive him. Mr. Gray was one of our most worthy citizens and his loss is mourned by a large circle of friends. The funeral took place yesterday from the family residence on North Jefferson St.

November 25, 1887

Died, after a protracted illness, Nov. 22d 1887, Miss Bettie Owen, eldest daughter of Capt. C.B. Owen of Wilson township, aged 20 years. Miss Owen at the time of her death was visiting at the home of Mr. Joseph Cook, a relative living in the neighborhood and became so ill she could not be removed home. She retained consciousness and conversed with those around here almost to the very last moment. Her remains were buried in the family graveyard in Wilson township.

December 2, 1887

Ozark, Mo.: Nov. 28 Last Saturday Flora Davis, a 4-year-old daughter of Geo. Davis, who lives on Bull Creek, 12 miles south of Ozark, in Christian county, died a most painful death, the result of scalding received 3 weeks ago. The little girl was playing around a kettle of boiling water, w hen the vessel turned over, almost covering the child with the contents. This is the second death if the Davis family from the same cause within a few years.

Resolution of Respect Nov. 28, 1887 by the Springfield Board of Fire Underwriters in regard to the death of Col. C.F. Leavitt. His family has lost a kind, loving husband and father.

Carthage, Missouri Nov 28: Immediately following the death of the Garrison brothers at noon today, another frightful accident occurred at the Ashcraft mines, between Webb City and Oronogo. Six sticks of giant power exploded in the engine house, which below the place to pieces and seriously injured two miners: John Rogy and J.R. Courtwright. Rogy will probably recover, but Courtwright is not expected to live. Courtwright was a formerly a carpenter in this city.

Col. Chas. F. Leavitt after an illness of only three days died at Silex, this state, last Thursday afternoon, aged 55 years. His remains were brought to this city last Saturday evening and the funeral took place from his late home on  Benton avenue under the auspices of the three local Masonic lodges and Knights Templar of which deceased was an honored member. The members of the local bar also attended in a body, and many others were present at the interment at Maple Park Cemetery.
        Col. Leavitt was a native of Maine and was colonel of a regiment in the Union army during the war, shortly after the close of which he came west and located in this city. He leaves a wife and three daughters and two sons, who have the sympathy of the entire community in their great bereavement.

December 9, 1887

Long story about Ralph Williams, who lived in the east part of Texas County, who was arrested and lodged in the Houston jail on a charge of murdering his wife, Etta Williams, on 9 October 1886. George W. Miller was charged with being an accessory. At the time of the alleged murder Williams had only been married about two months and it was said he was extremely jealous. William Cooper and William Haines were spending the night at the Williams house when Williams called them in and found Etta lying unconscious with a bullet hole above her right house. Williams denied having done the deed. He claimed some unknown person had fired the shot while Williams and his wife were asleep and the coroner’s jury returned a verdict to that effect. The community felt otherwise and Detective White was employed to investigate and the state now claims to have a positive case against Williams although evidence is mostly circumstantial. Williams appears very much excited but still protests his innocence. His father, Henry Williams, was a highly respectable citizen of Texas county and died a little over a month ago. The murdered wife was 20 years old and daughter of T.A. Cross, a worthy citizen of the same county. She was a popular young lady of more than ordinary intelligence. Altogether the case promises to be the most sensational case that has ever been known in Texas county.

From Cassville Democrat: James P. McCaslin was shot from the brush Friday evening of last week and instantly killed by Leander Hambrick near the Seller place on the Berryville road, close to the Arkansas line. Hambrick went home and told his wife what he had done and immediately fled. Mrs. Hambrick informed others and McCaslin was found dead in the road, completely riddled with short. The murder was caused by an old grudge and jealousy.

Died last Sunday at the family home in this city, William H. Routt, aged 22 years, 9 months and 13 days. The funeral took place Monday and the remains were laid to rest at Hazelwood Cemetery.

From Galena Oracle: The 1st inst., about 25 miles from Galena, near the house of Missouri H. Wilder and about ¼ mile from the state line, a boy named Wagner and another young man named Ambrose concealed themselves on the road and as Cull Garrett was passing them fired upon him from the brush. He dismounted and fired back. Another Ambrose boy heard the firing and rode rapidly to the place. Several shots had been exchanged and Garret had been hit in both arms. Ambrose at once fired on Garret and gave him the wound that proved fatal. Garret in the meantime and hit and killed Wagner, Garret, after being mortally wounded, fired on and wounded young Ambrose; both Ambrose boys took flight and left the state. Garret rode to Wilder’s and called for help. He died near 10 o’clock.

William Rogers, who resided near Competition, but in Wright county, was killed Monday by the accidental explosion of a gun. He was blowing in the gun, not knowing it was loaded.

December 16, 1887

Hon. Wm. G. Hobbs, receiver of the land office of this city, died at his home last Sunday afternoon. He died of peritonitis after an illness of but four or five days. His remains were conveyed to his former home in Cassville, where they were interred under the auspices of the Masonic fraternity. He was also a member of the Royal Arcanum from which his wife and four little ones will receive $3000 insurance.
           Mr. Hobbs was born in Benton county, Ark. thirty-five years ago and has lived in Missouri the past twelve years, residing at Cassville, where he filled different county offices until he was appointed receiver of the land office a little more than a year ago. He was one of the most genial, gifted and popular young Democrats in the entire Southwest and his death will be deeply mourned by a large circle of friends who extended sincere sympathy to his bereaved wife and four little children.

Died at his residence, 811 West Elm street of dropsy December 19, Giles T. Newbill, aged 32 years, one month and three days. The funeral took place from the family residence, with Elder O.A. Carr of the First Christian church conducting, after which the remains were laid to rest at Maple Park Cemetery. Deceased was highly esteemed citizen and leaves a wife and two little boys, one aged five and the other an infant. He was born on his father’s farm 2½ miles west if the city.

December 23, 1887

Testimony in the trial of E.L. Anderson for the murder of his father, Swan Anderson, on the night of 23d of May 1880 near Mountain Grove. Mentions James Archer, John Cover, Fred Archer, Henry Anderson, Wm. Cox and Ewing Sanders.

Died after a protracted illness at the family residence on East Walnut street on the 15th inst., Mrs. J.S. Ambrose, aged 42 years. The funeral was conducted by Rev. J.M. Bent of the First Baptist Church of which the deceased was a devout member. The remains were placed in Maple Park Cemetery. The bereaved husband and only son Frank have the sympathy of many friends and acquaintances.

In the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Armstrong was interred last Sunday evening.

December  30, 1887

The trial of Ed Anderson charged with the murder of his father, Swain Anderson, at Mt. Grove closed before Judge Bland at Lebanon last Friday afternoon, the jury returning a verdict of guilty in the first degree. Anderson is sentenced to be hanged on February 17, but an appeal will be taken to the Supreme Court.

Gov. John S. Marmaduke died after a brief illness of 48 hours of pneumonia on December 29, 1887. He was a native Missouri and aged fifty-five years.

Died at his home four miles east of the city last Friday, Samuel Young, aged about forty years. Deceased lived in this county nearly all his life and his death is sincerely mourned by a large circle of friends. He leaves a wife and two children. The remains were buried in the family grave yard on Judge Joseph T. Morton’s place fives miles east of the city.

Died on December 21, 1887 at the family home in Cass township, Mrs. Elizabeth Sloan, wife of Geo. W. Sloan and mother of Thos. Sloan, aged 71 years. Mrs. Sloan was married to her husband fifty years ago, and to them six daughters and one son were born. She and her husband came to this county from Tennessee at an early day with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Magill. She began her Christian life at the age of sixteen and was the last of the original members of the Presbyterian church at Cave Spring, the oldest of the Presbyterian churches in this region. Her remains were taken to the Presbyterian church at Willard, were services were held by Rev. Geo. F. Davis. The interment was in Murray’s cemetery.

At Jefferson City on Saturday, Gov. Marmaduke pardoned two of the oldest convicts in the pen. One was William Cole, who came from Webster county and was serving a life term for murdering his wife. He had served 14 years, 9 months and 10 days. The other was Jeremiah Collins was once under sentence of death in St. Louis but his sentence was commuted by Gov. Gratz Brown to life. He has served 15 years, 3 months and 10 days. He is 70 years old and for years he has been of unsound mind and perfectly harmless. He will be cared for by a sister in St. Louis who is said to be in comfortable circumstances.