Springfield Express

Springfield, Missouri


January 1 1886

The man killed by the cars near Ash Grove on the 18th ult. was named Elsey P. Coe and he formerly lived at Plymouth, Ohio.

Lamar, Mo.: December 28: Homer Millard, one of the best citizens in Newport Township, was kicked to death at his home, seven miles east of here, about 7 o’clock this morning. He and a 14-year-old son had hauled a load of fodder to the feed lot, and were distributing it to the stock. Millard was on top of the load, and when it was partially unloaded, stepped down backwards toward the front end of the wagon bed, making a false step, he fell under the horses feet and one of them, a very fractious animal, kicked him full in the face, fracturing his skull above the nose. The unfortunate man died within a half an hour. He left a wife and three children.

On Thursday of last week a young man named Lee Hunt, aged 19, while hunting near West Plains, Howell county, accidentally shot and killed himself. He, with his companions, was sitting on a lot reaming a load of shot down in the barrel when the weapon slipped from his hands and was discharged, the contents entering his abdomen and causing his death in half an hour.

At Lehigh, Jasper county, last Friday, a man named Charley Sparr, having prepared two blasts and ignited the fuse, signaled the man on top to pull him out of the shaft. The holster was started, but the hook was not fast to the tub, and the man was hoisted to the top holding on to the rope which gave way just as he reached the top and he fell to the bottom a distance of 90 feet. This alone would have been sufficient to have crushed to the life from the unfortunate man, but in addition, to the terrible fall, the blasts both went off about the time he struck the bottom and mangled him almost out of human shape.

January 7

The wife of Charles Van Pelt at Lamar committed suicide last Sunday by drowning herself in a well. It is supposed the rash act was due to temporary insanity brought on by grief over the continued illness of her youngest child.

Lamar, Mo., Jan 5th: Joseph Carper, a widower living three miles north of this city on a farm with his brother–in-law J. Baltzell, committed suicide this afternoon by deliberately discharging the contents of a double barrel shot gun in his left breast, dying instantly. He left no word or note stating the cause. He had been addicted to morphine habit and for some time past had been very melancholy. This makes the third suicide since December 25.

Marion Whitlock, the colored man, who was shot by Peter Small, also colored, at a kind of Christmas gathering a few miles north of the city on the evening of the 21st ult., died form his wound last Sunday night. Small, who claims the shooting was accidental and done while the two were engaged in a friendly scuffle, was arrested Sunday afternoon. If Small had left his bloody pistol at home instead of violating the law by carrying it, Whitlock would now be living and a free man.

January 15, 1886

J.M. Willard, professor of Latin and Greek in the Southwest Baptist college at Bolivar, died at that place last Friday afternoon of erysipelas of the throat, aged 32 years. He was connected with the college the past two years and leaves a wife, but no children.

Died at the home of his brother, Mr. Henry Greene on Grant street, last Sunday evening, after a protracted illness with consumption, Lewis Greene, aged 38 years. Deceased was born in Barry, Ill., His remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery.

Early last Friday morning a dead man was found lying in the snow close by the railroad track at Dorchester and at the suggestion of Judge J.N. Hosey, who was on the east-bound passenger train, Conductor Grist had the body placed in baggage care and taken to North Springfield. The body was identified as Wm. Blakeney, a brick layer of this city, who left his wife at the home of her father, Mr. J.M. Arnold, in the 2d ward, on the 22d of last month and went to Little Rock to get work, but failing to find any he went up the river to Ft. Smith. There his efforts were also fruitless and finally discouraged he concluded to return home. He kept a pocket diary and from the notes it appears that he traveled part of the time on foot and part of the time he managed to ride on the cars. The last entry was made at Plymouth, near Peirce City, the day before his death and read: “Spent my last 20 cents for breakfast and hope to be with my wife Mary tonight.” But the poor fellows hopes were not realized. Trudging along on foot in the bitter cold night he became exhausted and almost in the sight of home, he sank by the wayside and was frozen to death. Wm. Blakeney was about 40 years of age and was a soldier during the war in Company I, 155th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, He leaves a wife, to whom he was married in this city a little more than a year ago. His funeral took place from the home of Mr. Arnold, his father-in-law, last Sunday and his remains were interred in the National Cemetery southeast of the city.

About the first of last month, U.S. Commissioner McLain Jones of this city issued warrants for the arrest of Thos. Cameron and David L. Penny of Hickory County for making fraudulent claim of $548 under certificate 205.327, which was held by Ruth Starkey, a pensioner of the United States. The claim was supported by false affidavits and for alleged services and expenses of Mrs. Starkey’s last illness and burial, the items being as follows:

“Eliza Elliott, for services as a nurse for Ruth Starkey, widow of Jarvis Starkey, deceased from 1875-1877 $200

David L. Penny for making coffin and burial clothes $48

John Tillery, M.D., for medical services $300.”

Penny was arrested and placed under bond; Cameron could not be found at first, having left Hickory County, But he was drawing a pension himself and requested the money be forwarded to him at Monticello, Maine. He was living with relatives across the line in Canada, but collected his mail at Monticello. The next time the messenger called the postmistress, Cameron was informed there was a valuable letter waiting for him. Cameron promptly made an appearance and was nabbed by Deputy Marshal Lyon and brought to Springfield. Cameron’s wife is a daughter of the dead Mrs. Starkey and Miss Elliot is his step-daughter. Dr. Tillery stated he had never charged nor received $300.

January 22

One day last week Ed Neal, aged about 23 years, son of Dr. Neal living in the southwest part of Polk County  was found frozen to the ground by the roadside and the horse he had been riding was near him. All of Neal’s  limbs were so badly frozen as to necessitate amputation, and at last accounts his recover was considered impossible. Young Neal was making a trip from his home to Dadeville when he was overcome by extreme cold.

From the Vernon Chieftain: A most deplorable accident in Aurora township. Last Friday, a son of Wm. Neill, aged 16 years, accidentally shot his younger brother, aged 9 years, from the effect of which he died last Monday.

Mr. John W. Hatfield, Sr. died last Monday, aged 70 years. His funeral took place yesterday morning.

Asby Cox, aged 24, son of Deputy Sheriff T.M. Cox, died of consumption at the family home in this city Monday night and was interred on the following day at Hazelwood Cemetery.

Died at the home of Mr. V.C. Smith in this city early yesterday morning, Mr. Wm. C. Gardner, aged 36 years. His remains will be interred by the side of his twin brother, the late James A. Gardner, in Maple Park Cemetery this afternoon.  

Died of pneumonia at her home on Grand Prairie, northwest of the city last Wednesday, Mrs. Nancy Johnson, mother of Mr. L.D. Johnson, aged 67 years. Her funeral takes place from the Brick Church today.

January 30

The funeral of the late M.J. Oliver took place Wednesday from the family home on Main street and his remains were interred in Hazelwood Cemetery. Deceased was 30 years old and leaves a wife and one child to mourn his untimely death.

Died at the home of her son, Mr. Samuel Crenshaw, about 8 miles south of this city, January 26th, 1886, Mrs. Fannie Crenshaw, aged 79 years. Deceased was a lady of true Christian character, a consistent member of the Methodist Church since she was 14 years of age, and was beloved by all who knew her. Her funeral took place yesterday afternoon.  

February 5

Died at his home in West Plains last Monday morning, Mr. B.M. –ram, aged about 42 years. His remains were brought to this city and interred Wednesday in Hazlewood Cemetery, the funeral taking place form the home of Mrs. A. E. Green, mother-in-law of the deceased.  

February 12

A fulton paper says that 21 were [sic] important figures in the life of the late Dr. T.R.H. Smith, superintendent of the lunatic asylum at that place. He was born 21 February 1820, was married at the age of 21, on the 21 April 1851, his last appearance at a public entertainment was on the 21 November 1885, and he died on the 21 December 1885.

After a protracted illness at the Baily home 3 miles west of the city, Mrs. Elizabeth Robertson, wife of L.A. Robertson died early yesterday, aged 45 years. Deceased was a sister of Messrs. Wallace and — Blackman and has lived in Greene County all her life.

Hal C. Young arrived from Arkansas last Sunday for the funeral of his father, Col. H.C. Young. H.C. Young died of pneumonia after an illness of two weeks at his home in the this city on Feb. 4, 1886. Deceased was a native of Kentucky and came with his parents to Southwest Missouri when in his boyhood. He was admitted to the bar in this city in 1857 and lived here and successfully practiced his profession almost continuously since that time. In politics Col. Young was an active Democrat and enjoyed an extensive acquaintance among prominent members of the party throughout the state. He leaves a wife and four sons. His remains were placed in Maple Park Cemetery. Resolutions by the local bar were made with F.S. Hefferman, Esq. chairman.

From the St. Louis Chronicle 8th inst.: The funeral at the Second Baptist church over the remains of the late W.H. Carroll, yesterday were very impressive. The coffin which rested at the foot of the pulpit was covered with beautiful flowers. The attendance of friends of the deceased was large.
           Mr. Carroll was a son-in-law of Mr. Massey of this city and had numerous friends here who deeply deplore his untimely loss. He leaves a wife and two children.

February 19

After a brief illness with pneumonia, Maj. B.J. Newsom died at the family home in this city on the evening of 11 February, 1886, aged nearly 52 years. Deceased was born near Lebanon, Tennessee. His wife is a daughter of Mr. F.Y. Ewing and a cousin to Mrs. Senator Cockrell The family have lived in this city since 1875, since which time he has been well known to our citizens both as a business man and active member of the Democratic party. He leaves a wife and three daughters—Mrs. J.D. Sheppard of this city, Mrs. Carrie Harding of Wichita, Kansas, and Miss Grace Newsom—besides a large number of other relatives and friends to mourn his death.

The funeral took place from the family home on St. Louis street Saturday morning, and his remains were laid to rest in Maple Park Cemetery. Resolutions adopted by Fidelity Lodge No. 45.

February 26

From the Neosho Miner & Mechanic: Edmund Vegele, son of M. Vegele, who lives near Ritchey, was out hunting with his brother on Monday of last week. The brother had a doubled barrel shot-gun and having discharged on barrel set the gun down on the ground, when it discharged accidentally, the content of the other barrel and charge of shot were lodged in Edmund Vegele’s thigh. Doctors Lamson and Lestendorfer attended the injured boy who survived until Saturday morning. No blame can attach to the grief stricken brother, at whose hand this terrible and fatal mischance occurred.

They mystery shrouding the whereabouts of Mrs. Sarah Graham, wife of Geo. E. Graham, who is in the county jail here on the charge of bigamy, was doubtless explained yesterday a little before noon by Mr. John Potter, of Brookline and others who in exploring a cave on the farm of Mrs. Emma Molloy, four miles northwest of the city, which is the home of Graham and his second wife, found the nude body of a woman partially decomposed. The body was at the bottom of the cave about 50 feet under ground and near it lay the clothing and a hand satchel that belonged to the murdered woman. The cave is but a few hundred yards from the house where live Graham and his second wife and his two little boys, sons of the murdered woman. [This was a sensational murder case in Greene County annals. There is a publication as well as extensive newspaper articles about the murder.]

March 5, 1886

In Polk county Wednesday, Alonzo Z. Swingle, a farmer, shot and killed his brother Siegel Swingle.

Capt. John B. Perkins recently died at his home in Peirce City. He formerly lived in this city.

Near Lamar last Monday J.W. West deliberately shot and killed S.K. Reynolds. The homicide grew out of trouble over some land that West had a claim on. West was arrested and jailed.

In the Circuit Court at Ozark Wednesday afternoon James S. Peyton, aged about 17, one of the boys charged with shooting to death a little child of Bud Mathews in that county last April and was found guilty of murder in the first degree.

News has been received here of another killing in Taney county, Capt. Nat N. Kinney having shot and killed a young man named A.J. Cogburn at the Oak Grove church on last Sunday. Kinney formerly kept a saloon in this city.

[Extensive coverage of Graham murder on second page]

Died at his father’s home in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee, last Sunday, Rufus Lee Atkisson, aged 20 years. Deceased was a brother of Prof. W.L. Atkisson and Mr. C.C. Atkisson of this city.

March 12

John A. Scholten, the well-known St. Louis photographer, died at his home in that city last Sunday, aged 57 years. His funeral took place Tuesday and his remains were buried in Calvary Cemetery. Deceased was a brother of Mr. Henry Scholten of this city. He was born at Rees in Prussia and came to this country when 14 years old.

Robert Crockett, a well-known citizen of Mt. Vernon, was found in an insensible condition on the west side of the square at that place about 11 o’clock on the night of the 24th ult. He was severely wounded about the head and face, and was carried home and died soon after without having become conscious. His murderer was unknown.

In the circuit court at Mt. Vernon, W.M. Horner, charged with killing Davis T. Boswell in Lawrence county on the 25th of July was sentenced last Friday evening to 99 years in the penitentiary.

From the Bolivar Herald 4th inst.: Yesterday evening Lon Swingle came to Bolivar and surrendered to Sheriff Dollison, with the statement he had killed his brother Sigel Swingle. He talked freely about the concerning the affray. About 4 o’clock Sigel drove to where Lon, with his younger brother Willoughby and his nephew, Harrison, were making a fence. Sigel threatened to beat Lon’s brains out and fired one shot. As he was about to draw another shot, Lon fired and Sigel dropped dead. Both parties of the affray lived about three miles southwest of Humansville on the lower edge of 25-Mile Prairie.

Died at his home on Leeper prairie, this county, on 4th inst. Barton Johnson, aged about 75 years. Deceased was one of the oldest citizens of the county and leaves a wife, four daughter and two sons.

A colored man named John Ross, aged about 45, died after a brief illness at his home in the northwest part of the city. He had violent spells of nausea just before his death, which together with the report that his wife had served in the penitentiary for killing her former husband with an ax, caused the suspicion that he may have been poisoned.

Died of heart disease at his home in this city last Friday, Capt. Fred. W. Fischer, aged 49 years. Deceased served in the Union army during the war and at his request his remains were interred at the National cemetery by the side of many old comrades. For several years Capt. Fischer has been the senior ember of the firm of Fischer and Preis, cigar manufacturers and not long since he was re-elected president of the Germanis Saengerbund. His wife and four children survive him.

March 26

Died last Saturday after a long illness in the family home in Urbana, Dallas county, Mrs. Louisa Slavens, aged 69 years. Deceased was a sister of Judge M.J. Rountree; Capt. L.A. Rountree and Justice Z.M. Rountree of this city and vicinity. She was a most excellent lady and leaves of large number of friends and relatives to mourn her loss.

Died at the family residence on Chestnut street, this city, Wednesday,24th inst., Miss Clara Gubernataor, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. E. Gubernator, aged about 16 years. The funeral services took place at the Catholic Church yesterday morning.

Peirce  City, March 16: C.R. Carter, druggist, and Dr. Thomas Kelton, were arrested Saturday at Mt. Vernon, charged with the murder of Robert Crocket two weeks ago. The theory is that Crocket was killed to do away with evidence of unlawful whisky traffic.

April 2

Mrs. Job Newton, who died last Saturday morning at the family home on West Walnut street was buried Wednesday. The funeral was deferred so that Harry C. Newton, son of the deceased, could get here from Colorado.

Long story about the arrest of Wm. Taylor on the charge of murdering a young man named Dimmock. The murder occurred in Taney county. Wm. M. Taylor, age 23, is a brother of Tubal and Frank Taylor who were hanged about a year ago. Taylor was teaching in Lawrence County. The Bald Knobbers have said they are ready to “attend to his case.”

 April 9

The wife of Mr. B.W. Henslee died last Friday, age 60 eyras. Her remains were interred at Hazlewood Cemetery.

Died, at the family home on Boonville street, this city, after a long illness, last Tuesday evening, Thos. H.B. Laurence, aged 48 years. The funeral took place Wednesday afternoon under the auspices of Solomon Lodge and St. John’s Commandery, A.F. & A.M. of which deceased was a member and his remains were laid to rest at Maple Park Cemetery. Judge Laurence was one of our most worthy and honored citizens, was born in Walnut Grove township and has lived here all his life. In 1874 he was elected Probate judge, which position he resigned nearly two years ago on account of his poor health. He leaves a wife and two little daughters.

At a recent term of the Christian county circuit court, James S. Payton, indicted for murder was found guilty and sentenced to hang on 28th of next month. The crime for which Payton, who is only 17 years old, is sentenced was committed about a year ago, at which time it is charged that he and his brother shot at a man named Bud Mathews, who was in a wagon with his family moving from Taney county to Chadwick. The shot missed Matthews and killed his two-year-old child Claudie. The house in which the Payton’s lived had previously been shattered by giant powder, and some of the family badly hut, which they charged to Matthews. The case of the other Payton boy is still pending. Both the prisoners are confined in the jail in this city.

April 16, 1886

Mrs. Matt Jeffries and her babe were found dead in bed at her home at Conner’s Mill 15 miles south of Lebanon on the 7th inst. This was the horrifying sight that met her husband when he returned home about noon from his blacksmith shop. His little 2 year-old-child was found playing in the room. The verdict of the coroner’s jury was that Mrs. Jeffries death was caused by heart disease and that the baby was smothered.

From Macon, Mo., April 13: Uncle Robert Gibson, who was probably the oldest man in the world, died at his home in this county April 3. Death was so gradual that it was impossible to tell when his breath left his body. For of his children, themselves part three score years and ten, were present at his death bed. For the past six months deceased has been unable to walk across his room, and could scarcely take any food. He was buried in the cemetery near College Mound. He was born in Randolph County, North Carolina in January 1767, and was 120 years, 3 months and 8 days at the time of his death. In 1798 he married and moved to Wayne County, Kentucky and in 1809 moved to St. Charles County, Missouri, at that time in the Western Territory of Louisiana. In 1820 he moved to Macon County, where he lived until his death. His first wife died in 1840, and he married again, his second dying in 1876. By his first wife he had sixteen children, thirteen of whom are still alive, the eldest of whom is now 84. His descendants number 400 and extend to the fifth generation. He was quite small in stature, but until a few months ago was able to attend to his own wants. He voted for Washington on his second term. He was quite temperate, chewing tobacco, but not smoking and he never drank whiskey in his life.

Died last Wednesday at the home of her son southeast of the city, Mrs. Louisa Bennett, aged 76 years.

The wife of Mr. P.B. Mayo died at the family residence in North Springfield last Tuesday, aged 26 years. Her remains were taken to Hillsdale, Kan. for interment.

About 10 o’clock last Monday forenoon a dead man was found some four miles southwest of town about 50 feet from the Gulf Railway track. The right side of his forehead had been crushed by a large stone and was no doubt murdered in his sleep. The deceased was about 30-35 years old, stout and muscular, dark complexion and black hard, about 5 feet 9 inches. He wore good clothing except for his ragged coat. On his person were found two memorandum books, in which were written “Henry Montgomery, Coleville, Tx. and “D.N. Shave, Wilksbarre, Pa., a photograph of a young lady, a pocket knife, a small purse containing a German cooper coin. There was also a letter written at Loraine, O., Oct. 5, 1885 which reads: To Whom It many Concern. This is to certify that P. Costello has been employed by this Company for about four years as a brakeman. He leaves our services of his own accord to try and better his condition West. To those in need of his services I can recommend him as a first-class brakeman. Your truly. Wm. Thurber, Supt. Cleveland, Loraine & Wheeling RR . The remains were taken to Paxson’s undertaking establishment. 

Died at his home in Ash Grove, last Sunday night, Dr. W.C. Swinney, aged 50 years. Deceased was a native of Kentucky and came with his family to this county about 18 years ago, locating on the Neville farm near Bois D’Arc. Three or four years afterward he moved to Ash Grove. He was a consistent member of the Christian church and also belonged to the Masonic order and Ancient order of United Workmen. His remains were laid to rest in the Ash Grove Cemetery.  

April 23

Thos. D. Mathis was sentenced in the circuit court at Galena, last Saturday to ten years in the penitentiary for the murder of his brother-in-law John Harris, about two years ago. 

From the Forsyth Home and Farm, 15th: We were told that about the first of last week a man by the name of Graham, living with Mr. A.E. Angel at Bradleyville, was accused by Mr. Angel of stealing $75 from his house. He denied the charge, but that night the mob took him out and hung him up for the purpose of making him confess. They did this several times, the last having trouble bringing him back to life again. They had no evidence of the man’s guilt and he continued to protest his innocence. These ruffians should be brought to justice.  

Mrs. Minerva Pinkney Adams, wife of our bereaved friend, Postmaster W.T. Adams of Brookline, who died after a short illness with petechial fever at the family residence March 27, 1886, was born in Maury County, Tennessee, in 1849, and came with her parents to this county in 1855, since which time she lived here up to the day of her untimely death. Her father, Charles Orrin Rainey, on his arrival in the county, bought 400 acres of land about 10 miles west of this city where the town of Little York was laid out by him. Mrs. Adams was married to her husband on Oct. 7, 1869, by Elder Kirk Baxter of the Christian Church, of which the deceased was a faithful and consistent member during the past 18 years. In her last illness all that medical skill and kind and loving hands could do was done, but without avail. Besides her devoted husband she leaves seven children—5 girls and 2 boys, the oldest aged 15 years and the youngest 1 week at the time of death… 

April 30

LYNCHED AT LAST! About 20 minutes before 2 o’clock last Tuesday morning a party of unknown men, the number estimated from 100-150, nearly all armed with guns and pistols and wearing mask, rode up the court house and jail. They roused Sheriff Donnell and placing him and the man on watch, Douglas, under guard. Long story where George E. Graham was hanged, protesting that Mrs. Molly and Cora Lee were innocent. Details of the inquest and verdict of the jury. 

Little Emma Hufschmidt, after an illness of three months , died last Saturday morning at the home of her step-father, Mr. S.G. Burton, on East Walnut Street, aged 3 years and 4 months.  

May 7

Carthage, Mo. April 23: John M. Howell, an old and respected farmer of Preston township, hung himself this morning at his farm, nine miles northwest of the city. He was bout the place this morning, doing chores and even visited neighbors before 9 o’clock. He went to the barn ostensibly to shell some corn, and his wife soon afterward discovered him hanging in the wagon shed dead. No cause can be assigned for the act. Howell was 55 years old and leaves of wife and eight children, some of them nearly grown.  

May 14

Last Friday forenoon, John Daugherty, a youth 17 years old, who was subject to epilepsy, was drowned in Wilson creek about one mile west of town, at which place he had been working about the slaughter house, shopping with Mr. C.M. Baker. He was last seen wading in the water while so doing it is supposed that he had a fit and was drowned. A party found the body Saturday morning, a short distance from where young Daugherty was last seen alive. An inquest was held.  

A few days before William Ashworth of Oregon, Mo. died, he had a quantity of gold coin. That was fifteen years ago, and though a careful search was made for the treasure, it could not found. Last week Mrs. Ashworth emptied an old churn that had stood on a shelf in the smoke house for years. The churn was full of beans and in the bottom was a tin can with a sock full of the long-searched-for gold. It amounted to $712.  

May 21

On Tuesday of last week, R.C. Scott dropped dead on the streets of Cabool, Texas county. He was an intemperate drinker and the coroner’s jury returned a verdict to the effect he died from the excessive use of intoxicating liquors.

J. Byron Hart, a citizen of Vernon county, attempted to board a train at Arthur station on the night of the 11th and fell under the wheels which cut off his right arm and made two ugly gashes on his head. He was found dead next morning lying where he fell. Deceased was in good circumstances and was a son of Capt. T.J. Hart, formerly a prominent merchant of California, Mo.  

In Vernon county, a few miles north of Nevada, last Saturday evening, Wm. Cruice shot and killed his brother-in-law Charles Jackson, at the home of the latter. The homicide grew out of trouble about the possession of a hotg and Cruice claimed was due him for work he had done for Jackson. The latter was about 45 years old and leaves several small children. His wife, who is a sister of Cruise, recently left him and filed suit for divorce. Cruice was arrested and lodged in jail at Nevada.  

Detailed account of the killing of Samuel Snapp by Wash Middleton at Kirbyville, Mo. in front of John Kintrea’s store. The deceased was buried Tuesday evening at the Snapp grave yard near Forsyth. His brother, R.C. Snapp and half-brother, J.M. Snapp, offer $100 reward for the capture and delivery of Middleton to the Sheriff of this county. [Since the above was published, Middleton has been arrested.] 

May 28

Theodore Morrison was indicted for murder in the second degree. On 11th inst. Theodore, who is 16 years old, was handling a shot-gun at the home of his father, D r. N.J. Morrison, when the weapon discharged, the loan taking effect in the right side of Julia Patterson’s breast, which resulted in her death last Friday morning. At first it was reported the shooting was accidental, but now there are different and conflicting stories about the unfortunate affair. Miss Patterson was 17 years old and worked at the Morrison home. She was an industrious young lady of respectable family land leaves many friends who mourn her untimely death.  

Died at the family home at Bois D’Arc on the 20th inst., Judson Bymaster, son of the late John Bymaster, aged about 18 years. His remains were interred in the cemetery at Ash Grove. His bereaved mother and brothers and sisters have the sincere sympathy of a large circle of friends.  

Died at the home of her brother, Mr. Will P. Stewart, in this city last Monday morning, Miss Maggie A. Stewart, aged 25 years. The funeral too, place Tuesday forenoon. Her last resting place is Maple Park Cemetery. She has been teaching in the public schools in this city and other places in the Southwest. Mr. Orion E. Coover, a prominent merchant of Golden City, was here to attend the funeral of his sister-in-law, Maggie Stewart. 

Wednesday morning the little 13 months old child of C. C. Fulton, while playing on the Gulf railway track, 20 miles east of here, was run over by a freight train and killed, its head severed from its body.  

Mountain Grove, Mo. May 23: This community suffered a terrible shock this morning when Swain Anderson, one of the wealthiest and most respected farmers, was found foully murdered one and a half miles north of town. He attended the Masonic lodge last night, leaving about 12:30 p.m. afoot. Mr. Cover and another party found him this morning, lying on his back with a terrible gash, caused by a shot gun.
     Last Tuesday Ed and Henry Anderson, aged 19 and 21 years, sons of the murdered man, and Ewing Sanders, the 17-year-old son of a widow living about a mile from the Anderson house, were arrested and admitted they were the guilty parties. Excitement was so intense at Mt. Grove, the authorities feared the young men could by lynched and sent them to Springfield. Yesterday, the coroner’s inquest over Swain Anderson’s body at Mt. Grove closed and the verdict was to the effect that his son Ed and Sanders were the principals and Mrs. Anderson and Henry accomplices.

 Another bloody tragedy was enacted in a small frame dwelling at 729 Garfield avenue in North Springfield a few minutes after 12 o’clock last Sunday night. Detailed story of the attempted murder of Mrs. Russell by her husband John Russell, an employee of the Frisco yards. Russell attempted to slash his wife’s throat, but she escaped and ran to the house of neighbor, Mr. S.J. Doyle. Russell, a few minutes after his wife escaped the room, placed the muzzle of his pistol to the right side of his forehead and sent a bullet crashing through his brains. He must have had a temporary fit of insanity.

  Mr. N.J. Breshears, a brother of Mrs. Russell said his sister’s maiden name was Lavinia Breshears. She was born and raised eight miles northeast of Buffalo, Dallas county, and married Russell in Marshfield eight years ago, coming to North Springfield in 1879. She was a member of the Baptist church in Dallas county. They have one child, four years hold, Stella May Russell, who was sent to her grandfather’s house that night at the request of her father. Russell had periodical insane spells about three times a year.

June 4, 1886

Neosho, Mo., May 31—The jury in the trial of the Morrison family for killing Daniel Tomlinson, in Newton County, last Christmas, returned a verdict of murder in the second degree. J.L. Morrison, the father, and Oscar, the second son, are sentenced to thirty years in the penitentiary and L.Z. and Edward Morrison were sentenced to ten years each.

From the Buffalo Reflex: Last Monday, George Cranfield, the insane son of Rev. Cranfield, living on Fourmile Prairie, attempted to commit suicide by slashing himself across the throat with a razor, inflicting a serious wound, Dr. Sater, the surgeon in attendance upon the would be suicide informs us that the patient may recover though he is by no means out of danger.

Died at his home in this city yesterday H.B. Grubbs, aged 58 years. The funeral will take place this afternoon.

Karl Saunders, the 12-year-old son of A.H. Saunders, of North Springfield, while handling a toy gun yesterday, accidentally discharged the deadline weapon, the bullet entering his right eye, causing his death in a few minutes.

June 11, 1886

Last Sunday evening Tip Robberson, the 18-year-old son of Frank Robberson who lives 1½ miles from Cave Spring, met a fearful death. The young man and his sister, after a visit at the home of John McGuire, started to return home, and Tip mounted his horse, which suddenly jumped to one side throwing the rider. One foot hung in the stirrup and the frightened horse dashed madly down a rock hillside 200 years, dragging the helpless young man over the rough ground, and falling into a gully at the foot of the hill. The features of young Robberson were mangled almost beyond recognition.

The case of James S. Payton, sentenced to be hanged at Ozark on the charge of killing a 2 year-old child of [Bud] Matthews has been advanced on the Supreme Court docket. Young Payton and his brother are both in jail at this city.

June 25, 1886

Near Peirce City last Friday night a young man named John Mulvegh was struck by lightning and instantly killed. He was in bed with two other boys, who were severely shocked.

Michael Crogan, better known as Nosey Mike, died in the Covington Hospital on Sunday, having been run over by a railroad train while drunk. Rum killed him and rum gave him his name. Twenty years ago in a fight his nose was cut off. The man who did the cutting gave Mike $20 to pay for having the nose replaced. Crogan took the money, got very drunk, and when he sobered up he found that he had the nose in his pocket. It was then past replacing.

From the Buffalo Reflex: James Norman, living 3 miles, northeast of Buffalo, was thrown from his buggy last Saturday morning, and when picked up in an insensible condition, was thought to be fatally injured. Dr. Slater, the attending surgeon, informs us that it is his opinion that he was first struck by lightning, at which the horse took fright and ran away, throwing Norman to the ground.

From the Houston Herald: Wednesday morning, Henry Reynolds, who resides near Pleasant Ridge, in this county, committed suicide by shooting himself with a revolver. Mr. Reynolds had been in bad health for some time and seemed despondent. He was about 24 years old and unmarried. He was held in high esteem by his neighbors and the sad event has cast a gloom over the entire neighborhood.

The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. A. Dalrymple, in the first ward, died last Sunday morning.

Tuesday afternoon lightning struck the house of Dr. Robberson, some 11 miles north the city and instantly killed his 17-year-old daughter Ella and severely shocked one of his sons.

Died, after a brief illness at the home of her daughter, Mrs. S.S. Vinton on South Jefferson St., June 18, Mrs. Emily L. Smoot, aged 72 years. Deceased was the widow of the late Charles B. Smoot of Baltimore, and a most estimable lady beloved of all who knew her. Besides a large number of friends and relatives, she leaves four daughters to mourn her loss, Mrs. Emily Honeywell of Baltimore, and Mrs. Vinton and Misses Clara and Mary Helen Smoot of this city. Her remains were laid to rest in the Maple Park Cemetery, after the funeral conducted by Rev. W.H. Osborne of Christ Episcopal Church.

July 2, 1886

Fair Grove, June 20: It is with sadness we record the death of Ethan Allen at his home near Cedar Bluff church last Sunday. While leading his singling class at church, he was taken with a pain in the head, which proved to be something like brain fever and resulted fatally. Bro. Allen was 37 years of age and leaves a wife and six children to mourn his loss. He was a member of the Baptist church at Cedar Bluff. He was superintendent of the Sunday School….The funeral of the deceased, his former wife and two children was preached last Monday by Rev. Dred Fortner.

David Burns, who was implicated in the cutting and shooting scrape in Camden county week, was brought to Lebanon last Friday to await his trial. Since the shooting, two of the parties, Frank Phennons and Larking Phennons have died, making a bad case for the prisoners.

July 9, 1886

Wednesday forenoon Ida Dillard, aged 17 years, died suddenly of heart disease at the home of Thos. Nelson in the north part of the city. The young woman lived several miles east of the city and had been stopping at Nelson’s only a few days.

Killed near Turner’s station, 7 miles east of the city last Friday a man who was lying on the Gulf railroad track, horribly mutilating his body and killing him outright. In his pocket was an empty whisky bottle. The unfortunate man was about 37 years old and from papers found on his body was named A.H. Ritchey and had recently worked as a laborer on the Gulf road at Cedar Gap; he had formerly been at Seligman.

July 16

Carthage, July 9: An inquest was held today over the remains of Thomas H. Small, who was killed yesterday near Carthage. Circumstances point almost conclusively to James Allen, the man who went out with Small to try the shooting qualities of a revolver, which he proposed to buy. Allen left town last evening with a girl of loose character, and drove to Webb City, where he gave the girl the slip and went to Joplin.

Carthage, July 13: Jim Allen was shot and killed today at Arcadia, Kan. by E.D. Pike, a detective of this city who went after him yesterday with papers for his arrest on the charge of killing Thomas Small. Allen was a desperate character and in undertaking to arrest him, it became necessary to shoot him. Allen was bent on killing Scott Murphy, who had gone to Ft. Scott, Kan. whither he was evidently pushing his way with deadly intent and filled revenge for the seduction of his wife and destruction of his home.

In Texas county circuit court at Houston last Saturday the jury found James Hicks guilty to the murder of Robert Barnes at Cabool in December 1884 and assessed his punishment at ten years hard labor.

About 8 o’clock last night W.F. McKenzie, the photographer, died quite suddenly of delirium tremens at the German boarding house on Oliver street. Coroner Van Hoose held an inquest and verdict was death came from the combined effects of strong drink and a severe fall received on the 14th inst. Deceased was bout 35 years old and came from England. He was formerly located here, and more recently at Neosho.

While Otis Peebles was swimming at the lake at Doling Park, he was taken with a cramp and drowned despite efforts to rescue him. His body was recovered in a few minutes. Deceased was about 18 years old and a member of the Gulf Kid Band. He lived with his sister, Mrs. Dr. Lane, in this city, and worked in Kanning’s barbershop.

July 23, 1886

Indianapolis, Ind.: July 22 A special from LaPorte, Ind. reports the drowning in Pine Lake this afternoon by capsizing their boat, Mr. Frank Molloy and Mrs. Rose Stern. Young Molloy was a son of Mrs. Emma Molloy, the temperance evangelist, Mrs. Stern was the daughter of Jacob Wile, of LaPorte.

Peirce City, July 20: The coroner’s inquest in the case of J.J. White and Ellen Bowe, murdered on the 8th of July was completed in Barry Co. The evidence of Willis Dehoney (colored) was plain, direct, unequivocal and reveals a depth of depravity, heartlessness and brutality unequalled and never excelled. Edward Club is the prince of Villains. The couple came to their deaths by gunshot wounds from a double-barreled shotgun in the hands of Edward Clum, fired with malice aforethought. Clum is securely behind the bars in the Cassville jail and the victims of his treachery were buried this evening.

Postmaster W.H. Pipkin and wife returned Sunday from Marshfield, where they attended the funeral of their niece, Miss Fannie Hoover.

Nevada, Mo. July 26. Mrs. James M. Jarvis, the wife of a farmer who lived 2½ miles south of Mitchell City, suicided early Sunday morning by jumping into a well. The husband attempted to save his wife, but was unsuccessful. Mr. Jarvis’ little son was present but being but 6 years old he could render little aid. The suicide is said to have been prompted by family trouble. The unfortunate woman leaves three children.

July 30, 1886

Died at her home in Shelbina, Mo., last Tuesday morning, Mrs. A. Ford, aged 85 years. Deceased was the mother of Mrs. W.J. Haydon of this city and a native of Kentucky, having removed to this state 25 years ago.

August 6, 1886

Died at his home in this city last Sunday forenoon, Mr. Henry A. Phelps, aged about 50 years. The funeral took place this afternoon and the remained were interred at Maple Park Cemetery.

Brookline, Mo. Aug 2: The saying that the young may die and the old must die was brought to remembrance yesterday in Sparkman Cemetery of an infant daughter, scarce four months, of Mr. W.T. Adams, whose wife died last March and left the babe only 8 days old. It was taken care of by Mrs. New Moore and the little one was in good health until 17 days ago when taken ill. The aged gentleman was Louis Rhule, an estimable citizen of our community who has lived a half century in Missouri. He came from Germany to St. Louis and was a member of the Lutheran church from his youth up. He leaves four sons, farmer in this township who are honorable and good citizens.

August 13, 1886

Died, after a long illness with consumption at his home in this city Aug. 9, Bryan H. Langston, aged 39 years. Deceased was born and raised in this county, and leaves a wife and five sons besides a large circle of friends. The funeral took place from the family residence last Tuesday afternoon. The remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery.
           Bryan H. Langston was born and raised in this county and few men indeed had a larger acquaintance and more personal friends among our people than he. At the age of 14 he enlisted in the 8th Missouri Calvary, serving three years. Since the war he has filled a number of public positions, the most prominent being that of U.S. Collector for this district. At the time of his death he was city marshal. He was also a member of the Republican state committee.

August 20

Died at his home in Neosho, last Friday, Robert W. Jones, aged 39 years. Deceased was a Democrat and prosecuting attorney of that county, an able lawyer and honored citizen. He leaves a wife and two children.

Last Friday evening Deputy Sheriff George Taylor shot Rube Prewitt at the latter’s home two miles east of Forsyth. Taylor had a warrant for Prewitt’s arrest on disturbing public worship. Prewitt had just gotten up from his sick bed and identified himself when Taylor drew his pistol and fired. Taylor is said to be a “bald knobber” and Prewitt who is against that organization was previously ordered to leave the country. The latter has a wife and children. His brother, Wade Prewitt, was also ordered out of that county a year ago last spring. At last account Prewitt was still alive, though it is not thought he can recover, the bullet having struck him the breast.

John B. Cox committed suicide at his home in the 3rd ward yesterday afternoon. He sat down in a chair, placed the muzzle of his revolved to his right temple and fired. Deceased was 65 years of age and has lived in this city many years. His rash act is supposed to have been due to some kind of mental trouble.

Died at his home on St. Louis Street in this city on August 16th, Judge W. F.. Geiger, aged 50 years. Deceased was born in Columbiana County, Ohio in June 1836. He came to Crawford county, Mo. in 1859. At the beginning of the war he entered the Union army as captain of a company in 1862 he organized the 8the Missouri cavalry at this place and served until the close of the war. In 1865 he married Miss Henrietta C. Bodge, daughter of Almaren Bodge, Esq. of Portland, Maine, locating in this city, where he resumed the practice of law. In 1868 he was elected circuit attorney on the Republican ticket and the following year was elected circuit judge of this district, a position he held up to his death. He leaves a wife, but no children. In the prime of manhood he contracted an insidious disease which was beyond his control to prevent and baffled human power to remove.
    The funeral services were conducted by Rev. D. Putnam at the Calvary Presbyterian Church. Chief mourners were the widow, Mrs. C.F. Geiger, Rev. Andrew Geiger of Topeka, Kansas, and his son Mr. George Geiger of this city, Frank Geiger, Esq. of Houston, Mo., Mrs. Catherine Geiger and daughter, Miss Julia of this city and Judge Black of the Missouri Supreme Court who came down from Kansas City accompanied by his daughter Susie Black, and niece, Emma Meister.

August 27, 1886

Last Saturday evening a young man named Henry Spratts near Willard this county, was riding home from the field where he had been plowing, when his horse became frightened and ran. Young Spratts was thrown and his feet getting fast in the trace chains was dragged about 400 yards and so horribly bruised that he lived only a few minutes afterward.

The wife of Mr. A.H. Powell died at the family home in this city on the —th inst. and her funeral took place last Friday.

Died, at the home of Mr. C.M. Eversol, Wednesday morning, Thomas S. Rhodes, aged about 40 years.

Jim Brown escaped from the jail at Springfield some months ago and passed through Taney county from Arkansas a few days ago. He robbed the houses of Reuben Naves, Noah Lenard, Boone Stafford and D.S. Stewart. A large posse under the direction of Jim Gray followed hot on his trail. They overtook him and Brown shot John Manes through the lower part of the bowels, severing the neck of the bladder. Ed Tuttle and William Brown, a brother of Brown were in the neighborhood. From the Forsyth Home and Farmer.
    Mr. J.C. Sheridan arrived here last Saturday night and informed us that he and James Bunch were members of the posse that pursued Jim Brown and overtook him in the woods about three miles from where he had shot Manes. They called to Brown three times to stop, but he continued to run. Bunch fired one shot and the bullet struck him in the back, killing him instantly.
           John Manes died of his wounds last Saturday evening and his funeral was one of the largest that has taken place in Taney County.

September 3, 1886

The late John Jump, who died not long since at his home in Polk County at the advanced age of 99 years, 7 months and 5 days, it is said, “boasted of never having taken a dose of medicine prescribed by a doctor, and never missed an opportunity to vote a Democratic ticket.” No wonder he lived to such a ripe old age.

The wife of Mr. H.F. Davis, a prominent citizen at Chadwick, suicided by hanging herself in a granary on Thursday night of last week. The rash act was due to an unsound mind.

W.R. Payton, aged 18, charged with shooting to death a child of Bud Matthews about 18 months ago, was acquitted in the circuit court at Ozark yesterday.

September 10, 1886

Died early this morning at the family home 7 miles north of the city, little Ella, daughter of Mrs. and Mrs. J. S. Owen, aged 17 months.

Joplin, Sept. 13: A horrible tragedy was committed on Main street about 8 o’clock tonight. Dr. L. G. Howard, a dentist and Ed Porter were passing along Main street, and when in front of G. B. Young’s dry-good store a shot was fired by an unknown person striking Howard on the side of his head and inflicting a fatal wound. After the shot was fired, the man disappeared in the darkness. Howard died the following day. A morning papers states that Howard had recently ruined the reputation of more than one prominent married lady here. He was born in Cuba and was of Spanish descent.

A little son of Mrs. and Mrs. D. –ch of Robberson township, aged — months died last Saturday (paper folded).

September 24

Chas. Brown and his wife, Emma, were arrested and jailed at Pineville a few days ago on the charge of poisoning to death their 2 week-old-daughter. If guilty, they deserve to be hung of sent to the penitentiary for life.

West Plains, Sept. 21: Ben Vernon and Bob Teasley, living at Lanton, 15 miles south of here, who had been enemies for some time, met yesterday morning when Teasley shot Vernon through the bowels, form the effect of which he died in a few hours. Teasley is still at large.

Marshfield, Sept. 13: Last November a German tramp named Ludwig Gumpel was killed while walking along the Frisco Railroad track, about three miles east of Niangua, by a fellow-tramp, a boy named Daniel Moore, about 16 years of age. Moore was found guilty of murder in the second degree and his punishment fixed at 40 years in the Penitentiary. As Moore is under the age fixed by law at which convicts can be sent to the penitentiary, the sentence is inoperative and the boy murderer will expiate his crime by serving one year in the County jail.

Last Sunday, Mrs. Mary E. Short, wife of John A. Short, died very suddenly of heart disease at the family residence on South Jefferson St. Mrs. Short dressed her little girl, aged 10 and boy aged 6 years and sent them to Sunday school saying she would be there at preaching them, but not appearing the little ones went to the home of their aunt, Mrs. Daniels, where they were to take dinner. Mrs. Short still did not appear and the little girl returned home where she found the doors fastened and looking through the window saw her mother lying dead on the floor. The little girl’s cries soon brought Rev. W.J. Haydon and Mr. Brann to the house, but all attempts to resuscitate Mrs. Short failed.
           Mr. Short, who is a railway agency on the Frisco line, was absent at the time, but returned home overwhelmed with grief that evening. Mrs. Short was about 32 years of age and a daughter of Rev. T.H. Haggerty of 1909 Grand avenue, St. Louis. Her bereaved husband and children have the sympathy of the entire community.

The aged mother of Mr. D.C. Henshey died at the family home at Altoona, Pa., last Wednesday in consequence his store was closed yesterday.

Died after a long illness with consumption at the family home in Wilson township last Wednesday morning, Mrs. Nancy C. Owen, wife of Capt. C.B. Owen, aged about 42 years. The funeral took place yesterday morning. The deceased was married to Capt. Owen on the last day of January, 1865. She leaves a husband and eight children.

October 1, 1886

In the circuit court of  Barry county at  Cassville last Saturday, Ed S. Clum, charged with the murder of J.J. White and Miss Ella Bowe in the north part of that county on the 8th of last July was found guilty of murder in the first degree and in all human probability he will hang. It took the jury but fifteen minutes to agree on their verdict.

The wife of Rev. J.W. Slater died at the family home in Franklin township on the 22nd ult. Deceased was a most estimable lady, and her bereaved husband and infant have our sympathy.

Died at the family home on Boonville Street in this city last Friday, Sept. 24, Sidney Gordon, infant son of Frank J. and Anna Winfield Price, aged 5 months and 28 days.

A man was found dead on the Gulf track last Sunday morning, 8 miles west of here, where he was killed by a freight train on which it is thought he was stealing a ride. It is supposed his name was I. J. Dugan and that he came from Kansas City, when he shipped his valise by express to this city.

From the Carthage Patriot, 25th ult. The engineer on the Wabash train this morning tells a horrible story. When near Montgomery his engine struck a man, tearing out his heart. From letters found on his person his name is Fred Cunningham and his home Peru, Indiana. One letters from a girl, presumably a dear friend warning him against drink. The remains were conveyed to Montgomery.

October 8, 1886

St. Louis, Oct. 5: Wallace, the murderer of the Logan family of five persons—father, mother and three children—was taken from the jail at Steelville last night by a mob and lynched. he protested his innocence to the last.

Died at the residence of his brother in Republic, Oct. 5th, 1886, Jerry Rose, aged 22 years.

Died at the family home in South Jackson township last Monday, Alfred Fenley, aged 79 years. Deceased was a native of North Carolina and came to this county about 46 years ago. He leaves a wife and several children, all grown.

The funeral of Mrs. John O’Day took place Saturday forenoon from the residence of Mr. S.H. Noblett on North Main Street and her remains were laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery 1½ miles west of the city.

October 15, 1886

The trials of two men, Wm. Taylor and G.W. Middleton, each indicted for murder in the first degree, are now pending in the Taney county circuit court at Forsyth. Taylor is the young school teacher charged with the murder of Mack H. Dimmock some time last winter. He is a brother of Frank and Tubal Taylor who were taken by vigilantes from the jail at Forsyth more than a year ago and hung. Middleton and Sam Snapp a few months ago became involved in a personal quarrel at Kirbyville in which the latter was shot and killed. Later: Taylor was acquitted.

Biography of Judge James R. Vaughan. James Robert Vaughan was born January 6, 1835 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee., and in 1849 removed with his parents, Thomas H. Vaughan and Susan B. (Lawing) Vaughan to five miles south of Ozark, in what was then Taney County, but added to Christian County when that county was organized. He worked on his father’s farm, receiving the principal part of his education at the popular school in Ozark presided over by Rev. J.C. Learned. When the war broke out, Vaughan was attending school at Union University in Murfreesboro and subsequently on March 16, 1862, he enlisted in the Union army under Gen. Samuel R. Curtis, joining as a private in Missouri Volunteer Cavalry…he was discharged at Baton Rouge, La., having been promoted to Sergeant… [article continues]

From the Neosho Times: Bill Smith and Levi Tinnen, colored men, quarreled over a calf on 23rd inst. [sic] and Smith plunged a knife into Tinnen’s heart, killing him instantly. Smith turned himself into to Mr. Prettyman.

Steelville, Mo., October 8: The body of Pat Wallace, the murderer of the Logan family, hanged by a mob Monday night, was cut down and brought to town and stretched out on a plank, the noose still around his neck. His parents were told to come and get the body, but the father said he would have nothing to do with a son who murdered his parent’s best friends. A pine coffin was made last night, the body placed therein and will be buried by the roadside, where, many years ago, a negress who murdered her master’s child, was buried after being hanged according to law. Wallace was formerly a conductor on the Frisco road, but taking to drink he was discharged after being suspected of “lifting” freight and other misconduct. He drifted from bad to worse.

Died at the family home near Willard Tuesday night, Mrs. I.J. Edmondson.

It is with sorrow that we chronicle the death of Mrs. Martha Fine, wife of Judge F.E. Fine, which occurred at the family home on West Walnut street last Wednesday, October 13. Her funeral took place from the Church of the Immaculate Conception and her remains were laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery west of the city.
    Mrs. Fine was a most estimable and highly cultured lady, and the bereaved husband and his now motherless little boy have the sincere sympathy of the community.

October 22, 1886

Mrs. Lizzie Robinson, arrested at Seymour, was taken to Eureka Springs yesterday to answer to the charge of drowning her 2 year-old-son in February 1885. She was arrested at the time, but broke jail.

Isaac Newman has been arrested in Ozark county and taken to Jefferson City to await his trial at the next term of the United States district court for forging the name of him mother, Susan Newman, to pension certificates for the past 18 months, she having died previous to that in Ozark county.

October 29, 1886

Mr. J.G. Danforth died at his home 3 miles north of the city, Wednesday night, aged 38 years.

November 5, 1886

Deepwater, Mo Nov. 2 Last night a white man blacked, or a negro entered the house of Widow Prouse, two miles north of here. There was no one at home but a daughter and he shot her three times, two shots taking effect in her breast and one in her shoulder. She has been unconscious since except for a few moments, when she related what had occurred. Two parties have been arrest and the sheriff is after another one.

From Marionville Buzz Saw 21st ult.: Wm. Taylor, who was arrested at this place last spring and taken to Forsyth on the charge of murdering Mack H. Dimmick in the edge of Taney county had his trial last week. The verdict returned a verdict of not guilty, which was kept secret. Taylor walked to Chadwick, a distance of 25 miles, where he took the train to Marionville. The people of Marionville would have been very glad if he had located somewhere else, as he has failed to prove his innocence. He is receiving a cool reception by the citizens of Marionville.

The funeral of Mrs. Mary White, mother Mrs. John E. Phelps and J.T. White, Esq., took place last Sunday at the brick church five miles northwest of the city. Services were conducted by Elder E.G. Laughlin of the Christian church.

About one o’clock last Sunday two colored men, Adolphus Jones and Frank Turner at Good Children’s Lane, were engaged in joking each other, when Jones snapped a pistol pointed at Turner, not thinking it was loaded and the weapon discharged, the bullet entering the latter’s breast and causing his death in less than an hour. The two men worked on the Gulf railway and were known to be friends.

Last Monday night Tillman Barnes, a well-known farmer of Brookline township, in company with Mr. Thomas Burkhead, was returning home and when four miles southwest of the city the wagon struck a stump and Mr. Barnes fell out in front, one wheel passing over his body. Mr. Burkhead placed him the wagon and took him home, but he died of his injuries Tuesday. The funeral took place yesterday, his remains being laid to rest in Hazelwood Cemetery.

From the Carthage Press 28th ult.: W.A. Goad, who for some months has been living with his parents on west Chestnut street, but since last Thursday has been taking his meals at the Stiffler restaurant, and rooming in the Sennet block, terminated his earthly existence last evening, at his room, by taking a heavy dose of strychnine. Hal Galloway, a son-in-law of Mr. Stiffler, asked him to open the door and when he didn't, Miss Stiffler broke open the door and found Mr. Goad lying on the bed in terrible agony. Drs. Carter and Thomas were sent for. After the first convulsions ceased, he seemed to rally and when asked if wanted to see his parents, he said no, but desired that his teacher, Miss Lowen, be sent for, but this was not granted. The following letter was found: "It need not again be said, 'No sane person will take his own life.' I am to the last perfectly rational. I hope none will suppose why I committed the deed, which I will, for none can know but me. My love and forgiveness to all. Farewell friends. W.A. Goad."
    During rational moments he expressed a hope he would recover, but he had taken enough strychnine to kill six men. He died a few minutes after the arrival of his parents, who were not permitted to see him in his dying agony.l

November 12, 1886

Webb City, Nov. 6: An accident occurred in one of the mines known as the Stebbins tract today which resulted in the death of Mr. Ben Kirkendall. At noon he was being hoisted out of the shaft by a rope fastened in a loop-knot around his body and just as he was reaching the top, the loop slipped letting him fall back into the shaft—about 140 feet deep. His skull was crushed and his body otherwise bruised and injured, although no limbs were broken. He lived about an hour. He leaves a wife and three children.

Last Monday when the train on the Bolivar branch of the Frisco line was running at full speed this side of Wishart, Frank Cheek, a brakeman accidentally fell off, his head striking a rock causing his death almost instantly. The remains of the unfortunate man were brought back to North Springfield that evening for interment. He leaves two children. His mother and sister reside in Kentucky.

John O’Day Sr. died after a protracted illness with Bright’s disease at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. S.H. Noblet, in this city last Sunday evening, Nov. 7, 1886, aged 85 years. Deceased was born in Ireland, and leaves six children, 4 sons and 2 daughters, all grown. His wife preceded him to the grave only a few weeks. The funeral took place Tuesday from the Catholic Church and a large number of people followed to the resting place in the cemetery 1½ miles west of the city. Hon. John O’Day was in the city Tuesday to attend the funeral of his father.

From Ash Grove Commonwealth: About ten days ago, Mrs. Seralda Quick, a widow, who lived a couple of blocks north of the post office on Calhoun street took a tablespoon of arsenic with suicidal intent. She lingered along in the agonies of pain until last night when death came and relieved her. No definite reason can be given why she committed the act. She is 69 years of age and leaves several children to mourn her loss. Wm. Quick who resides at this place and Tom Quick a resident of Greenfield are her sons.

Harrison Ark., Nov. 11: Andrew J. Mulligan, alias James Page, the murderer of James N. Hamilton, was taken from the jail here by a mob last night and shot to death. He had been brought here from Marion county where he had committed the crime. The mob captured the guards and the jailer, who refused to open the door, but the keys were taken from him. A rope was placed around the wretch’s neck and he was dragged after a galloping horse of 4 blocks where the end of the rope was thrown over a limb of a tree and as the murderer was drawn up in to the air, his body was riddled with bullets. Mulligan was an employee of Hamilton, who owned a farm in Macon county, and he had shot his .employer without cause on Oct. 22.

November 19, 1886

From Peirce City Democrat: Sunday morning, Peter Gray, a farmer living near Prairie City, was brought to town, being affected with insanity. He was taken before the county court, adjudged insane and taken to the county jail to await the train for the asylum at St. Joe. When the deputies started with him for the jail he became violent and fiercely attacked his attendants, biting them severely about the hands and face. He was finally secured and confined. When at the jail, he suddenly showed signs of hydrophobia and began snapping and biting at Deputy Sheriff Beall. Three pairs of handcuffs were affixed in rapid succession, which were rapidly broken by the Herculean efforts of the wild and frantic individual. He was finally subdued by antidotes and later died.

Mr. D. Donham, father of circuit-clerk-elect W.W. Donham of this city, died one day last week at his home in Dade county, aged 77 years.

Died at his home in this city this morning, Capt. James M. Patterson, aged about 60 years. Deceased was a native of Ohio and came to this city more than 20 years ago, since when he practiced his profession of law up to the time of his death. He leaves a wife and four children.

November 26, 1886

From St. Louis Republican, Nov. 21: Last night ex-Gov. John S. Phelps quietly breathed his last in a room at the Sister’s hospital on Montgomery street near Grand avenue, attended by his son, Col. John E. Phelps, and the nurses. An previous the Hon. D.H. Armstrong had visited the hospital. He left the grateful people of the state to mourn his loss. Gov. Phelps had been ill for ten years from an affection of the kidneys, and during the past four years had been oftener on his back than on his feet. Last year he spent nearly eight months in close confinement at the Planter’s house, but rallied last spring.
          Ex-Gov. John Smith Phelps had been for more than forty years one of the most conspicuous figure in the history of Missouri. He was born December 22, 1814 in Simsbury, Conn. His father, Hon. Elisha Phelps, was a prominent citizen of that state. Gov. Phelps settled in Springfield in 1837 and continually resided there for nearly fifty years. Long sketch of his service in Congress. He was chairman of the ways and means of congress and was the nominee of the Democratic caucus for Speaker of the House. During the Civil War, he served as a colonel of a regiment of cavalry. He fought at Pea Ridge and was appointed military governor of Arkansas by President Lincoln. He ran for the senate after the war, but was defeated. He was elected governor in 1876. His wife died in 1878. He retired in 1881 and returned to Springfield. He left two children: Col. John E. Phelps of Springfield and Mrs. Montgomery of Portland, Ore. Long discussion of funeral, mayor’s proclamation, memorial of the bar and details of Governor Phelps’ politics.

December 3, 1886

Last Saturday while John Campbell, brakeman on the Frisco line, was switching cars at Ritchey he was run over and instantly killed. Campbell was running along the track to turn a switch when he fell into a cattle-guard and was held fast, the moving cars passing over his body and crushing him horribly. His remains were taken to Neosho where his wife, children and aged mother live. Deceased was about 34 years of age, had been in the employ of the company for the past six years, was sober and trustworthy.

Mrs. John Donnelly, living 2 miles south of Willard, met with a fatal accident Monday. She was sweeping the house and was removing a shotgun from under the bed, when it accidentally discharged, the shot striking her legs above the knees.
She died Tuesday. She was the daughter of the late Judge John R. Earnest, who was killed by a falling tree a few years ago.

December 10, 1886

James Mangrum, a worth citizen of Ozark county was shot from the brush by an unknown part on the 1st inst. and instantly killed. No cause for the homicide is given. On the same day, a 15-year-old daughter of Carter Harris, in the same county, while feeding the stock, shot herself through the head and died in a few minutes. It is not known whether it was accidental or intentional. A smaller sister who was with her at the time, becoming frightened, ran to the house and in getting over the fence broke her arm.

Jefferson City, Dec. 6: The Supreme Court today sentenced James S. Payton, a 16-year-old boy to be hanged January 14, 1887. The boy is so young that there is not doubt that a strong effort will be made to induce Governor Marmaduke to commute the sentence to life imprisonment, but there is little hope in this direction as the case of Hopkirk, the Henry county murderer, whose sentence was commuted only served a few months, released under habeas corpus, is still fresh. (Review of the case which occurred April 12, 1885) The child was Claudie E. Matthews, child of L..T. Matthews. He identified the killers as James S. and William R. Payton.

“Many Friends” of Brookline township send a late obituary of the late Tillman H. Barnes of that township who died so suddenly on the 2nd ult. Mr. Barnes was liberal and generous to the poor, a friend to the bereaved, and though having no children of his own, always voted for all the public school in his district the law would allow. All mourn his untimely death.

Died at the family home on Haydon street, this city, last Friday Pearl M., youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E.D. Ott, aged 11 years. The funeral took place Sunday afternoon from Christ Episcopal Church.

Miss Agnes, daughter of Judge Charles E. Harwood, aged 17 years, 3 months, died at the home of her parents on Benton avenue Tuesday after a lingering illness. Her remains were laid to rest at Maple Park Cemetery.

December 17, 1886

Last Saturday Deputy Sheriff Tom Cox arrested Josie Griggs, a young woman who worked as a domestic at the home of John Arnold, and took her Sunday to  Bolivar where she is wanted to answer to an indictment for infanticide. It is charged that more than a year ago she killed her illegitimate babe at Brighton, leaving it in the woods, and soon after came to this city where she has since lived.

December 24, 1886

Ava Record: Kirk Luna, who is charged with killing James Mangrum a few weeks ago, is undergoing a preliminary examination at Gainesville, Ozark county this week. The evidence is mostly circumstantial and will be sufficiently strong to bind him over. The Bald Knobbers seems to be attracting considerable attention throughout Southwest Missouri.

Henry Crump, who was stabbed by Fred Graife at Peirce City, died last Tuesday.

Mrs. S.T. Brannock, mother of our fellow townsman Mr. A.N. Brannock, died at the family home 8 mile east of Marshfield last Sunday morning.

Near Humansville, Polk county, Wednesday morning, Wm. Ward, aged 22  years, while hunting accidentally shot and killed himself. His body was found in the woods yesterday. Deceased was a worthy farmer and leaves a wife and child.

From the Neosho Miner and Mechanic: The half-breed who attempted rape on the wife of R. Roark, near the McDonald county line last week was known as Canada Bill and had a bad reputation. He went to the house or Robert Roark on Wednesday of last week near the Nation and McDonald county line, committed an assault on Roark’s wife, tearing her clothes nearly off and choking and bruising her severely. The screams of Mr. Roark and her children seemed to have alarmed the scoundrel and he abandoned his fiendish purpose and fled. After a swift pursuit by her husband and other men, Canada Bill was found in the Territory and a U.S. Marshal made the arrest and Canada Bill was brought back to Missouri. He confessed and was put under guard for safe-keeping, but that night he was taken from custody and hung near Sam Owens’ premises on Buffalo. The next morning his body was swaying in the breeze and we learn hung there all day. Nothing is known of the parties who executed this act of summary vengeance.

December 31, 1886

Died at the family residence on West Walnut street last Friday night, Oscar Bailey, son of Col. and Mrs. T.C. Love, aged nearly five years. The funeral took place from St. Paul’s M.E. Church South and the remains were buried in Maple Park Cemetery.

Died of abscess of the bowels at his home in this city, December 27, Maj. Charles Sheppard, aged 63 years. Deceased was born near Bridgeton, New Jersey, and came to this city about forty years ago, and has lived here since that time. For many years, or up the late war, he was one of Springfield’s leading merchants. Part of the time during the war he served in the 72nd Missouri state militia, of which he was elected major. He was one of the charger members of the Greene County National Bank and was its cashier from 1868 until his death. Maj. Sheppard was one of our most prominent and esteemed citizens, and at his death, unexpected as it was, was a shock to the entire community. He was one of the main pillars of Calvary Presbyterian Church since its organization in 1859.

Deceased leaves a wife and three children—Mr. J.D. Sheppard, Miss May Sheppard and a younger daughter. His remains were laid to rest at Maple Park Cemetery. His loss will not soon be replaced.

From the Mt. Vernon Chieftain: Tuesday morning, Will Gullett, a 17-year-old boy, residing three and a half miles west of town in the Patton neighborhood, while out hunting, was dangerously and in all probability fatally wounded by the accidental discharge of a shot gun in his hands. The contents lodged in his jaw (Details). The young man died on Wednesday morning, the 22nd inst.