Springfield Express

Springfield, Missouri

January 4, 1884

Mr. T.J. Apperson died very suddenly yesterday afternoon at his home in the Fourth Ward. The Doctors say his death was caused by ossification of the heart. Deceased was 66 years old and a native of Kentucky.

Died at the family residence last evening, Mrs. A.R. Fearn.

The wife of Albert Todd, colored, died very suddenly Tuesday evening, aged forty-five years. Her death is supposed to have been caused by heart disease.

January 11

From Marionville January 7: Last Thursday a child of Mr. Veatch,  a grocer, swallowed a goose quill which entered its left lung. Several physicians were summoned, but their united skill was not sufficient to remove the quill, and the child died Saturday. An incision was made in the child’s throat and its breath could be hear rattling through the quill.

Died at the family home near Bois D’Arc last Monday morning, Mrs. T.G. Craven, aged about sixty years.

Died at his residence in this city, about 4 o’clock this morning, Rev. Jas. H.. McLain, past of the Second Congregational Church. Deceased leaves a wife and five children besides a host of friends who sincerely mourn his loss. Rev. McLain was a classmate at college of President Garfield.

January 18, 1884

Mrs. Valeria G. Stone died at her home at Malden, Mass., last Tuesday morning, from the effects of a fall four weeks before. During the past few years she has given to schools and colleges over $400,000, $50,000 of which she gave to Drury College at this place. This elegant “Stone Chapel,” at the college was so named in honor of Mrs. Stone. 

F.M. Wolfe, Esq. last Friday received a card from Capt. W.H. Cravens, at Fayetteville, Arkansas, giving information of a homicide near that place on the 9th inst. Jeff. Gilliland known as the “Jesse James of Northern Arkansas,” and John Malone, while returning to their homes in the country, engaged in a quarrel, when Gilliland fired a shot at Malone, which the latter turned, the bullet hitting Gilliland in the head and in the language of Capt. C., “killing him too dead to skin.”

After a long illness with consumption, Mr. George R. Teed, a well known printer, died at his home in this city last Sunday night, aged 41 years. His funeral took place the following day and the remains were interred in Hazelwood Cemetery.

The father I.N. Brockman,  Esq. of Wilson township died at his home at Pleasant Hill, last Tuesday.

Dr. T.U. Flanner, formerly a prominent citizen of this city, died yesterday at his home in Hancock, Mich. His remains will be brought here for interment.

The funeral services of Rev. Jas. H. McLean, late pastor of the Second Congregational Church, were attended by a large throng of people at the Opera House last Sunday afternoon, including the ministers of the other city Churches. The remains were forwarded via the Frisco line to Harwich, Mass., for interment at that place.

            Rev. McLean was 54 years of age and a native of Scotland. He was educated principally at William College, Mass., where he was a class mate of President Garfield. He has resided in this city since the organization about eight months ago of the Church of which he was pastor, and by his sterling qualities won the esteem of all with whom he became acquainted. His bereaved wife and five children have the profound sympathies of a host of friends.

January 25, 1884

From Gunnison, Col. January 21: A fatal shooting affray occurred here this morning. Willis Kissee, a saloon-keeper and John Kellogg, a gambler, quarreled over a game of cards, in which Kissee was worsted. A short time after Kissee met Kellogg on the street and immediately drew a pistol. Kellogg attempted to wrench it from him, but slipped and fell. Kissee then fired, shooting Kellogg through the body. Although mortally wounded, Kellogg drew his gun, returning fire and killed Kissee instantly. Kissee was a violent man when under the influence of liquor and has frequently been before the Police court for assault and carrying weapons. He was formerly from Springfield, Mo., and leaves a family. Kellogg came from Kansas here and is unmarried. He is still alive, but there is little hopes of his recovery. 

Mr. Abner Herndon,  a prominent young citizen of Ozark county, was found dead in the woods one day last week, shot through the body by a ball from his own gun, which was found lying by his side. It is supposed that he accidentally shot himself two or three days before he was found, as his body had been badly mutilated by hogs or wild animals. When last seen alive young Herndon was on his way to a neighbor’s home to help him kill hogs.

On last Monday morning James Turner, an old citizen of Spring Creek Township, Douglas county, committed suicide or was foully murdered. His family, his wife and his stepson gave the alarm, and then the neighbors came in the old man was found lying on the porch, with a gullet through his brain and a rifle gun lying by his side. The deceased and his family have not been getting along very well together of late, and foul play is somewhat suspected.
            The Lebanon Rustic learns from Mr. Farris, who had just returned from a vicinity of the tragedy that Mrs. Turner and her son were under arrest, charged with murdering the dead man. Mrs. Turner and her son were the only person in the house at the time, but claim to be out of the room when the shot was fired. Two coroner juries held inquests, but the verdict of neither charged the accused with the killing. Public opinion in the neighborhood is divided. It is clamed that Mr. Turner and his stepson did not get along which is the strongest point in favor of the homicide at present, but there are other circumstances too conflicting for the public to express an opinion, as it cannot help but be doubtful.

Died at his home on South street last Monday night of consumption, Mr. Thos. F. Williams.

Died at West Plains, Wednesday morning, Mr. John C. Hanson.  

A young man named C.B. Yoachum, living 10 miles southwest of the city, it is reported, a few days since, while laboring under a sever attack of love-sickness, made an ineffectual attempt at suicide. (February 1) C.B. Yoachum and Miss Mary J. Hayes were licensed to wed a few days since, which will doubtless banish all thoughts of suicide from the mind of the happy groom.

The remains of Dr. Thos. U. Flanner arrived here Tuesday morning from his late home at Hancock, Mich., and were interred in Maple Park Cemetery. The funeral took place from the residence of Mrs. Wait. Dr. Flanner was born in Mt. Pleasant, Ohio, June 5th, 1831. He leaves a wife and two children, Miss May and Mr. James Flanner. Resolution have been adopted by the faculty of Drury College.

Mr. J.N. Williams received a letter from Ritchey, Mo, Wednesday morning, containing news of the death last Saturday near Newtonia of Mrs. Mary Douglas Price, aged nearly 40 years. Deceased was the daughter of Mr. Jno. H. Miller,  formerly a well-known citizen of this county, but who now resides at Ritchey.

February 1, 1884

In his room at the Merchant’s Hotel, Peirce City, on last Saturday morning, Col. W.T. Barry, a well-known citizen of Fayetteville, Arkansas, deliberately committed suicide by shooting himself through the heart. He left some writing on a pocket memorandum in which he said: “I have outlived all my friends or at least the last of them, and I think it is time for me to go.” Deceased leaves a wife and two children at Fayetteville to which place the remains were taken for interment.

Last Friday morning, Sheriff Klineline of Douglas county, arrived here having in custody a young man named Chas. Johnson and a woman named Sarah Clayton. The former he lodged in the jail here for safe-keeping and the latter he took to the jail at Marshfield. The two are alleged to be implicated in the killing of James Turner in Douglas county, who was Miss Clayton’s grandfather.

Near Dixon about 3 o’clock last Tuesday afternoon the engine drawing the west-bound passenger train on the Frisco line jumped the track and rolled down a high embankment instantly killing the engineer, Mr. G.M. Favor and bruising and scalding Thomas A. Robinson, the fireman to such an extent that he died in great agony about 9 o’clock that night. The passengers escaped injury. Mr. Favor lived at North Springfield and was one of the best and most popular men on the road. He was about 38 years old and a member of the Masonic fraternity. His bereaved wife and two fatherless little children have the sincere sympathy of the entire community. He was buried at Maple Park. Young Robinson lived at Dixon, the support of his mother and sister. He was sober and industrious and was highly respected by his associates and acquaintances.

February 8

Considerable excitement was created this morning by the announcement that a shocking suicide had been committed in North Springfield. A young man about 22 years old, light complexion, with auburn hair, well dressed and good appearances, came to the Transient Hotel about 3 o’clock yesterday afternoon and registered as F. Draper. He asked to board for a week. As the proprietor required pay in advance, he engaged board only until this evening when he expected a friend to arrive. When the proprietor, Mr. Baer when to call him to breakfast, he found him lying on hi face on the bed with his pistol in his hand against his right temple, his finger on the trigger and the pillow and surroundings deluged with gore.
            Mr. Baer notified Coroner Van Hoose. On examination they found two photographs of the same person—a young lady—in his vest pocket, which was written “Miss Cora A. Love.” A bottle of chloroform was found in another pocket, out of which a few grains were taken. Another envelope was found addressed to “Miss Cora Love, Salem, Mo.”
 Marshal Bearden has telegraphed Salem, Mo, for instructions regarding the disposition of the remains.

At Newburg last evening Conductor Eckstorms, while coupling cars, was knocked down on account of the drawheads slipping past each other and the train passed over his body, killing him almost instantly.

G.W. Whiteside, ex-sheriff of Dade county, was arrested in Harper county, Kans. and brought here, and yesterday J.G. White and the negro Taylor Smith were taken into custody by the Christian county authorities. The three men and one James Armstrong were all indicted by the grand jury of Christian county for the killing of Æneas E. Ridge at Joe Danforth’s saw mill on the 12th day of last June. The friends of young Ridge have employed Col. E.C. Boudinot of the Cherokee nation and Messrs. S.H. Body, T.J. Delaney and F.M. Wolf to assist Prosecuting Attorney Almas Harrington of Ozarks in prosecuting his slayers.  

February 22, 1884

Willie, son of M.P. and Mary Norman, died after an illness of several weeks at the family home near this place on the 14th inst, age 14 years. He was a youth of much promise. His premature death has cast a gloom over the entire community.

Mrs. Geo Butler, wife of a saw-mill man on Bull Creek in Christian county was found dead near her home last Monday morning. Foul play is suspected to have caused her death, and it has since been reported that her husband has been arrested, charged with committing the crime.

James Baswell, a farmer living in the northeast part of Taney county was found dead in his barn-yard on Thursday morning of last week, supposed to have been killed by a vicious cow.

February 29

Cases in the Circuit Court, Ozark:

Wm. Magill murder of Milan Dunlap on 25th of last May. Magill entered a plea of guilty and was sentenced to 50 years in the penitentiary.

G.W. Whiteside, J.G. White, Jas Armstrong, negro Taylor Smith for murder in first degree for killing of Æneas E. Ridge

Thomas Butler, charged with murdering his wife at their home near Sparta on the night of 17th inst. On that night Butler and wife retired as usual, but next morning her lifeless body was found stark and stiff lying on some logs about 30 yards form the house. Butler claims that he is innocent, but circumstantial evidence points strongly to him as the guilty party and his daughter testified at the coroner’s inquest that she had heard her father threaten to take her mother’s life. Butler is 36 years old and has six children.

Bois D’Arc Feb 27: Dr. L.M. Sims died at his home in this place on Feb. 24th of complicated pneumonia. He was taken away very suddenly, his sickness being brief but very severe. He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and his remains were buried under their auspices yesterday at Wesley Chapel on Grand prairie east of Cave Spring. Dr. Sims was a man of excellent character, who was above reproach and held in high esteem by all who knew him. Resolution was passed by the society and sent to the bereaved family.

Died on 23rd inst., at his residence six miles southwest of Springfield, Mr. Andrew J. Jackson, after a illness of two weeks which he bore patiently and without a murmur. He made his will and arranged all his earthly affairs. Deceased was born in Knox Co., Tennessee, March 17th 1832; came to this county before the war and was married to Emeline Williams in 1856. He leaves a wife and eight children (two of them married). The funeral took place from the Cumberland Union Church in Brookline and he was buried in the Brookline cemetery.  

March 7, 1884

 On Whittenberg prairie in the northwest part of this county last Saturday while John Morton was hauling wood his team ran away, and his little 10-year-old son, Willie, fell from the wagon, the wheels running over his head instantly.

From Lamar, Mo.,: Feb 29 About 1 o’clock this morning the house of Lawrence Clement, five miles southwest of Lamar, buried the ground and Clement himself was roasted alive, his head being burned completely off, his legs burned off to his knees, and his arms to the body. His head could not be found in the ashes. Fifty dollars in gold and other coin was found. A coroner’s jury found that Clement came to his death by suffocation while attempting to save his valuables.

March 15

On last Friday evening John Taylor and George Lane, in the northeast part of Taney county, became involved in a quarrel over a business settlement, when the latter drew a large knife and cut a deep gash over the former's heart, which it was though would prove fatal.

Died at the family residence on College street, Tuesday forenoon, Mrs. Maria Paxson, aged 62 years. The funeral took place yesterday morning, and the remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery.

Mr. Richard S. Gott died at his home 4 miles west of the city last Saturday, aged 78 years. His remains were buried Sunday in the cemetery near Brookline, Rev. J.B. Fly conducting the service. Deceased was one of the oldest and most highly respected citizens of Greene county, having moved here from Kentucky, his native state, more than forty year ago. He leaves a wife and three sons —Samuel J., Wm. H. and James, bedsides many friends and other relatives to mourn his loss.

From Rich Hill, March 11: Mrs. Mary Brown, mother of Col. E.H. Brown,  president of the Rich Hill coal company, died of old age at the residence of her son, William Brown, out at the coal mines last night. She was 74 years old, and for many years a resident of western Missouri.

March 21

Died at the family home in this city at 10:30 o’clock last Saturday night, after a lingering illness, Charles E.W. Walker, son of judge Ralph Walker, aged 16 years. The funeral took place Monday afternoon from Christ Episcopal church, Rev. W. Page Case conducting the impressive ceremonies, and the remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery.  

When the east-bound freight train on the Kansas City, Springfield & Memphis railroad was some eleven miles east of this city late Sunday evening, John Hand, a brakeman, accidentally fell between the cars and the wheels passed over his left leg and arm, mangling them horribly. The unfortunate man was brought back to the city and taken to the home of Mr. Jesse Sadler, where he died that evening. The deceased was about 30 years old and his home was Joliet, Ill. His remains were forwarded Tuesday morning to relatives at that place.

March 28, 1884

Last Monday an engine on the Frisco line, south of Rogers on the Arkansas division, jumped the track and rolled down an embankment, instantly killing the engineer, Patrick Mulligan. The remains were brought to the family residence at North Springfield, thence they were taken to Brookfield, Mo., for interment.  

The inquest over the body of Lucy Moore, the young woman who hung herself to a small oak tree, one mile southwest of the city, on the afternoon of the 30th inst., terminated on last Friday afternoon, when the jury returned a verdict to the affect that deceased had come to death by her own hand. Lucy Moore was of good personal appearance and only about 17 years old. She came here several weeks ago with one Jasper Moore. The two represented that they were husband and wife, having come from southwest Virginia. They were in destitute circumstances and Lucy obtained employment at the home of Maj. Jere C. Cravens  while Moore went to work for Thos. Phillips. Mrs. Moore stated that her maiden name was Bloomer. On the day preceding the suicide she went out to Mr. Phillips place and she and Moore quarreled. On the following day she returned to the city and was at Mr. Craven’s house, but said she would return to the country where she expected to find employment. It was noticed that she was acting strangely. Last Friday Jasper Moore was sent for, but he had already skipped the area. Lucy was prepared for a Christian burial. [A letter was received by post office a few weeks later for Lucy Bloomer, postmarked Fairview, Virginia].

April 4, 1884

Died of pneumonia at the family residence in the city at half past five o’clock, April 2nd, Charles Frank Weaver, eldest son of Chas. and Lizzie Weaver, aged 14y, 1m. and 23d. The funeral took place from the Cumberland Presbyterian church yesterday. The remain were interred at Maple Park Cemetery.  

Two sons of D.H. Mead, aged 10 and 15 years, went fishing on North Fork in Texas county on the 30th ult. and the younger accidentally fell into a deep hole of water. the older boy at once jumped in to rescue his brother and both were drowned.  

A serious smashup occurred on the Kansas City, Springfield & Memphis railroad near Spring City a few minutes after noon last Friday. While passing around a sharp curve the three rear cars of a boarding train, carrying some 16 tie loaders, all colored, jumped the traced and rolled down into a creek, injuring nearly all of the men who were brought to the city. Thornton Davis,  the foreman of the gang, from Macon City, had a leg so badly injured as to necessitate amputation. He died the following day. Andrew Greenstreet of this city lost an arm in the same way, and he and the others at last accounts were doing as well as could be expected.

April 11

Died of old age, last Friday morning, at the home of Rufus Douglas in the west part of the county, Susan Becknell.  Deceased was a native of Tennessee, and it is stated was 100 years old. She lived with the family of Mr. Douglas during the past 34 years.

April 18

Near Thomasville, in Oregon county, Leo Thomas committed suicide some days since by shooting himself through the head. His rash act is supposed to have been prompted by a lingering sickness, with which he had long been afflicted.

Died at the family residence in this city, April 12th, Mamie Adelle Buck, aged 4 years and 10 months, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Buck. The impressive services were conducted by Rev. W. Page Case of Christ Episcopal Church.  

Died at her home 1½ miles southwest of the city, at 1 p.m. yesterday, Mrs. Louisiana Shultz, aged 70 years.  

April 25, 1884

On North Fork in Texas county, on the 15th inst., Lafayette Upshaw,  while sitting with his back against a tree and his gun by his shoulder, struck his horse, which he was holding by the bridle rein, and the animal jumping back, the hammer of the gun, discharging the same, the contents taking effect in Upshaw’s knee. Physician amputated the limb, but the unfortunate man died the following day. he was 37-years-old and leaves a wife and five children.

Lebanon, April 20: J.A. Barnett, who has been teaching school at Buffalo, Mo., committed suicide at the Ozark House in this city lat night by taking morphine. He was discovered soon after taking the last dose, but the stomach having become partially paralyzed by former doses it was impossible to obtain any results from emetics. As soon as possible a stomach pump was brought into action, but all efforts proved futile. He died about midnight. Barnett was formerly teacher at Potosi, Mo., where he was well known. No cause was given for the suicide except that he claimed he had no friends and did not want to live. The body was returned to Buffalo for burial, as he directed by a letter written previous to his death.

May 2

Died Wednesday evening at the residence of Mr. A.R. McElhaney, 5 miles south of the city, Cyrus Vermillion, aged 15 years and 7 months.

Mrs. Caroline Sims, wife of Rev. Robert Sims, formerly of this city, who was burned to death  at her home in Texas a few weeks since, was a sister of Mrs. Frank Smith and Mrs. M.V. Ingram of this county.  

A young woman who went here by the name of Pearl Robinson died Tuesday night at the home of Mr. Thos A. Hutchins, two miles southwest of town and buried in the grave-yard there on the following day. She had been taken by parties here out in the country and left, and was trudging on foot back to the city and her strength failed when she reached Mr. Hutchins’ place, where she was kindly cared for until death relieved the poor creature of a life of shame and wretchedness. Verily, the way of the transgressor is hard.

About 10 o’clock Tuesday forenoon, a loud report, followed by the ringing of the fire bells, caused a lively commotion among the citizens of this city, and in few minutes the fire companies and hundreds of people were rushing to the Hammond flouring mills in the northeast part of the town, where the large boiler had exploded. Hiram G. Sullivan, a young married man who formerly worked at the mill happened to be near the engine room door and was bruised and cut about the head and face. His agony was so great it required four men to hold him until he could be conveyed home and physicians call. But the poor fellow never recovered from the terrible shock. He died about  6 o’clock that evening (more description of explosion).

At the family home in the 4th ward about 11 o’clock Tuesday morning, Mrs. Dulin, wife of Engineer James A. Dulin of the Gulf line, and a woman employed to wash were removing a boiler of hot water from the stove, when they accidentally dropped the vessel and the boiling water was thrown on their little 2-year-old girl Elsie, who was sitting on the floor nearby, horribly scalding the lower part of the child’s body, from the effect of which it went into repeated convulsions and died the following evening.

May 9

Died near Coriscana on Wednesday of last week, Samuel Ray, an old citizen of Barry county, accidentally fell out over the front gate of his wagon, sustaining injuries from the effects of which he died that night.

The infamous Charley Ford, one of the companions of the notorious Jesse James, committed suicide by shooting himself through the heart at the home of his parents near Richmond, Mo., last Tuesday forenoon. An appropriate ending for the wretch. The cause of the act is supposed to have been ill health as he was rapidly going down hill with consumption. Now let the infamous Bob follow his brother’s example and the case will be completed in the most approved style.

The calaboose at North Springfield was discovered on fire about four o’clock last Sunday morning, but by prompt efforts the two prisoners, Clem Cecil, a white carpenter and a negro named Greene Anderson, who were incarcerated for drunkenness the evening before, were rescued and the flames extinguished. Cecil was so badly injured that he died about noon Monday. The negro held his mouth to a hole in the wall, and thus saved himself from suffocation. Each of the men declared that the other set fire to the jail.

Dr. A.A. Lowdermilk died at his home in Bois D’Arc last Wednesday. His remains were interred yesterday under the auspices of the Odd Fellow, of which organization he was a member.

May 16

From the Lebanon Rustic May 8: It is with extreme sorrow that we announce this week the death of Mr. Matt H. Hooker, which occurred at his residence near Lebanon last Saturday afternoon. Deceased was one of the oldest and most highly esteemed citizens of the county. He had been a resident of the county for years, and was known and loved by everyone and his death has caused universal sorrow.
            He was in the 75th year of his age and died after an illness of several weeks. He leaves an aged wife and large circle of relatives to mourn his death, and the county loses a good citizen. The remains were followed to their last resting place in the city cemetery by the immense congregation at the church.

While fishing in the James river some 15 miles southwest of the city last Tuesday morning, a young man named Cook was taken with a cramp and drowned. He formerly lived in Kentucky.

May 23, 1884

From the Bolivar Free Press: We learn this morning that a little six-year-old daughter of James Origndorf, living on the Shady Grove road, eight miles southwest of Bolivar, was fatally burned last Friday. She was in the field with her Uncle, Perry Keen, a neighbor, who was burning corn-stalks. In some way her clothes caught fire and she was terribly burned. She lived twenty-five hours after the accident, when death came to the relief of the little sufferer.

Died at his home in this city Sunday morning after an illness of over three weeks, Dr. James T. Means, aged about 63 years. The funeral took place under the auspices of the Masonic Fraternity Monday afternoon and the remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery. Deceased was born in Monroe county, Kentucky, and came to Southwest Missouri in 1846, since when he has lived most of the time in this section of the state. He located here in 1869 and was one of the most prominent citizens and physicians of the city.

Died at his home two miles south of the city last Friday night, Mr. Joseph McCluer, father of Rev. M.L. aged over 70 years. Deceased was born in Louden [sic] county, Tennessee. His remains were buried Sunday in Maple Park Cemetery.

June 13

The deaf and dumb man who was killed by the Frisco train near Niangua some days since, was named Mathew Capie.  

From the Cassville Democrat: On Bull Creek in Christian county, John Weatherman was seriously, if not fatally stabbed by a son of Capt. John McCoy. Weatherman was stabbed in the face, the left side and in the left arm, all of which are dangerous wounds. It appears that the parties have long had a grudge at each other over some little mishap in the affairs of domestic life. Weatherman will probably die.

From the Osceola Sun: Mr. Jim Canada while at the river last Tuesday, found a body floating. He recognized it as the body of Mr. John Rader, a young man about 20 years of age, who lived in the neighborhood. Mr. Rader has been working of L. Atterberry in Butler township and went over to his mother’s in Jackson township and crossed the river on a raft. He was drowned while returning to Atterberry’s. The body of a young man was found in Muddy, just above it’s mouth last Thursday. The body was recognized as Ebb Loyd,  a son of Doc. Loyd living near Brownington. Young Loyd was subject to spells of insanity and at such times would leave home; and being harmless and well-known among the neighbors he would sometimes remain away a week or more. Along the bank of the creek was seen footprints in the mud, and one place were it is supposed he slipped into the water and was drowned.

June 20

George Hudson, who is confined in the Newton county jail at Neosho gives an account of the manner in which he shot and killed John Goodykoontz and Nathan Tabor of Granby. Details. The altercation that caused the homicide was brought about on account of the two men who were killed charging that Hudson robbed Goodkoontz’s safe about a year previous.

Last Saturday evening Robt. Savage, aged 21, and Heywood Hicks, aged 11, were both drowned n Patterson’s mill pond on James river. They were bathing and Savage was swimming across the pond with the boy on his back, but becoming exhausted when about the center of the pond, he sank down and the water being quite deep, both went beneath the surface and were drowned. Their bodies were subsequently recovered.

A sad accident was reported from Franklin township, the county, last Friday. Geo. Hoop, aged 16 years, shut himself up in a room and with a double-barreled shot-gun committed suicide by blowing his brains out. The act is supposed to have been due to a hypochondrical state of mind super induced by a frail constitution. He attempted suicide a few days before by hanging, and was prevented. His parents removed to this county from Illinois not long since and are comparative strangers in the locality where they live.

June 28, 1884

Last Monday W.L. Chapman and T.C. Asbridge became involved in an altercation in Kinney’s Saloon at the northwest corner of the public square. The origin of the trouble was on account of an assault alleged to have been made some time ago by Mr. Chapman on the sister-in-law of Asbridge. Details of assault. Asbridge struck Chapman with a pocket-knife left and right. Chapman fell to the floor and physicians were summoned. The severest gash was through the muscles of the abdomen and peritoneum. One thighbone was fractured. Chapman was placed on a special train to convey him to his home one mile west of the city were he died at 3 o’clock Wednesday morning.
            Deceased was about 50 years old, and a well known citizen of this county, having lived here nearly all his life. He leaves an estimable wife and four children. The funeral took place from the family residence.
            Asbridge was released on the grounds of self-defense and his mental and physical infirmities. The grand jury has yet to indict.

Sheriff C.H. Chandler of Linn county, Kans. was here last Saturday night on his way home from Carroll County, Ark., where last Friday he overhauled on the public road one Lewis Wampler, who on the 25th of last month murdered the Anderson family, consisting of husband, wife and four children in Linn county. Several shots were exchanged. When Wampler realized he could not escape he placed the muzzle of his pistol to his head and blew his own bran out, thus saving the expense of a trail in court followed by a possible sentence to the penitentiary on the plea of insanity.

July 4

School girl, Mary Ellston, aged 17 years, attempted to end her life after seduction by H.H. Mitchell. She shot herself producing a severe though not dangerous wound. She is the daughter of S.T. Ellston, an industrious upright gentleman. He and his family moved here three years ago and was he first employed at Ingram mill and then Hammond mills.
            About ten months ago Mary began a correspondence with H.H. Mitchell, advertising manager of the Herald, who has a wife and three children at his home in the fourth ward. The two began to meet and had regular clandestine meetings until last Sunday forenoon. Mary gave a note to a lady friend to be delivered to Mitchell which was handed to Mr. S.R. Sanders to b put in the post office. The envelope becoming unsealed Sanders read the note, addressed to H.P. Wilson
(Mitchell’s private box at the post office).
            (Details as to her father learning of the affair, Mary’s story to the reporter, etc.. On July 11, the newspaper reported that H.H. Mitchell had left town, but returned and resumed his position on the Herald. )

A quarrel between Dr. A.R. Gonce and Chas. Kaiser near Highlandville, Christian county, was renewed Friday. They separated, however, without violence. Gonce went on to Ponce de Leon and armed himself with a breech-loading shot gun. On his way home, he rode up the fence where Kaiser was plowing and after challenging Kaiser shot him dead. Gonce then went to Ozark and gave himself up. Gonce has a reputation for getting into brawls with his neighbors and finished a two years term in the Tennessee penitentiary for bigamy before coming to Missouri about two years ago. He is about 50 years old.
            Charlie Kaiser was about 45 years old, a sober and industrious farmer and quite popular. He leaves a wife and children.

Poem entitled, “Reflections from the Offended One on Hearing of the Death of Mr. Lowry Chapman.”  

From Memphis Avalanche 27th ult.: About 8 o’clock last night John Jones of Springfield died at Gaston’s from the effect of laudanum, taken with suicidal intent. Jones went to Gaston’s several days ago and was a very quite boarder. Found on him was a letter written to his wife, but the content are unknown. Mrs. Jones arrived from Springfield and took charge of her husband’s remains which will be returned to Springfield.
            The man referred to above formerly kept a grocery store on East Walnut street. He has attempted suicide twice before. His remains were taken to Charleston, this state, for interment.

Ed Teverbaugh, an 11-year-old boy was killed Wednesday afternoon when lightning struck his home in the northwest part of the city. A long cut was made in the flesh on the right side of the breast and three cuts on the right leg as if done with a sharp knife. Mrs. Teverbaugh and the rest of her children who were in the room escaped unhurt.

July 18

From the Bolivar Herald: Walter E. West, step-son of J.E. Russell, living west of Bolivar was the victim of a strange accident last Saturday. He was killed by a revolving hay rake when the mules attached to the wagon attempted to run away and the wagon tilted. Details of the accident.

Died at the family residence in this city Wednesday morning, Harry, aged 2 years, son of Mr. and Mrs. B.R. Brewer.

A collision between two freight trains on the Frisco road near Dixon last Tuesday night resulted in the wreck of three engines and several cars. Wm. Harris, a fireman was killed outright and a brakeman named Rhodes, both of Newburgh, was slightly injured.

August 1, 1884

Little Rhoda, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F.H. Shephard, died at the family home in the first ward early last Sunday morning.  

August 8

At Golden City last Tuesday night, S.S. Johnson suicided by cutting a blood vessel in his wrist and bleeding to death.  

James Sherrow in Christian county some days ago committed suicide by hanging himself to the joists in his house. The rash act is said to have been prompted by domestic troubles although he had only been married four months.

Near Southwest City, McDonald county, last Friday, Pat Boyle while drunk made a brutal assault on his wife at the home of his father-in-law named Judah. Judah interfered to protect his daughter, when Boyd made an attack upon him with a knife, whereupon Judah shot him dead.

August 29

The trial of Garland A. Mann,  for the murder of Dr. A. W. Chenoweth near Pineville, McDonald county, terminated with a verdict of guilty and the court sentencing him to be hung Oct 17th. Maj. Jere C. Cravens  of this city was one of the attorney for the prosecution and his speech was pronounced one of the ablest and most telling efforts ever made before a jury in the Southwest.

In the circuit court at Ozark, Thomas Butler,  charged with murdering his wife near Sparta, entered a plea of guilty to murder in the second degree and was sentenced to 97 years in the penitentiary. His crime was one of the most diabolical ever committed in Christian county.

During a storm on Thursday of last week Jacob Hines near Fair Grove was struck by lightning and killed.  

Died at the residence of her uncle E.D. Pipkin, in Center township on 16th inst., Miss Leora Wallace, daughter of Mr. John L. Wallace, aged 22 years. Her remains were interred at Johns Chapel.  

From Bolivar Free Press: We learn of a distressing accident that occurred Wednesday of last week in southern part of Hickory county. A farmer, Jasper Coon, was fixing the lock of his gun which he had lying across his lap. His three-year-old boy was standing by, but had passed around unnoticed by the father. The weapon was accidentally discharged and the child was fatally shot in the bowels, dying the next day.

September 12, 1884

At Fair Play, Polk county last Saturday an altercation over some trivial matter resulted fatally to a man named Jas. Red, who, it is said, attacked John Bayless with a sling-shot, when the latter cut him with a knife, from the effects of which he died about one hour afterward. Bayless gave himself up to the sheriff of that county last Monday, claiming that he had acted in self-defense.

September 26

From Mr. S.M Brake, who lives at Seymour, Webster county, we learn the particulars of a homicide at that place last Saturday. Two men who were teamsters and partners engaged in hauling timber, one named Chas. Tracey, the other Dodson, were in Seymour, both under the influence of whiskey, became involved in a quarrel. Tracey stabbed Dodson in the back with his pocket knife. Dodson  ran about 20 yards and picked up a piece of timber and turned on Tracey, who was following him. Tracey then started to run and Dodson struck him on the back of the head, crushing his skull and killing him almost instantly. Dodson then got on his wagon and drove to him home about 2 miles south of Seymour. Dodson has a family. Tracey leaves a wife, but no children. The two men had apparently been good friends up to the time of the homicide.

About 8 o’clock last Saturday night at Fordland, in Webster county, John Daniels and Harvey Hargess got into a quarrel over a game of cards in Geo. V. Wester’s saloon, and in the row Hargess picked up a lighted coal oil lamp and threw it an Daniels, who dodged, and the lamp struck something on the counter and burst, the oil flying all over Wester, who was behind the counter, setting his clothes on fire, the flames instantly enveloping his entire body burning him in a horrible manner, from the effects of which, after suffering great agony, he died about 2 o’clock Sunday afternoon.
            Wester was about 50 years old and leaves a wife and several children. Hargess, who ahs a wife and children lives one mile northwest of Fordland, was placed under arrest Saturday night.

On the 27th of last September, Samuel Odell, proprietor of the Hotel de Odell on Boonville street, was tried before Justice Z.M. Rountree on the charge of having assaulted John F. Baker. The jury returned a verdict of guilty and fined Odell $7 and costs, whereupon he appealed the case to the circuit court, where he was afterwards discharged as Baker, the prosecuting witness had gone back to Canada.  

            Chas. T. Noland, son of Col. J.B. Noland, president of the Exchange Bank, defended Odell in the above case and for his services presented a bill of $25 which Odell refused to pay. Finally Noland sued for the amount before Justice Rountree, who gave a verdict for $20 in favor of the plaintiff. A few minutes after the trial was over, or about 3:30 p.m. Noland, Maj. Jere C. Cravens, Jas. R. Vaughan and E.C. O’Day were standing on the sidewalk along the west side of Kirby’s saloon, in Patten alley, engaged in conversation about the trial and threats Odell made. Odell then came down the stairs from Justice Rountree’s office and walked along the alley until he met the four men going north. With an oath, Odell struck Noland on the back of the head and neck, causing him to stagger forward to the middle of the alley, his hat falling off. Noland immediately recovered himself, drew his pistol and commenced shooting at Odell with almost lightning rapidity at the same time.
         Shortly after Odell died on Tuesday, Noland surrendered himself on his bond of $1,000. E. Bourquenot, Mrs. Odell’s brother made the charge of second degree murder and Noland gave a new bond of $5,000.
        The funeral of Odell took place on Wednesday afternoon and the remains were buried in the Catholic cemetery west of the city, at which a large number of people were present including members of Fidelity lodge A.O.U.W. of which Odell was a member.
         Samuel Odell was born in East Hartford, Conn., October 8 1834, served in the Union army during the war, afterwards went to St. Louis, when he came to this city 16 years ago, and lived here most of the time since. He leaves a wife and two children, a girl of 12 years and a boy of 9 years. His family will receive a benefit of $2000 from the Ancient Order of the United Workmen.

An accidental homicide occurred last Saturday morning in Mrs. Cynthia Keeling’s kitchen on Robberson Avenue between Lynn and Division street. One of her son, T.C. Keeling, aged 22, was in the act of taking a 32-caliber pistol from the safe drawer to put it in his truck, when the weapon was accidentally discharged, the ball entering the skull at the upper part of the right side of the forehead of his brother, Leroy Keeling, aged 16, causing death in about thirty minutes.

October 3, 1884

The Journal this morning, received a dispatch from Forsyth stating that John B. Morgan, aged 23, of  Douglas county, was drowned in White river Wednesday while swimming after his fishing pole that a fish was pulling into the stream.

Tom Mathews, who shot and killed John Harris Stone county some days since, was before Judge O.B. Smith on a write of habeas corpus yesterday, but bail was not granted and he was put back in jail to await trial at the next term.

From Mt. Grove Prospect: Last Thursday, David Sanders of Little Creek, while in the field gathering corn, laid his rifle on a sack of corn. On reaching for it again he grasped the rifle by the barrel and drew it toward him when the trigger caught on the sack , discharging the contents into his body just below the nipple. He died Tuesday evening.

Died after a brief illness with peritonitis at the family home on Boonville street in this city, September 26, 1884, John Francis, the beloved son of Mr. and Mrs. F.S. Hefferman, aged 8 years, 2 months, 26 days. The funeral took place the following day from the family residence and the remains were lad in their last resting place in the Catholic Cemetery west of the city.  

October 10

A letter from Forsyth stated that near that place on Tuesday night Newton Herrell shot and killed his father, Amos Ring, and then surrendered himself of officers. No further particulars received.

From Pineville News A fatal accident befell the two year-old son of Thomas Proctor, living three miles up Big Sugar creek from this place last Sunday morning. While playing in the yard with the other children, his little sister who had him in her arms, told him to take a bone from another of the children that was [sic] nearby, and in attempting to do, he jumped from his sister’s arms and falling upon a large stone was killed almost instantly.  

October 18

Died in St. Louis, October 3, 1884, Mrs. Chas. H. Ervay. The funeral took place from the family home in this city last Saturday afternoon and the remains were interred in Maple Park Cemetery.  

Early last Wednesday morning the dead body of Robert Opderbeck, a carpenter who came here over a year ago, was found lying on the table in the kitchen of Mr. John Stutzman in the third ward, where he boarded. Not long ago deceased drew $100 out of Holland’s bank, that he derived from an estate in Germany, since which time he has loafed and drank whiskey quite freely. Tuesday a physical was called who prescribed for him, but it appears that strong drink had got in its work leaving his mind in a bewildered state. He was heard in his room about 2:00 o’clock in the night and on the following morning was found dead. Over his right eye was a cut that no doubt caused by his falling against something during the night. From papers left by deceased it was ascertained that he came from Barmen, Germany, where his relative now live.

October 23

The trial of Albert G. Layton, charged with murder in the first degree for shooting to death J.M. Everett, a merchant at Forsyth, on the 22d of September 1883, terminated in the Taney county circuit court at Forsyth last Saturday, the jury returning a verdict of not guilty.  

A shocking casualty occurred on the North fork of White river in Ozark county on 15th inst., at which time Bud Mitchell, aged 28, was killing fish with giant powder, when he accidentally caused a stick of the powder to explode in his hands, blowing the right hand completely off and tearing the flesh from the right side of his fact and neck and severely burning his eyes. At last accounts his recovery was considered very doubtful.

October 23

A row with fatal results occurred in T.J. Duncan’s saloon at Bois D’Arc about half past 5 o’clock last Friday evening. Several times before that hour during the day Greene DeBord, his brother Elisha and some of their friends had visited the saloon, and all were more or less under the influence of drink, when at the time stated John Hanley threw a beer glass against the wall and broke it. Barton Wildes, Mr. Duncan’s bar-keeper demanded they pay for the glass and drew his revolver. Others drew their pistols (details) One ball struck Greene DeBoad on the right clavicle and lodged near the spine; Elisha DeBord received a severe flesh wound and another entered Wildes’ body, passing through the chest, killing him almost instantly. The conflict arose over DeBord’s failure to get enough names on a petition to renew his liquor license while T.J. Duncan succeeded. On the same night John Hanley, one of the young men implicated in the affair, was arrested in this city and was lodged in jail.  
         After the inquest, Prosecutor T.J. Delaney had three young men, Elisha DeBord, David Rodgers and M.J. Bouldin placed under arrest.

October 31

Wesley Pritchett, indicted by the Lawrence county grand jury for killing John Vermillion on the 3rd of last July, was arrested in White county, Ark., and last week taken to Mt. Vernon and lodged in jail to await trial.

November 7, 1884

Died, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Mary McCracken in Clay township, this county, last Saturday evening, Mrs. Anna A. Ingram, wife of the late Martin Ingram, aged eighty years. Deceased was one of the most highly esteemed of the early settlers of this county, and leaves several grown-up children and numerous other relative in this county. Among her sons are Hon. M.V. Ingram, Mr. A.F. Ingram, and Hon. Benton H. Ingram, the last of whom is a prominent official of Pettis county.
            Mrs. Ingram’s remains were followed to their last resting place in Hazelwood Cemetery by a large concourse of friends and relatives.

All persons indebted to the estate of John W. McQuigg, deceased, are requested to come forward at once to the office of Massey & McAfee, Springfield. R.B. Woodward, Administrator.

Died at the family home on Grant street, this city, last night, Anna, infant daughter of J.C. and Laura A. Webb.

November 14

Dr. John W. Armstrong, the founder and for many years editor of the Lebanon Rustic, died at his home in Camden county on the 28th ult. His remains were buried under the auspices of the Masonic Fraternity on the following day.

Mr. Wm. B. Edwards died at the home of Henry Brockman in this city on November 7th 1884, after a protracted illness. His remains were interred on the following day in Hazelwood Cemetery. Deceased was one of the oldest settlers in this part of the state, having come here from Tennessee in 1833, since when he resided most of the time in this county. He leaves a wife and one son, Jas. P. Edwards, besides a large number of friends.

November 28, 1884

The wife of Mr. W.D. Rice at Walnut Grove died quite suddenly last Saturday. The immediate cause was an overdose of morphine, which she had used on account of a chronic ailment. Deceased leaves a husband and one little child besides parents and numerous friends to mourn her loss.  

Died at his home 7 miles south of the city on the night of the 20th inst., Mr. L.L. Hamblin, aged 23 years. Deceased was the youngest son of Squire Abner Hamblin and leaves a wife and one child. His remains were buried at the family grave yard last Saturday.

On Wednesday of last week, L.H. Goodrich came to the city from Walnut Grove to attend to some business in connection with the circuit court. Last Friday he went into Rathborn’s store shortly before 7 o’clock and hastily drawing his 15 caliber American bull dog pistol placed the nuzzle to one side of his head and pulled the trigger.
            L.H. Goodrich was nearly 40 years old and formerly kept a store at Elkton, Hickory county at which place he was also postmaster and justice of the peace. Nearly two years ago he left Elkton and went to Walnut Grove, where he kept hotel and a livery stable. He leaves a wife and three children.
            Goodrich was a strong Republican and the recent reverses of his party, together with the fact that he had domestic infelicities and had been indulging freely in strong drink, may have produced a fit of mental aberration, during which he sought relief from his troubles with death. His remains were taken to Walnut Grove for interment.

December 5

Mr. and Mrs. Weed’s babe, aged nearly one year, died yesterday forenoon.  

December 12, 1884

At Cabool, Texas county, last Saturday evening Jim Hicks, a saloon keeper, and Robert Barnes, who was employed at Campbell’s saw-mill near that place, engaged in an altercation over a small account, during which the former drew his pistol and shot the latter through the head, killing him instantly. Hicks was immediately placed under arrest.
           Mr. Barnes, the murdered man, was buried near Cabool, last Monday. he leaves a wife and three small children. It caused considerable excitement and it was feared Hicks could be lynched so he was moved to Springfield, and carried back to Cabool the following day.

From the West Plains Gazette: We learn that John H. Digg, editor of the Maries county Courier, shot and instantly killed Thomas M. Watkins, editor of the Maries Weekly Herald at Vienna, Mo. No particulars were available. From reading the respective papers of these two men, each contains the most miserable and low down personal abuse to the editor of the other. On the 27th, Watkins called Digg a “liar” and a “contemptible crank and a sucker.” Digg retaliated by calling Watkins “tomwodkins” a “contemptible, dirty, low-born dog, a miscarriage, etc. etc.”"

At a special term of circuit court at Ava, Douglas county, Morgan Reilly, charged with killing Tom Alsup on the 4th of November, was held in bond of $10,000.  

In the circuit court last Friday the case of Sterling and John P. Gilmore, charged with murdering Jos. Parks, colored, on Clear creek, this county, was continued.  

From the Neosho Times: Last Thursday three colored lads, Horace Kincade, Coleman Baker and another whose name we failed to learn went hunting. Young Baker allowed his gun to get caught in some brush and it accidentally went off, the charge taking effect in the face of Horace Kincade, totally destroying both eyes and seriously wounding him. The wounded boy was taken to his home and medical aid summoned. Wednesday morning after passing a night of awful agony, he died.

December 19

Last Saturday morning a colored man who gave his name as Gray was found near the brick church, 5 miles northwest of this city, in a dying condition. He was taken into the church where he died in a few minutes. Gray was about 30 years old and a scar on one cheek. On his person was found $10. It is supposed that he came from Mississippi, and that his death was caused by exposure during a protracted spree.

December 26

Died at his home 4 miles south of this city Dec. 23, 1884, L.A.D. Crenshaw, aged 64 years. Mr. Crenshaw has been afflicted with sciatica rheumatitis for the past year and his death has been anticipated for several weeks. Deceased was one of the oldest and wealthiest citizens of the county and has been a leading spirit in many of the most important local enterprises. He was one of the chief actors in securing to this city the popular Kansas City, Ft. Scott & Gulf railroad, at a time when he was bitterly antagonized by certain others who tried to sell out to the Frisco company. At the time of his death he was president of the Crenshaw Hardware Co., Springfield Iron Words and Maple Park Cemetery. That he was a staunch believer in Greene county real estate is shown by the fact that he recently refused $68,000 for his fine farm south of the city.
            Mr. Crenshaw, in company with his father and brother came from Nashville, Tennessee, to this county in 1836, and with the exception of two years spent in California in 1849-50, has resided here since that time. Deceased leaves a wife and large family of children.

Wednesday evening about dark N.J. Keltner, an employee at the Frisco yards, while standing on one of the numerous tracks at North Springfield watching a train on one side was struck by engine and instantly killed, his body being horrible mangled. Deceased leaves a wife and one child to mourn his untimely death.

The funeral of the late J.B. Dexter will take place form the residence of Mr. J.J. Griffith at 10 o’clock this forenoon. Mr. Dexter was formerly mayor of this city.

The editor of the Douglas county Herald says of Jim Hicks, who shot and killed Robert Barnes at Cabool a few weeks since:  “We were once a school-mate of Hicks, the murderer, and his reputation was for haughtiness, arrogance and more than once he was the text of our preceptor’s morning lecture. He has an uncle, Wm. Cole, in the Jefferson City penitentiary, serving a life sentence for the murder of his own wife and the wife of his brother Geo. Cole.  

John G. Ellis, while out hunting in Gasconade county, one day last week, shot and killed his particular friend and neighbor, John McDaniel. He took him for turkey.